Integral Equations - Green's Function

In summary: If we come back the part I asked, can you write the steps that shows how you applied operator ##\frac{d^2}{d x'^2} + k^2## . Did you use Leibniz rule, if so can you show the method...?I did not say I applied ##\frac{d^2}{d x'^2} + k^2##, I said I applied ##\frac{d^2}{d x'^2}##. The ##+ k^2## is a red herring.If you apply ##\frac{d}{d x}## to ##\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)## you get ##\frac
Gyges

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm trying to show that,

[itex]\phi(x')=b\frac{\sin kx'}{k}+a\cos kx'+\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx[/itex]

is the solution of,

[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx'^{2}}\phi(x')+k^{2}\phi(x')=f(x')dx[/itex] where [itex]0 \leq x'<\infty[/itex].
2. Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If we consider one dimensional Schrodinger equation with potential U(x)

[itex](\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}} + k^{2})\phi(x)=U(x)\phi(x)[/itex]

Supposing that [itex]\phi(0)=a~~ and~~ \phi'(0)=b[/itex] are given

Solution for [itex]x>0[/itex]

[itex]L\phi(x)=f(x)~~ with~~ L=\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}+k^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} g(x,x')L\phi(x)=\int_{0}^{\infty} g(x,x')f(x)d(x)[/itex]

[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} (Lg(x,x'))\phi(x)dx+g(x,x')\phi'(x)|_{x=0}^{x=\infty}-\frac{dg(x,x')}{d(x)}\phi(x)|_{x=0}^{x=\infty}=\int_{0}^{\infty}g(x,x')f(x)dx[/itex]

[itex]g(\infty,x')=0 ~~and~~ \frac{dg}{dx}(\infty,x')=0[/itex]

[itex]Lg(x,x')=\delta(x-x')[/itex]

[itex]\phi(x')=bg(0,x')-a\frac{dg}{dx}(0,x')+\int_{0}^{\infty} g(x,x')f(x)dx[/itex]

Boundry conditions are given by

[itex](\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}} + k^{2})g(x,x')=\delta(x-x') ~~on~~ x\in(0,\infty)~~ with~~ x'(\in0,\infty)[/itex]

Boundry Condition 1

[itex]g(\infty,x')=0[/itex]

Boundry Condition 2

[itex]\frac{dg}{dx}(\infty,x')=0[/itex]

For [itex]x<x’[/itex]

[itex]g(x,x')=A\sin kx + B\cos kx[/itex]

For [itex]x>x’[/itex]

[itex]g(x,x')=C\sin kx + D\cos kx[/itex]

If we apply boundry conditions then

C=D=0

so

[itex]g(x,x')=0~~for x>x'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dg}{dx}(x'+\xi,x')-\frac{dg}{dx}(x'-\xi,x')=1[/itex]

[itex]g(x'+\xi,x')=g(x'-\xi,x')[/itex]

[itex]\xi\rightarrow0[/itex]

[itex]\begin{cases}A\sin kx'+B\cos kx'=0\\-A\cos kx'+B\sin kx'=\frac{1}{k}\end{cases}[/itex]

so

[itex]A=\frac{-\cos kx'}{k}[/itex]

[itex]B=\frac{\sin kx'}{k}[/itex]

Then Green Function found

[itex]g(x,x')=\begin{cases}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} ~ , ~x<x' \\0 ~,~ x>x'\end{cases}[/itex]

Then

[itex]\phi(x')=bg(0,x')-a\frac{dg}{dx}(0,x')+\int_{0}^{\infty} g(x,x')f(x)dx[/itex]

becomes

[itex]\phi(x')=b\frac{\sin kx'}{k}+a\cos kx'+\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx[/itex]

Now finally I should show that this is the solution of

[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx'^{2}}\phi(x')+k^{2}\phi(x')=f(x')dx ~~ where ~~ 0 \leq x'<\infty[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Gyges said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm trying to show that,

is the solution of,

[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx'^{2}}\phi(x')+k^{2}\phi(x')=f(x')dx[/itex] where [itex]0 \leq x'<\infty[/itex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If we consider one dimensional Schrodinger equation with potential U(x)

[itex](\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}} + k^{2})\phi(x)=U(x)\phi(x)[/itex]

Supposing that [itex]\phi(0)=a~~ and~~ \phi'(0)=b[/itex] are given

Solution for [itex]x>0[/itex]

[itex]L\phi(x)=f(x)~~ with~~ L=\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}+k^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} g(x,x')L\phi(x)=\int_{0}^{\infty} g(x,x')f(x)d(x)[/itex]

[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} (Lg(x,x'))\phi(x)dx+g(x,x')\phi'(x)|_{x=0}^{x=\infty}-\frac{dg(x,x')}{d(x)}\phi(x)|_{x=0}^{x=\infty}=\int_{0}^{\infty}g(x,x')f(x)dx[/itex]

[itex]g(\infty,x')=0 ~~and~~ \frac{dg}{dx}(\infty,x')=0[/itex]

[itex]Lg(x,x')=\delta(x-x')[/itex]

Boundry conditions are given by

[itex](\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}} + k^{2})g(x,x')=\delta(x-x') ~~on~~ x\in(0,\infty)~~ with~~ x'(\in0,\infty)[/itex]

Boundry Condition 1

[itex]g(\infty,x')=0[/itex]

Boundry Condition 2

[itex]\frac{dg}{dx}(\infty,x')=0[/itex]

For [itex]x<x’[/itex]

[itex]g(x,x')=A\sin kx + B\cos kx[/itex]

For [itex]x>x’[/itex]

[itex]g(x,x')=C\sin kx + D\cos kx[/itex]

If we apply boundry conditions then

C=D=0

so

[itex]g(x,x')=0~~for x>x'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dg}{dx}(x'+\xi,x')-\frac{dg}{dx}(x'-\xi,x')=1[/itex]

[itex]g(x'+\xi,x')=g(x'-\xi,x')[/itex]

[itex]\xi\rightarrow0[/itex]

[itex]\begin{cases}A\sin kx'+B\cos kx'=0\\-A\cos kx'+B\sin kx'=\frac{1}{k}\end{cases}[/itex]

so

[itex]A=\frac{-\cos kx'}{k}[/itex]

[itex]B=\frac{\sin kx'}{k}[/itex]

Then Green Function found

[itex]g(x,x')=\begin{cases}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} ~ , ~x<x' \\0 ~,~ x>x'\end{cases}[/itex]

Then

becomes

Now finally I should show that this is the solution of

[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx'^{2}}\phi(x')+k^{2}\phi(x')=f(x')dx ~~ where ~~ 0 \leq x'<\infty[/itex]

You have "derived" the solution, starting from the DE. Congratulations on that, but that was not what the question asked! It asked you to just verify that the given formula solves the DE.

Anyway, I think the formula has an error in it. When I apply the operator ##\frac{d^2}{d x'^2} + k^2## to your ##\phi(x')## I get ##-f(x')## instead of ##+f(x')##. That can be remedied by a small, rather obvious, change in the formula for ##\phi##.

Ray Vickson said:
You have "derived" the solution, starting from the DE. Congratulations on that, but that was not what the question asked! It asked you to just verify that the given formula solves the DE.

Anyway, I think the formula has an error in it. When I apply the operator ##\frac{d^2}{d x'^2} + k^2## to your ##\phi(x')## I get ##-f(x')## instead of ##+f(x')##. That can be remedied by a small, rather obvious, change in the formula for ##\phi##.

Thank your for reply, this was a part of question, and I wanted to share the part I completed. So you could comment if it is wrong and if it is correct maybe it can be helpful for someone else.

I checked again and it seems that I didn't make any typing error, question maybe be wrong and I will ask again.

If we come back the part I asked, can you write the steps that shows how you applied operator ##\frac{d^2}{d x'^2} + k^2## . Did you use Leibniz rule, if so can you show the method please.

Gyges said:
Thank your for reply, this was a part of question, and I wanted to share the part I completed. So you could comment if it is wrong and if it is correct maybe it can be helpful for someone else.

I checked again and it seems that I didn't make any typing error, question maybe be wrong and I will ask again.

If we come back the part I asked, can you write the steps that shows how you applied operator ##\frac{d^2}{d x'^2} + k^2## . Did you use Leibniz rule, if so can you show the method please.

I just let the computer algebra package Maple do all the work. It knows all the standard methods and applies them as needed.

I checked it now, which bundle or bundles you use? And if it shows the steps can you please post it?
Finally, as I have not seen bundle output yet, it will be highly appreciated, if someone can show me that,

is the solution of,

as this part is the last thing, I have to complete after other calculations, I showed above.

Gyges said:
It's against the forum rules to do this. It's your job to do the problem. Take a shot at it and post your attempt.

vela said:
It's against the forum rules to do this. It's your job to do the problem. Take a shot at it and post your attempt.

I take the first and second derivative of RHS as follows

1st derivative
[itex]\frac{d}{dx'}(b\frac{\sin kx'}{k}+a\cos kx'+\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx)=b\cos (kx')-ak\sin(kx')+\frac{d}{dx}(\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx)[/itex]

2nd derivative
[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dx'^{2}}(b\frac{\sin kx'}{k}+a\cos kx'+\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx)=-k^{2}a\cos(kx')-kb\sin(kx')\frac{d^{2}}{dx'^{2}}(\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx)[/itex]

But then how can I take the derivative of integral part ##\frac{d}{dx'}(\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx)## and ##\frac{d^{2}}{dx'^{2}}(\int_{0}^{x'}\frac{\sin k(x-x')}{k} f(x)dx)##
Thanks

Like you said, use the Leibniz rule. I can tell you're reluctant to try it. I just can't figure out why.

vela said:
Like you said, use the Leibniz rule. I can tell you're reluctant to try it. I just can't figure out why.

I am confused because derivative is ##\frac{d}{dx'}## but we have ##f(x)dx## and ##(x-x')## in integral, can you show me an example. Maybe not directly my problem but another example similar that can help me to understand. Thanks.

Gyges said:
I am confused because derivative is ##\frac{d}{dx'}## but we have ##f(x)dx## and ##(x-x')## in integral, can you show me an example. Maybe not directly my problem but another example similar that can help me to understand. Thanks.

Do you know the actual statement of Leibniz' Rule? If you do, just sit down and apply it term-by-term, applying exactly what the formula tells you to do.

If you do not know the actual statement of Leibniz' Rule (but somehow know the name, anyway), you can find many discussions of it on-line, including step-by-step examples worked out in detail. Others have already done that for you, so there is no reason why we should repeat those efforts.

Related to Integral Equations - Green's Function

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is an equation that involves an unknown function in the form of an integral. The function to be solved for is typically found in the upper limit of the integral, and the equation must be solved for all possible values of the variable in the integral.

2. What is Green's function?

Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve integral equations. It is a special type of function that satisfies a particular differential equation and is used to find the solution to an integral equation by reducing it to a set of simpler equations.

3. How are Green's functions used in integral equations?

Green's functions are used to find the solution to integral equations by breaking them down into simpler equations that can be solved using standard mathematical techniques. They are also used in the study of differential equations and in physics and engineering applications.

4. What is the relationship between Green's function and boundary value problems?

Green's functions are closely related to boundary value problems. In fact, the Green's function for a specific boundary value problem can be used to find the solution to that problem. Conversely, the solution to a boundary value problem can also be expressed in terms of Green's function.

5. Are there any applications of integral equations and Green's function?

Yes, integral equations and Green's function have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used in solving problems related to heat transfer, electromagnetic theory, fluid mechanics, and many others. They are also useful in the study of partial differential equations and in the development of numerical methods for solving them.