Instantaneous axis of rotation

In summary: The instant the two centres are aligned vertically, the two rotations are the same and thus the two linear velocities are the same. In summary, the question asks for the speed of the centre of the larger hoop relative to the table when the centres of the two hoops are aligned vertically, and there are two methods to solve this. The first method involves considering the instantaneous axis of rotation, which is the point of contact between the table and the hoop system. Using the equation Δmgh = 0.5Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the hoop system about the instantaneous axis, the speed of the centre of the larger hoop can be calculated. The second method involves considering the rotational and translational kinetic energy of
Yoonique

Homework Statement

Two hoops are fastened together as shown below. Smaller hoop mass m, and larger hoop mass 3m. The system is now placed on the table and the system is released from rest in the position shown below. There is sufficient friction between the large hoop and the table so that it rolls without slipping. How fast relative to the table is the centre of the large hoop moving when the centres of the two hoops like in a vertical line?
Snapshot.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is two methods to solving this question. The first method is considering the instantaneous axis of rotation the moment the centres of the two hoops lies in a vertical line which is the point on contact between the table and the hoop system.
So Δmgh = 0.5Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia of the hoop system with respect to the instantaneous axis of rotation.

There is a second method where I can consider Δmgh = 0.5Icmω2 + 0.5McmVcm2, where Icm is the moment of inertia of the hoop system with respect to the centre of mass.

Here is the part where I do not really understand. The first method uses v=ωr to find the total K.E of the hoop system. But I cannot use v=wr to find the total K.E of the hoop system for the second method as the answer said the centre of mass is rotating with respect to some other points. If I want to use the second method, I need to consider the rotational energy of the moving centre of mass. Can someone explain this to me? I don't really get it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If v is the velocity of the centre of the larger hoop, and r is the radius of the larger hoop, and omega is the rotation rate then ##v=\omega r## in all approaches. But I wouldn't use the mass centre of the hoop pair at all. Either use the instantaneous centre of rotation or the centre of the larger hoop. Anything else is more complex.

haruspex said:
If v is the velocity of the centre of the larger hoop, and r is the radius of the larger hoop, and omega is the rotation rate then ##v=\omega r## in all approaches. But I wouldn't use the mass centre of the hoop pair at all. Either use the instantaneous centre of rotation or the centre of the larger hoop. Anything else is more complex.
How do I use the centre of large hoop as a frame of rotation? Δmgh = rotational kinetic energy with respect to the centre of large hoop + translation kinetic energy of the centre of mass with respect to the ground?

Yoonique said:
How do I use the centre of large hoop as a frame of rotation? Δmgh = rotational kinetic energy with respect to the centre of large hoop + translation kinetic energy of the centre of mass with respect to the ground?
As I said, I would avoid having to determine the mass centre. Express the motion of each hoop, separately, as a rotation about the centre of the large hoop, plus a horizontal linear velocity.

Related to Instantaneous axis of rotation

1. What is the instantaneous axis of rotation?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is an imaginary line around which an object is rotating at a specific instant in time. It is also known as the instantaneous center of rotation or the instantaneous point of rotation.

2. How is the instantaneous axis of rotation different from the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed and does not necessarily correspond to the instantaneous axis of rotation. The instantaneous axis of rotation is the point at which all points on an object are rotating at the same velocity.

3. How is the instantaneous axis of rotation determined?

The instantaneous axis of rotation can be determined by analyzing the motion and velocity of an object. It is typically located at the intersection of the perpendicular lines drawn from the velocity vectors of two points on the object.

4. Can an object have multiple instantaneous axes of rotation?

Yes, an object can have multiple instantaneous axes of rotation if it is rotating along multiple axes simultaneously. This is often seen in complex or irregularly shaped objects.

5. What is the significance of the instantaneous axis of rotation in physics?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is important in understanding the rotational motion of objects and calculating their angular velocity and acceleration. It also helps in analyzing the stability and equilibrium of objects in motion.