Integrals of Rational Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of a rational function by factoring out the bottom and then using coefficients to solve for the final answer. The process involves multiplying both sides by the original function and then solving for the coefficients A, B, and C.
Kp0684
Integrals of Rational Functions...

The integral of:... (x-1)/x^4+6x^3+9x^2 , dx...i factored out the bottom getting: x^2(x+3)(x+3)...so, my new integral is: (x-1)/x^2(x+3)^2... now when i muiltlpy both sides by (x-1)/x^2(x+3)^2...i get... x-1= A(x+3)^2 + Bx^2(x+3) + C x^2...for A i got -1/9...and C= -4/9...B iam not getting an answer for that...A,B,C are coefficients once finding them you plug them back into the second equation...that will give the final answer...need help... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to do it like this
[tex]\frac{x-1}{x^{2}(x+3)^{2}}=\frac{A}{x}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^{2}}+\frac{D}{x+3}+\frac{Ex+F}{(x+3)^{2}}[/tex]

To solve for the coefficient B, you can use the method of partial fractions. First, you can rewrite the integral as:

(x-1)/x^2(x+3)^2 = A/x^2 + B/x + C/(x+3) + D/(x+3)^2

Then, you can multiply both sides by the denominator (x^2(x+3)^2) and equate the numerators:

x-1 = A(x+3)^2 + Bx^2(x+3) + Cx^2 + Dx

Next, you can substitute in different values for x to solve for the coefficients. For example, if you let x=0, you get:

-1 = A(3)^2 + C(0)^2

-1 = 9A

A = -1/9

Similarly, if you let x=-3, you get:

-4 = D(-3)

D = 4/3

You can solve for B and C by substituting in other values for x and solving for the coefficients. Once you have all the coefficients, you can plug them back into the original equation and integrate to get the final answer.

Related to Integrals of Rational Functions

1. What is an integral of a rational function?

The integral of a rational function is the process of finding the anti-derivative of the function. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and involves finding a function that, when differentiated, will give the original function.

2. How do you find the integral of a rational function?

To find the integral of a rational function, you can use techniques such as partial fractions, substitution, or integration by parts. These methods allow you to break down the rational function into simpler parts that are easier to integrate.

3. Can all rational functions be integrated?

Yes, all rational functions can be integrated using the techniques mentioned above. However, some integrals may be more complex and require advanced methods or numerical integration to solve.

4. Why is finding the integral of a rational function important?

Finding the integral of a rational function is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of mathematical problems, including finding the area under a curve, calculating volumes, and solving differential equations. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any rules or properties for integrating rational functions?

Yes, there are several rules and properties for integrating rational functions, such as the linearity property, the power rule, and the substitution rule. These rules can make the integration process easier and more efficient.