Dirac Delta, higher derivatives with test function

In summary: I was trying to figure out how you went from$$\left. (-1)^n \frac{d^n }{dx^n} x^m \phi(x) \right|_{x=0}$$to$$(-1)^n \frac{n!}{(n-m)!} \phi^{(n-m)}(0)$$I understand now.The formula you gave is$$\int \psi(x) \delta^{(n)}(x) dx = (-1)^n \psi^{(n)}(0)$$So, going from$$\left. (-1)^n \frac{d^n }{dx^n} x^m \phi
mishima
Hi, I am curious about:

$$x^m \delta^{(n)}(x) = (-1)^m \frac {n!} {(n-m)!} \delta^{(n-m)}(x) , m \leq n $$

I understand the case where m=n and m>n but not this. Just testing the left hand side with m=3 and n=4 and integrating by parts multiple times, I get -6. With the same values, the right hand side evaluates to -24.

Physics news on Phys.org
To elaborate, what I'm doing on the left hand side is integration by parts multiple times:

$$\int x^3\delta^{(4)} (x) dx=x^3\delta^{(3)}(x)-\int 3x^2\delta^{(3)}(x)dx$$

Bounds are -infinity to +infinity (Latex ignorance). The non integral term evaluates to zero because of the way test functions are defined nonzero only inside a finite interval. So,

$$\int x^3\delta^{(4)} (x) dx=-\int 3x^2\delta^{(3)}(x)dx$$

Then the idea is to repeat the integration by parts until the dirac delta derivative order is 1.

$$\int 3x^2\delta^{(3)}(x)dx=-\int6x\delta^{(2)}(x)dx$$
$$\int6x\delta^{(2)}(x)dx=-\int6\delta(x)dx=-6$$

Being mindful of the way the negative sign flip flops each iteration. I know there is a formula for this but I'm just showing my understanding.

You forgot to include a test function in your integral. Let ##\phi(x)## be a test function and try starting with
$$ \int \, \phi(x) \, x^3 \, \delta^{(4)}(x) \, dx$$
and I think you will get the correct result.

Jason

Likes mishima
mishima said:
Hi, I am curious about:

$$x^m \delta^{(n)}(x) = (-1)^m \frac {n!} {(n-m)!} \delta^{(n-m)}(x) , m \leq n $$

I understand the case where m=n and m>n but not this. Just testing the left hand side with m=3 and n=4 and integrating by parts multiple times, I get -6. With the same values, the right hand side evaluates to -24.

For one thing, the equals sign there isn't correct. It's not that the two sides are equal, but that they integrate to the same thing.

For another thing, I don't understand why it isn't just:

$$\int x^m \frac{d^n}{dx^n} \delta(x) dx = m! \int \frac{d^{n-m}}{dx^{n-m}} \delta(x) dx
$$

stevendaryl said:
For one thing, the equals sign there isn't correct. It's not that the two sides are equal, but that they integrate to the same thing.
The equality sign is fine since the two sides are equal as distributions (generalized functions). The presence of the delta functions makes that pretty clear, I think. But distributions are not functions, which map numbers to numbers. Instead, they are functionals, which map functions to numbers. Using our standard non-rigorous physics/ engineering approach, this means that when you multiply them by an arbitrary test function and "integrate", they produce a number that in general depends on the particular test function. For the expression in the original post, both sides produce the same number when given the same test function.

All of this is also why the test function (##\phi(x)## in my example) had to be included in the integral. If you don't includ it, the explicit assumption is that ##\phi(x)=1##, and since all of the derivatives of ##\phi## are zero, the original expresion simply says ##0=0##. EDIT (again!): both sides are zero only for the ##m<n## case.

jason

Last edited:
Likes mishima
jasonRF said:
The equality sign is fine since the two sides are equal as distributions (generalized functions).

Okay. I was thinking that they weren't equal as distributions, because doing integration by parts will produce a derivative of the test function. However, that derivative is multiplied by a power of ##x##, so it will evaluate to 0 at ##x=0##.

##\int (x \frac{d}{dx} \delta(x)) \phi(x) dx = \int \frac{d}{dx} (x \delta(x) \phi(x)) dx - \int \delta(x) \frac{d}{dx} (x \phi(x)) dx = \int \frac{d}{dx} (x \delta(x) \phi(x)) dx - \int \delta(x) (\phi(x) + x \frac{d}{dx} \phi(x)) dx##
##= 0## (surface integral) ##- \phi(0) - (x \frac{d}{dx} \phi(x))|_{x=0} = - \phi(0)##

I edited my post at the same time you are posting, so maybe it is more clear...

Thanks...I was thinking that the ##x^3## was the test function ##\phi(x)##, but I understand now why that's not the case. It has to be the same test function on both sides. I will re-evaluate now.

Just confirming I was able to get ##24 \phi^{'}(0) ## for both sides with m=3 and n=4. Likewise m=2 and n=4 yields ##12 \phi^{''}(0)## for both. Pretty interesting behavior. Thanks again.

I've received a PM asking for some details on how these calculations work, so here is a sketch. We need to show
$$
\int \phi(x)\, x^m \, \delta^{(n)}(x)\, dx = (-1)^m \frac {n!} {(n-m)!} \int \phi(x) \, \delta^{(n-m)}(x) \, dx
$$
when ## m \leq n## for every 'nice' test function ##\phi##. In this case, 'nice' means a function where the first ##n-m## derivatives are continuous.

We start with the left-hand-side. Using the definition $$\int \psi(x) \delta^{(n)}(x) dx = (-1)^n \psi^{(n)}(0)$$, we have
$$
\begin{eqnarray*}
\int \, \phi(x) \, x^m \, \delta^{(n)}(x) \, dx & = & \left. (-1)^n \frac{d^n }{dx^n} x^m \phi(x) \right|_{x=0}
\end{eqnarray*}
$$
Then we use Liebnitz's rule
$$
\frac{d^n}{dx^n} f(x) g(x) = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} f^{(k)}(x) g^{(n-k)}(x)
$$
with ##f=x^m## and ##g=\phi##. Since we will be evaluating this at ##x=0##, it is clear that ##k=m## is the only term that is nonzero. So I get
$$
\left. (-1)^n \frac{d^n }{dx^n} x^m \phi(x) \right|_{x=0} = (-1)^n \frac{n!}{(n-m)!} \phi^{(n-m)}(0)
$$
However,
$$
\phi^{(n-m)}(0) = (-1)^{n-m} \int \phi(x) \, \delta^{(n-m)}(x) \, dx
$$

Puting all of this together we get the desired identity.

jason

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

Related to Dirac Delta, higher derivatives with test function

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to represent an infinitely narrow spike at the origin in the real number line. It is defined as 0 for all values of x except at x=0, where it is defined as infinity, with the property that the integral of δ(x) over any interval containing 0 is equal to 1.

2. What are higher derivatives of the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function is not differentiable at x=0, but it is possible to define higher derivatives by using a test function. These higher derivatives are defined as the limit of the integral of the test function multiplied by the Dirac Delta function raised to a power, as the power approaches infinity. These higher derivatives are useful in solving differential equations involving the Dirac Delta function.

3. What is a test function?

A test function, also known as a "trial function" or "trial solution", is a smooth function that is used to test the behavior of other functions. In the context of the Dirac Delta function, a test function is used to define higher derivatives by multiplying it with the Dirac Delta function and taking the limit as the power approaches infinity.

4. How is the Dirac Delta function used in physics?

The Dirac Delta function is commonly used in physics to model point-like particles or interactions. For example, in quantum mechanics, the wave function of a particle can be described using the Dirac Delta function to represent the particle's position. It is also used in electromagnetism to describe the electric field of a point charge.

5. What are some properties of the Dirac Delta function?

Some important properties of the Dirac Delta function include:

• It is an even function, meaning δ(x) = δ(-x).
  • It is an odd distribution, meaning δ(-x) = -δ(x).
  • It has a scaling property, meaning δ(ax) = 1/|a|δ(x) for any real number a.
  • It has a shifting property, meaning δ(x-a) = 0 for all values of x except at x=a, where it is defined as infinity.
  • It satisfies the sifting property, meaning ∫f(x)δ(x)dx = f(0) for any continuous function f(x).