Integral equations -- Picard method of succesive approximation

In summary: Then you want to solve the equation: ##(I-\lambda K)\varphi = f##; you need to solve the equation ##\det |I-\lambda K| \ne 0 ## and then you have a solution: ##\varphi(x) = (I-\lambda K)^{-1}f(x)##; how to find the inverse, check any functional analysis textbook or Courant's and Hilbert's first volume.
LagrangeEuler
Equation
[tex]\varphi(x)=x+1-\int^{x}_0 \varphi(y)dy[/tex]
If I start from ##\varphi_0(x)=1## or ##\varphi_0(x)=x+1## I will get solution of this equation using Picard method in following way
[tex]\varphi_1(x)=x+1-\int^{x}_0 \varphi_0(y)dy[/tex]
[tex]\varphi_2(x)=x+1-\int^{x}_0 \varphi_1(y)dy[/tex]
[tex]\varphi_3(x)=x+1-\int^{x}_0 \varphi_2(y)dy[/tex]
Then solution is given by
[tex]\varphi(x)=\lim_{n \to \infty}\varphi_n(x)[/tex].
When I could say that this sequence will converge to solution of integral equation. How to see if there is some fixed point? I know how to use this method, but I am not sure from the form of equation, when I can use this method. Thanks for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\phi_0(x)=1\ results \ in \ \phi_1(x)=1[/tex], you're done!

mathman said:
[tex]\phi_0(x)=1\ results \ in \ \phi_1(x)=1[/tex], you're done!
This is not my question. I know how to solve this. I am not sure when I can use this method. When sequence of functions ##\varphi_0(x)##, ##\varphi_1(x)##... will converge to ##\varphi(x)##.

Since all [tex]\phi_n(x)=1[/tex] are the same, the sequence trivially converges to [tex]\phi(x)=1.[/tex] I am not sure what you are looking for.

mathman said:
Since all [tex]\phi_n(x)=1[/tex] are the same, the sequence trivially converges to [tex]\phi(x)=1.[/tex] I am not sure what you are looking for.
I think s/he is looking for general conditions for convergence, not just for this particular problem.

Likes LagrangeEuler
WWGD said:
I think s/he is looking for general conditions for convergence, not just for this particular problem.
Yes. Thanks.

You can use this method when you have: ##\int \lim_{n\to\infty} \varphi_n(y)dy = \lim_{n\to \infty} \int \varphi_n(y)dy##.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
You can use this method when you have: ##\int \lim_{n\to\infty} \varphi_n(y)dy = \lim_{n\to \infty} \int \varphi_n(y)dy##.
Isn't this equivalent to dominated or monotone convergence?

WWGD said:
Isn't this equivalent to dominated or monotone convergence?
Dominated convergence is a sufficient condition, but not necessary.

Likes WWGD
mathman said:
Dominated convergence is a sufficient condition, but not necessary.
Ah, yes, Dominated, no reason for Monotone here. Need some caffeine.

Yes but if I have for example equation in the form
[tex]\varphi(x)=f(x)+\lambda \int^x_0K(x,t)\varphi(t)dt[/tex]
could I see this just for looking in kernel ##K(x,t)## and parameter ##\lambda##?

@LagrangeEuler in your last post this is an eigenvalue problem: if we denote by: ##K\varphi(x) = \int_0^x K(x,t)\varphi(t)dt##

Then you want to solve the equation: ##(I-\lambda K)\varphi = f##; you need to solve the equation ##\det |I-\lambda K| \ne 0 ## and then you have a solution: ##\varphi(x) = (I-\lambda K)^{-1}f(x)##; how to find the inverse, check any functional analysis textbook or Courant's and Hilbert's first volume.

Related to Integral equations -- Picard method of succesive approximation

1. What is the Picard method of successive approximation?

The Picard method of successive approximation is a mathematical technique used to solve integral equations. It involves breaking down a complex integral equation into a series of simpler equations, which are then iteratively solved to approximate the solution of the original equation.

2. How does the Picard method of successive approximation work?

The Picard method of successive approximation works by assuming an initial guess for the solution of the integral equation and then using this guess to compute a new, improved guess. This process is repeated until the solution converges to a desired level of accuracy.

3. What are the advantages of using the Picard method of successive approximation?

One advantage of using the Picard method is that it can be used to solve a wide range of integral equations, including both linear and non-linear equations. Additionally, the method does not require the use of complicated numerical techniques and can be easily implemented on a computer.

4. Are there any limitations to the Picard method of successive approximation?

One limitation of the Picard method is that it may not always converge to a solution, particularly if the initial guess is not close enough to the true solution. Additionally, the method may be slow to converge for certain types of equations.

5. How is the accuracy of the solution determined in the Picard method of successive approximation?

The accuracy of the solution in the Picard method is determined by the number of iterations performed and the criteria for convergence. The solution can be considered accurate when it no longer changes significantly with each iteration.