Integrate x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx)

• Thread starter albega
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the student is seeking help with integrating a given function using a substitution. After receiving a hint, they were able to successfully solve the problem. The conversation also includes a reminder to post homework in the correct forum.
albega

Homework Statement

I need to integrate x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx) with respect to x.

The Attempt at a Solution

This follows from a substitution of the form x=cost in a textbook I'm reading - they jump to the solution straight from the above and I have no idea how to go about it - any hints will be very gratefully appreciated, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
albega said:

Homework Statement

I need to integrate x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx) with respect to x.

The Attempt at a Solution

This follows from a substitution of the form x=cost in a textbook I'm reading - they jump to the solution straight from the above and I have no idea how to go about it - any hints will be very gratefully appreciated, thanks :)

Hint: [tex]\int \frac{Au + B}{\sqrt u}\,du = \int Au^{1/2} + Bu^{-1/2}\,du.[/tex]

pasmith said:
Hint: [tex]\int \frac{Au + B}{\sqrt u}\,du = \int Au^{1/2} + Bu^{-1/2}\,du.[/tex]

Got it, thanks! Was that something you could spot or did you just know it from experience - I don't think I would ever have thought of something like that...

You also should make an attempt to post HW in the correct HW forum. There is a perfectly good Calculus-HW forum listed right below this one, which is where this post belongs.

SteamKing said:
You also should make an attempt to post HW in the correct HW forum. There is a perfectly good Calculus-HW forum listed right below this one, which is where this post belongs.

Thread moved to Calculus HH. :smile:

Related to Integrate x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx)

1. What is the purpose of integrating x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx)?

The purpose of integrating x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx) is to find the area under the curve of the given function. This is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as calculating the work done by a force or finding the center of mass of an object.

2. How do you solve the integral of x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx)?

To solve the integral of x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx), you can use the substitution method. Let u = a^2+b^2-2abx, and then solve for dx in terms of du. This will give you a new integral in terms of u, which can be solved using the power rule or other integration techniques.

3. Can this integral be solved without using substitution?

Yes, it is possible to solve the integral of x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx) without using substitution. This can be done by using the trigonometric substitution method, where you substitute x = (a+b)sinθ and then solve for dx in terms of dθ. This will give you a new integral in terms of θ, which can be solved using trigonometric identities.

4. What is the domain of the function x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx)?

The domain of x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx) depends on the values of a and b. However, in general, the function is defined for all real values of x except for when a^2+b^2-2abx = 0, as this would result in a division by zero. Therefore, the domain of the function is all real numbers except for x = a/b or x = b/a.

5. How is x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx) related to the Pythagorean theorem?

The function x/sqrt(a^2+b^2-2abx) is related to the Pythagorean theorem because it is equivalent to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle with sides of length a, b, and x. This can be seen by rearranging the function to sqrt((a^2+b^2)/x - 2ab/x^2), which is similar to the Pythagorean theorem formula c^2 = a^2+b^2.