Integral Substitution: Evaluating Int f(x4) dx

In summary: I thought this was a more interesting way but just don't know how to get started.In summary, the person is asking how to evaluate an integral where f is a function that depends on what x is. The person suggests using a substitution and then doing the power rule for integration. However, the person also says that for other functions f it may be better to do the substitution. The person also says that he is too harsh and that he would like someone to help him with this problem.
squenshl
How do I evaluate the integral [tex]\int_a^b[/tex] f(x4) dx = [tex]\int_y^z[/tex] f(u) dx/du du, where u=x4
y=a4
z=b4

Physics news on Phys.org
squenshl said:
How do I evaluate the integral [tex]\int_a^b[/tex] f(x4) dx = [tex]\int_y^z[/tex] f(u) dx/du du, where u=x4
y=a4
z=b4

How you integrate the function f depends strongly on what f is, don't you think?

f is [tex]\int_-1^1[/tex] 1+x4 dx

f is [tex]\int_1^1[/tex] 1+x4 dx
meant to be a -1 at the bottom of the integral.
How could I do this then.

Well, if your integral is simply

[tex]\int_{-1}^1 1 + x^4\, dx[/tex]

Then it's pretty simple. Just separate the integrand so that,

[tex]\int_{-1}^1 \,dx + \int_{-1}^1 x^4 \, dx[/tex]

But, based on the context of the question I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. Perhaps you could repost exactly what you mean clearly?

Sure. Consider the integral [tex]\int_{-1}^1[/tex] 1+x4 dx
How do I evaluate this integral using the substitution u=x4 and the formula:
[tex]\int_a^b[/tex] f(x4) dx = [tex]\int_{a^4}^{b^4}[/tex] f(u) dx/du du, where u=x4

Why would you use that method to evaluate the integral? The integral you have posted can easily be evaluated using the power rule for integration.

I thought this was a more interesting way but just don't know how to get started.

Also I someone could help me with this problem.
How could I evaluate the integral above using u=x4, but seperating it into 2 integrals.

Taking detours isn't a more interesting way, but here goes.
[itex]u=x^4 \Rightarrow du=4x^3dx[/itex]

[tex]
\int 1+x^4 dx=\int \frac{1+u}{4(u^{3/4})} du
[/tex]

Making life a lot harder!

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't discourage him, I find it a good way to learn how to compute integrals and what methods to use can be supplemented by trying other methods that come to mind, and seeing why they may not be as efficient. Once he computes that integral Cyosis got him, I think he will be able to see in future why it may not be wise to compute an integral as such.

You raise a very good point. I guess it's all too easy to see if something is going to be inefficient or not when you have some experience with the topic at hand.

Note: I didn't take the limits into account so you still have to do that yourself.

jgens said:
Why would you use that method to evaluate the integral? The integral you have posted can easily be evaluated using the power rule for integration.

You are too harsh. Sure, for this function there are easy ways to do the integral. But for other functions f maybe you really should do the substitution. And why not learn to do the substitution on simple problems that can be evaluated in other ways? Then, for example, you can check your answers and see when you make a mistake.

Related to Integral Substitution: Evaluating Int f(x4) dx

1. What is integral substitution?

Integral substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals by replacing a variable with another variable or expression. This allows for the use of known integration rules and makes it easier to solve the integral.

2. How do you evaluate integrals using substitution?

To evaluate an integral using substitution, you need to identify a function within the integral that can be substituted with a new variable. This new variable should be chosen in a way that simplifies the integral. Then, use the appropriate substitution rule to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable and solve.

3. What is the general formula for integral substitution?

The general formula for integral substitution is ∫f(g(x))g'(x)dx = ∫f(u)du, where g(x) is the substituted variable and u is the new variable. This formula is known as the substitution rule.

4. What are some common substitutions used in integral evaluation?

Some common substitutions used in integral evaluation include trigonometric substitutions, u-substitution, and partial fraction decomposition. Each substitution is chosen based on the structure of the integral and the goal of simplifying it.

5. Why is integral substitution useful?

Integral substitution is useful because it allows for the evaluation of more complex integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration rules. It also provides a way to simplify integrals and make them easier to solve. Additionally, it is a key technique in many applications of calculus, such as finding areas and volumes of irregular shapes.