Integral Over a Sphere with dirac delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and its solution involving the Dirac delta function and a variable substitution. The solution involves an integral over a sphere and the use of trigonometric functions. The conversation also mentions a substitution for the radius.
tim85ruhruniv
Hi,

I am not really sure whether its over the surface of the sphere or the Volume,

the problem and the solution are given below, I want to know how it has been solved.
The [tex]\delta_{0}[/tex] is the dirac delta function.

[tex]\[
\underset{\left|\underline{\xi}\right|=1}{\int}\delta_{0}\left(\underline{\xi}\cdot\underline{z}\right)dS_{\xi}=\intop_{0}^{2\pi}d\varphi\intop_{-r}^{+r}\delta_{0}\left(\varsigma\right)\frac{d\varsigma}{r}=\frac{2\pi}{r}\]
[/tex]

the following variable substitution has been made,

[tex]\[
\varsigma=\underline{\xi}\cdot\underline{z}=rcos\theta\]
[/tex]

Thanx a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey,

I Just got it,

I used this substitution.

[tex]
\[
\intop_{0}^{\pi}\intop_{0}^{2\pi}f(cos\varphi sin\theta,sin\varphi sin\theta,cos\theta)sin\theta d\theta d\varphi\][/tex]

the radius that i used in the variable substitution is not the same as the unit radius.

Related to Integral Over a Sphere with dirac delta function

1. What is the definition of an integral over a sphere with a Dirac delta function?

An integral over a sphere with a Dirac delta function is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a function's values over the surface of a sphere, weighted by the value of the Dirac delta function at each point on the sphere.

2. How is the Dirac delta function related to the integral over a sphere?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinitely large. In the context of an integral over a sphere, the Dirac delta function is used to weight the function being integrated at each point on the sphere's surface.

3. What is the significance of using a Dirac delta function in the integral over a sphere?

The Dirac delta function allows for the integration of functions that are not defined or continuous at certain points on the sphere's surface. It also simplifies the calculation of the integral by reducing it to a single point on the sphere.

4. How is the integral over a sphere with a Dirac delta function used in scientific research?

The integral over a sphere with a Dirac delta function is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the electric or magnetic field at a point due to a distribution of charges or currents over a spherical surface. It is also used in signal processing to analyze signals or images over a sphere.

5. What are some limitations of using a Dirac delta function in the integral over a sphere?

The Dirac delta function is not a true function and is instead defined as a distribution. This means that it is not always well-defined mathematically and can lead to inaccuracies or inconsistencies in calculations. Additionally, the use of a Dirac delta function assumes that the function being integrated is well-behaved, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.