Integrating a square root function

In summary: Sorry.In summary, the problem is to find the arc length of the curve defined by x = √t and y = 3t -1 on the interval 0 < t < 1. The attempted solution involves finding the derivatives of x and y, and then setting up an integral to solve for the arc length. However, the integral becomes difficult to solve and the person suggests looking for similar integrals in a textbook or online. They also note that a simple change-of-variables could make the problem easier. Finally, they ask that bold fonts not be used in posts as it can be annoying and intimidating.
ande
Problem statement:
Find the arc length of the curve defined by x = √t and y = 3t -1 on the interval 0 < t < 1attempted solution:
dx/dt = 1/2t-1/2 , dy/dt = 3 and dx = dt/ 2√t
dy/dx = 6√t
length = ∫01 √(1 + (6√t)2) .dt/ 2√t
= ∫01 √1 + 36t) dt/2√t
now I'm stuck with a product that is very difficult to solve using integration by parts or by trig substitution. Please shed some light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ande said:
Find the arc length of the curve defined by x = √t and y = 3t -1 on the interval 0 < t < 1attempted solution:
dx/dt = 1/2t-1/2 , dy/dt = 3 and dx = dt/ 2√t
dy/dx = 6√t
length = ∫01 √(1 + (6√t)2) .dt/ 2√t
= ∫01 √1 + 36t) dt/2√t
now I'm stuck with a product that is very difficult to solve using integration by parts or by trig substitution. Please shed some light.

If I was doing the problem I would first perform a simple change-of-variables to make the problem easier. However, PF rules forbid me from saying more, except to suggest you look in your textbook and/or course notes (or on-line) to find similar integrals.

And: please stop using bold fonts in your posts. It is annoying and a bit intimidating.

ande said:
Find the arc length of the curve defined by x = √t and y = 3t -1 on the interval 0 < t < 1
Looking at the equation. I can see that y = 3x2-1. Furthermore t=0⇒x=0 and t=1⇒x=1.

Ray Vickson said:
And: please stop using bold fonts in your posts. It is annoying and a bit intimidating.
Fixed in original post...
The excess bolding comes from deleting the template boilerplate, but missing the bold tags.

Likes ande

Related to Integrating a square root function

What is a square root function?

A square root function is a mathematical function that takes the square root of a number as its input and outputs the number that, when squared, gives the original number. It is represented by the symbol √ and can be written as y = √x.

What is the process of integrating a square root function?

The process of integrating a square root function involves finding the antiderivative of the function. This can be done by using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. Once the antiderivative is found, the integration process is complete.

What are the applications of integrating a square root function?

Integrating a square root function is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems related to displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used to find the area under a curve in calculus.

Can any square root function be integrated?

Yes, any square root function can be integrated as long as the limits of integration are defined and the function is continuous within those limits. However, some functions may require more advanced integration techniques to find their antiderivatives.

How can integrating a square root function be useful in real-life scenarios?

Integrating a square root function can be useful in real-life scenarios such as calculating the volume of a cone, finding the time it takes for an object to reach a certain height when thrown with a known initial velocity, or determining the amount of medication to be administered based on its rate of absorption in the body.