Integer Inequality Homework: Proving Existence of Integer m

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integer m that satisfies certain conditions involving positive integers a and b and a real number c. The suggested method involves taking the set A, consisting of integers greater than or equal to c, and showing that it is nonempty and bounded by below. This implies that A has a minimal element m, which satisfies the desired conditions. The conversation also briefly mentions modifying the method by considering integers strictly greater than c.
annoymage

Homework Statement

let a,b be positive integer , c is real number, and [itex]-a<c<b[/itex]

i want to show there exist integer m, [itex]-a \leq m \leq b[/itex] such that [itex]m-1 \leq c<m[/itex]

i don't know any easy method, but this is where i got now,

Let set [itex]S=[m|-a \leq m \leq b][/itex]

So by contradiction,

suppose that for all m in S, [itex]m \leq c[/itex] or [itex]m-1>c[/itex]

If [itex]m \leq c[/itex] for all m in S, then i know b is in S, means [itex]b \leq c[/itex] which contradict [itex]c<b[/itex],

If [itex]m-1>c[/itex] for all m in S and i stuck somewhere. Any hint T_T, or easier any easier method, I'm thinking of well ordering principle, but it i can't see it for now

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the set

[tex] A=\{n\in \mathbb{Z}~\vert~n\geq c\} [/tex]

Show that A is nonempty and bounded by below. This implies that A has a minimal element m. Show that this m satisfies all your conditions.

hmm then i got

[itex]
m-1 \leq c \leq m[/itex] it's not the same as [itex]
m-1 \leq c<m[/itex] right?

Remove the [itex] \geq[/itex] and replace it with a > sign. Well when you apply the modified suggestion given you should get [itex] c < n_0[/itex]. Since [itex] n_0[/itex] is the smallest integer with this property we know that [itex] n_0 -1 \leq c < n_0[/itex].

you mean this right? [tex]
A=\{n\in \mathbb{Z}~\vert~n> c\}
[/tex]

thanks you soo much

Yes. :-)

Related to Integer Inequality Homework: Proving Existence of Integer m

1. What is an integer inequality?

An integer inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two integers using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It is used to show the relationship between two numbers and can be solved to find the possible values of the variables involved.

2. What is the purpose of proving the existence of an integer m?

The purpose of proving the existence of an integer m is to show that there is at least one integer value that satisfies a given inequality. This is important in mathematical proofs and problem-solving, as it allows us to make accurate conclusions and find solutions to equations involving integers.

3. How do you prove the existence of an integer m in an inequality?

To prove the existence of an integer m, we typically use a proof by contradiction. This involves assuming that there is no integer value that satisfies the inequality and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This contradiction proves that our assumption was incorrect, and there must be an integer m that satisfies the inequality.

4. Can an integer inequality have multiple solutions?

Yes, an integer inequality can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one integer value that satisfies the inequality. For example, the inequality 2x + 3 < 10 has multiple solutions, such as x = 1, x = 2, x = 3, etc.

5. How is proving the existence of an integer m related to real-life situations?

Proving the existence of an integer m is related to real-life situations in many ways. In fields such as economics, computer science, and engineering, integer inequalities are used to model and solve real-world problems. For example, in budgeting, we may use integer inequalities to determine the minimum amount of money needed to cover expenses. In programming, we may use them to optimize the use of resources in computer systems. In all these cases, proving the existence of an integer m is crucial in finding accurate solutions.