Integrate divergence of a vector over an area

In summary, the problem was that the student was confused about how to solve a calculus problem that they had seen in a previous math class. The first solution they tried involved integrating over the surface, but they were unable to remember how to do this so they turned to a second solution that involved using divergence theorem. However, they were unable to correctly calculate the necessary integral and ended up using a approximation.
JMoody
Hello, I'm hoping somebody can give me some insight on how to solve this problem. This was a solid mechanics exam question and I wasn't able to finish it because I'm rather weak in math.

1. Homework Statement

WOxeM7f.jpg

Homework Equations

Recall divergence theorem for part ii. ∫div(V)dA = ∫V⋅ndS where n is normal to the surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part i.
Not an issue, I can solve it easily.

Part ii.
I can apply divergence theorem no problem.
For the n vector field I get:
n1 = -e2
n3 = -e1
n2 = .707(e1 + e2)

The problem is that I've been out of school for quite a while, and I can't remember how to successfully integrate over the surface (perimeter) now. I realize I need to break it up into parts for each line of the surface, but it's been years since I've taken calculus.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For c1, you will have ##\int_0^1 V\cdot n_1 \, dx_1##.
For c3, you will have ##\int_0^1 V\cdot n_2 \, dx_2 ##.
For c2, it gets a little tougher.
##\int_{c2} V\cdot n_2 dc2##

For c2, should I do a double integral (x1 and x2, both from 0 to 1) of V⋅n2?

It might be easier to directly compute the Area integral
##\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-x_1} div(V) dx_2dx_1 ##

JMoody said:
For c2, should I do a double integral (x1 and x2, both from 0 to 1) of V⋅n2?
I don't think that is right, you would be taking the integral over an area. you want the integral over the line.

Thanks RUber, I think you've provided the help I needed to finish it. It was required to perform divergence theorem for the exam though, I'll give it a shot with both methods and see how the solutions compare.

RUber said:
It might be easier to directly compute the Area integral
##\int_0^1 \int_0^{1-x_1} div(V) dx_2dx_1 ##
Nevermind this...that doesn't make any sense.
---
Try integrating over x1, and define x2 in terms of x1 along the line. That should do the trick.

I solved it, I get 1/2 using both methods. Thanks again for the help RUber, it helped set me on the write path.

When I worked it out, I still had the ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2}}## in the answer.

I'm not sure where the square root comes from, but I believe the accepted solution was 1/2 when we went over the exam (he just didn't take the time to go over something trivial like integration since most of my peers are coming straight out of undergrad >.<). I calculated it both by using divergence theorem to integrate over the line (more complicated) and by integrating the divergence over the area directly.
FmqC9lS.jpg

Aha, I forgot to multiply by the ##\sqrt{2}## in the dS term.
Good work.

Why (in post #7) "Nevermind this...that doesn't make any sense." ?
I thought I had div V = 3x2 and that would be a simple integral, so I'm grossly overlooking sonething ?

Thanks BvU, I was clearly overthinking things and convinced myself I was wrong.

Related to Integrate divergence of a vector over an area

1. What is the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field is a measure of the flow of the field at a given point. It represents the amount of flux flowing out of an infinitesimal closed surface around that point.

2. How is the divergence of a vector field calculated?

The divergence of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇) and then taking the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field with respect to each variable.

3. What does it mean to integrate the divergence of a vector over an area?

Integrating the divergence of a vector over an area means finding the total flow of the vector field through the given area. This can be thought of as adding up all the individual flux values at each point within the area.

4. What is the significance of integrating the divergence of a vector over an area in science?

Integrating the divergence of a vector over an area has many practical applications in various scientific fields. It is commonly used in fluid dynamics to analyze the flow of fluids, in electromagnetism to calculate electric and magnetic fields, and in thermodynamics to study heat flow.

5. What is the relationship between the divergence theorem and integrating the divergence of a vector over an area?

The divergence theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the volume enclosed by the surface. This relationship allows us to use the divergence theorem to convert a surface integral of the divergence of a vector field to a volume integral, making it easier to solve certain problems in physics and engineering.