Integral with sine, cosine, and rational function

In summary, the given conversation discusses the computation of an integral, I, where a and b are positive real numbers. The attempt at solving it involves substitution and the use of the residue theorem, but it is unclear if the theorem is applicable in this case. Maple 11 calculates the integral as:
Ravendark

Homework Statement

I would like to compute the following integral:
[tex]I = \int\limits_0^\pi \mathrm{d}\theta \, \frac{\sin^2 \theta}{a^2 + b^2 - 2 \sqrt{ab} \cos \theta} [/tex]
where ##a,b \in \mathbb{R}_+##.

2. The attempt at a solution
Substitution ##x = \cos \theta## yields
[tex]
I = \int\limits_{-1}^1 \mathrm{d}x \, \frac{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}{a^2 + b^2 - 2 \sqrt{ab} \, x} \; .
[/tex]
Now I don't know how to proceed. I have in mind to use the residue theorem somehow, but I don't know if this is applicable here. Can someone give me a hint, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ravendark said:

Homework Statement

I would like to compute the following integral:
[tex]I = \int\limits_0^\pi \mathrm{d}\theta \, \frac{\sin^2 \theta}{a^2 + b^2 - 2 \sqrt{ab} \cos \theta} [/tex]
where ##a,b \in \mathbb{R}_+##.

2. The attempt at a solution
Substitution ##x = \cos \theta## yields
[tex]
I = \int\limits_{-1}^1 \mathrm{d}x \, \frac{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}{a^2 + b^2 - 2 \sqrt{ab} \, x} \; .
[/tex]
Now I don't know how to proceed. I have in mind to use the residue theorem somehow, but I don't know if this is applicable here. Can someone give me a hint, please?

Assuming that a,b > 0, Maple 11 gets the integral as

upload_2015-11-17_1-40-30.png

Related to Integral with sine, cosine, and rational function

1. What is an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function?

An integral with sine, cosine, and rational function is a type of mathematical function that involves the integration of a combination of sine, cosine, and rational functions. This type of integral is commonly used in calculus and can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems.

2. How do you solve an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function?

To solve an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to identify the type of integral you are working with and choose the appropriate method to solve it.

3. What is the purpose of using an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function?

The purpose of using an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function is to find the area under a curve or the value of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape or to solve other mathematical problems involving trigonometric and rational functions.

4. Are there any special cases when solving an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function. One example is when the integral involves trigonometric functions with odd powers, which can be solved using trigonometric identities. Another special case is when the integral involves rational functions with repeated factors, which can be solved using partial fractions.

5. Can an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, an integral with sine, cosine, and rational function can be solved using software or calculators. There are many online tools and software programs that can help you solve integrals with different types of functions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving these integrals in order to use these tools effectively.