Integral (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity. The attempted solution involves using a formula and taking the limit to infinity, resulting in a correct answer of zero. The person asking for confirmation is unsure if their answer is correct.
applestrudle

Homework Statement

integral (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to check if my answer is right

I got

\frac { \frac { -1 }{ a } { e }^{ -ax }\quad sinbx\quad -\frac { b }{ { a }^{ 2 } } { e }^{ -ax }\quad cosbx }{ 1+\frac { { b }^{ 2 } }{ { a }^{ 2 } } }

and when I did the limit to infinity I got zero?

I'm not sure if it's correct

Physics news on Phys.org
applestrudle said:

Homework Statement

integral (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to check if my answer is right

I got

$$\frac { \frac { -1 }{ a } { e }^{ -ax }\quad sinbx\quad -\frac { b }{ { a }^{ 2 } } { e }^{ -ax }\quad cosbx }{ 1+\frac { { b }^{ 2 } }{ { a }^{ 2 } } } $$

and when I did the limit to infinity I got zero?

I'm not sure if it's correct
Yup, that's right. The result of the integral is what you get from the lower limit x=0.

vela said:
Yup, that's right. The result of the integral is what you get from the lower limit x=0.

Related to Integral (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity

1. What does the integral of (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity represent?

The integral of (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity represents the area under the curve of the function (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity on the x-axis. This can also be thought of as the accumulation of values of the function as x approaches infinity.

2. How do you solve the integral of (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity?

To solve the integral of (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity, you can use integration by parts or the substitution technique. Both methods involve finding the antiderivative of the given function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. What is the significance of the constants a and b in the integral (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity?

The constant a determines the rate at which the function (e^-ax) decreases as x approaches infinity, while b determines the frequency of the sine wave. These constants affect the shape and behavior of the function and can change the value of the integral.

4. Can the integral of (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the integral of (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the power output of an electrical circuit or determining the velocity of a particle undergoing harmonic motion.

5. How does changing the values of a and b affect the value of the integral (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity?

Changing the values of a and b can significantly affect the value of the integral (e^-ax)sin(bx) from 0 to infinity. For example, increasing the value of a will decrease the value of the integral, while increasing the value of b will increase the value of the integral. These changes can also affect the shape and behavior of the function.