Integrability implies continuity at a point

In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof involving integrability and continuity in a given interval. The conversation also mentions two criteria for integrability, and the use of Spivak's Calculus. The person is stuck on part (e) of the exercise and asks for hints. They also mention looking at the book's solution for parts (a) through (d). In addition, the conversation briefly touches on the book Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differentiable Forms and asks for a comparison to other similar books.
AlwaysCurious

Homework Statement

If f is integrable on [a,b], prove that there exists an infinite number of points in [a,b] such that f is continuous at those points.

Homework Equations

I'm using Spivak's Calculus. There are two criteria for integrability that could be used in this proof (obviously, they have been shown to be equivalent). The first is the usual inf(upper sums) = sup(lower sums) one, and the second is that for every epsilon greater than zero, there is a partition P such that the upper sum over P minus the lower sum over P is less than epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made much progress - obviously the second definition seems a bit easier to use, and I have figured out that if you prove that if it is continuous at one point in the interval, it is continuous at an infinite number of points on the interval. So the problem is reduced somewhat.

Any hints?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is part (e) of the exercise in Spivak. Did you already show (a)-(d)?? Where are you stuck exactly??

Yeah, I didn't want to do those parts/look at them because I knew that he was spelling out the solution - so I attempted to all do it in my head, away from the book paper but wasn't able to get anywhere.

I eventually just looked at the book's solution (parts a through d).

As a side note, what do you think of Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differentiable Forms? You recommended it a while ago. What are its strengths, what are its weaknesses? How does it compare to other good books on similar subjects?

Thank you so much!

Related to Integrability implies continuity at a point

1. What does it mean for a function to be integrable?

Integrability refers to the ability of a function to be expressed as the limit of a sum of infinitely small areas under its graph. In other words, it is the ability of a function to be integrated using calculus techniques.

2. How is integrability related to continuity?

Integrability and continuity are closely related concepts. A function is said to be continuous at a point if its limit at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. A function is also said to be integrable if it is continuous at every point within a given interval.

3. What is the significance of integrability implying continuity at a point?

If a function is integrable, it means that it can be integrated using calculus techniques. This implies that the function is well-behaved and has no sudden jumps or discontinuities. Therefore, integrability implies continuity at a point, ensuring that the function can be studied and analyzed using traditional mathematical methods.

4. Can a function be continuous at a point but not integrable?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at a point but not integrable. This can occur if the function has an infinite number of discontinuities within a given interval. In such cases, the function cannot be integrated using standard calculus techniques.

5. How does the concept of integrability apply to real-world problems?

The concept of integrability is fundamental in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It allows us to model and analyze real-world phenomena using mathematical functions and techniques. The ability to integrate a function also allows us to calculate important quantities, such as area, volume, and work, which have practical applications in various fields.