An integral with a delta-function

• I
  • Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discussed an equation from David Tong's note for QFT that involved a 4-vector and the delta function. The speaker provided a calculation that resulted in two possible outcomes, one being infinite. Another speaker shared the key to this, which involved an identity for the delta function. This identity was then applied to the original equation, resulting in the correct answer.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate this integral?
It is from David Tong's note for QFT. The equation states
##\left . \int d^4 p \cdot \delta \left ( p^2_0 -{\vec p}^2 -m^2 \right ) \right | _{p_0>0} =\left . \int \frac {d^3 p} {2 p_0} \right |_{p_0=E_{\vec p}}##
where ##p## is a 4-vector ##p=\left ( p_0, \vec p \right )##.

In my calculation, I get
##\left . \int d^4 p \cdot \delta \left ( p^2_0 -{\vec p}^2 -m^2 \right ) \right | _{p_0>0} =\left . \int d^3 p \int d p_0 \cdot \delta \left ( p^2_0 -{\vec p}^2 -m^2 \right ) \right | _{p_0>0}=\left . \int d^3 p \cdot 1 \right | _{p_0>0}=1## or
##\left . \int d^4 p \cdot \delta \left ( p^2_0 -{\vec p}^2 -m^2 \right ) \right | _{p_0>0} =\left . \int d^3 p \int d p_0 \cdot \delta^{\left ( 3 \right )} \left ( p^2_0 -{\vec p}^2 -m^2 \right ) \delta ^{\left ( 1 \right )}\left ( p^2_0 -{\vec p}^2 -m^2 \right ) \right | _{p_0>0}=\left . \int d^3 p \cdot \delta^{\left ( 3 \right )} \left ( 0 \right ) \right | _{p_0>0}## which is infinite.

Maybe I get a wrong definition for the delta function in this integral? What is the dimension of the delta function in this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
The key to this is the identity
$$\delta \left(f(x)\right)=\frac{\delta(x-x_0)}{\left| f'(x_0)\right|}$$
where ##x_0## is a zero of f(x). In this case, ##f(x)=x^2 - x_0^2##, ##x=p_0##, and ##x_0=\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}=E_{\vec{p}}##. This gives me the correct answer.

Likes Haorong Wu
Isaac0427 said:
The key to this is the identity
$$\delta \left(f(x)\right)=\frac{\delta(x-x_0)}{\left| f'(x_0)\right|}$$
where ##x_0## is a zero of f(x). In this case, ##f(x)=x^2 - x_0^2##, ##x=p_0##, and ##x_0=\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}=E_{\vec{p}}##. This gives me the correct answer.
Oh, thanks, @Isaac0427 .

Related to An integral with a delta-function

1. What is an integral with a delta-function?

An integral with a delta-function is a mathematical expression that represents the area under a curve where the function has a spike or impulse at a specific point. The delta-function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a special type of mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite.

2. How is an integral with a delta-function different from a regular integral?

The main difference between an integral with a delta-function and a regular integral is that the delta-function is used to represent a point rather than an interval. This means that the integral with a delta-function will only have a non-zero value at a specific point, while a regular integral can have a non-zero value over a range of points.

3. What is the purpose of using an integral with a delta-function?

An integral with a delta-function is often used in physics and engineering to model real-world systems that have sudden changes or impulses. It is also used in signal processing to analyze signals that have sharp spikes or impulses.

4. How is the delta-function represented in an integral?

The delta-function is typically represented as δ(x) in an integral, where x is the point at which the function is non-zero. It is important to note that the delta-function is not a regular function and cannot be evaluated in the traditional sense. Instead, it is defined by its properties and is used as a mathematical tool in integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using an integral with a delta-function?

One limitation of using an integral with a delta-function is that it only works for functions that have a finite integral. This means that the function must approach zero as it goes to infinity in order for the integral to be well-defined. Additionally, the delta-function is not defined for negative values, so it cannot be used for integrals that have negative limits.