Integral containing a delta function and a step function

In summary, part (c) of the homework statement is to find the integral of the function f(θ(x)) over the interval (-inf to inf) - ∫(-inf to inf) θ(x-y) ∂/∂x f(x) dy.
jbay9009

Homework Statement

(a) Show that that δ(a-b)=∫δ(x-a)δ(x-b)dx

(b) Show that ∂/∂x θ(x) = δ(x) where θ(x) is the heaviside step function (0 for x<0, 1 for x>0)

(c) Show that ∫(-inf to inf) δ(x) f(θ(x))dx=∫(0 to 1) f(y)dy

Homework Equations

The definition of the delta function: ∫(-inf to inf) δ(x-y)f(x)=f(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Just made a change of variables and compared to the definition of the δ-function

(b) ∫∂/∂x θ(x)dx = θ(x)|limits
= 1 if limits enclose 0, 0 if not
= ∫δ(x)dx with same limits

(c) I used the result from part (b) to get ∫(-inf to inf) ∂/∂x θ(x) f(θ(x))dx
then integrated by parts to get θ(x) f(θ(x))|(-inf to inf) -∫(-inf to inf) θ(x) ∂/∂x f(θ(x))
= f(1) -∫(-inf to inf) θ(x) ∂/∂x f(θ(x))

Can anyone tell me if I'm going about this the right way? thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (b) you have to include the definition of the delta function in your calculation. In particular you must show that
[tex] \int_{a}^{b} \frac{d \theta(x)}{dx } f(x) dx [/tex]
is either f(0) or 0 depending on the values of a and b. You will have to do a similar procedure for part (a)

Thanks for your reply
My current solutions are now:

(a) I am given that ∫(-inf to inf) δ(x-y)f(x)=f(y) I changed y→a and said that f(x)→x-b so that this reads ∫(-inf to inf) δ(x-a)δ(x-b)=δ(a-b) as required

(c) ∫(-inf to inf) δ(x) f(θ(x))dx = ∫(-inf to inf) ∂/∂x θ(x) f(θ(x))dx
= ∫(-inf to inf) ∂/∂x [∫f(θ(x))∂θ] dx
= [∫f(θ(x))∂θ]|(x=-inf to x=inf)
By letting y = θ(x)
= ∫(0 to 1) f(y)dy

Does this look ok?

(b) So would I need to show that ∫(-inf to inf) [∂/∂x θ(x)] f(x) dx = f(0) ?
(which is the definition of the delta function given in the question with δ→∂/∂x θ and y=0)

trying integrating LHS by parts: f(x)θ(x)|(-inf to inf) - ∫(-inf to inf) θ(x-y) ∂/∂x f(x) dx
f(x)|inf - ∫(-inf to inf) θ(x-y) ∂/∂x f(x) dx

is any of this the correct method?

For part (a), f(x) has to be an actual honest to goodness function. You can't plug in the delta "function" and expect it to work. The thing you want to consider is expressions of the form
[tex] \int_{-infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-a) \delta(x-b) dx f(a) da [/tex]
and you want to find out that this is equal to f(b).

For your part (b) solution, I don't understand where the y came in but other than that it looks correct. You should be able to integrate
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \theta(x) f'(x) dx [/tex]
in a very straightforward way.

Thanks, that seems to have pointed my along the right track.

The y in b) was a typo but I suppose I could include it all the way through for the most general case. I think I can do it ok now, I end up with f(x)|inf - ∫(-inf to inf) ∂/∂x f(x) dx = f(x)|inf - f(x)|inf + f(x)|0 = f(0) as required.

For the integral you presented regarding part a) is this a matter of doing the a integral first since a and x are independent leaving ∫(-inf to inf) f(x) δ(x-b) dx = f(b) ?

Also does my part c) solution look ok to you?

Related to Integral containing a delta function and a step function

1. What is an integral containing a delta function and a step function?

An integral containing a delta function and a step function is a mathematical expression that combines the properties of both a delta function and a step function. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent a sudden change or impulse in a system.

2. What is a delta function?

A delta function is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at one specific point, where it is infinite. It is often used to represent a point source of energy or a sudden change in a system.

3. What is a step function?

A step function is a mathematical function that has a constant value until a certain point, and then abruptly changes to another constant value. It is often used to represent a sudden change or discontinuity in a system.

4. How is an integral containing a delta function and a step function evaluated?

An integral containing a delta function and a step function can be evaluated by first integrating the step function to determine the limits of integration. Then, the delta function can be used to evaluate the integral at the point where it is non-zero. The resulting value will depend on the specific values of the step and delta functions.

5. What are some applications of an integral containing a delta function and a step function?

An integral containing a delta function and a step function has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in modeling impulse responses in electric circuits, calculating the response of a system to a sudden force or energy input, and representing discontinuities in wave functions in quantum mechanics.