Integral of e^x: e^x - ln(e^x + 1) + C

In summary, the conversation discusses the given integral and whether it checks out as an anti-derivative of the original function. The expert provides a summary of the steps to find the anti-derivative and notes that it does not match the given integral.
Bushy
I think this checks out...

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{e^{2x}+e^x-1}{e^x+1}~dx\)

\(\displaystyle \int e^x ~dx- \int \frac{1}{e^x+1}~dx\)

\(\displaystyle e^x-\ln(e^x+1)+C\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It checks out iff:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(e^x-\ln\left(e^x+1\right)+C\right)=\frac{e^{2x}+e^x-1}{e^x+1}\)

Is this true?

I think it does

Bushy said:
I think it does

I get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(e^x-\ln\left(e^x+1\right)+C\right)=e^x-\frac{e^x}{e^x+1}=\frac{e^{2x}}{e^x+1}\ne\frac{e^{2x}+e^x-1}{e^x+1}\)

If I were going to find the given anti-derivative, I would consider writing the integrand as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{e^{2x}+e^x-1}{e^x+1}=\frac{e^{2x}-1}{e^x+1}+\frac{e^x}{e^x+1}=e^x-1+\frac{e^x}{e^x+1}\)

Now each term can easily be integrated. :)

Related to Integral of e^x: e^x - ln(e^x + 1) + C

What is the integral of e^x?

The integral of e^x is e^x - ln(e^x + 1) + C.

What is the constant C in the integral of e^x?

The constant C represents the unknown constant of integration that is added to the antiderivative of e^x. It is necessary to include this constant because when taking the derivative of e^x, the constant disappears.

How is the integral of e^x derived?

The integral of e^x is derived using the reverse power rule. This means that the integral of e^x is equal to e^x divided by the natural log of the base number (in this case, e), plus the constant C.

What is the significance of the natural log in the integral of e^x?

The natural log plays a significant role in the integral of e^x because it is used to solve for the unknown constant C. It is also a key part of the reverse power rule used to derive the integral of e^x.

How is the integral of e^x used in real-world applications?

The integral of e^x is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay. It is also used in finance to model compound interest and in statistics to calculate probabilities in exponential distributions.