Inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe

In summary, according to Ampere's law, the insertion of an unmagnetized steel rod into a hollow copper pipe with a current flowing along its axis will not produce any significant changes as the magnetic field inside the pipe is zero and the steel rod is not magnetized. This has been confirmed by the Physics Forum community.
orzyszpon
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown >>

The situation is as follows: Current I flows along the axis of the copper pipe. From Ampere's law, the magnetic field inside the pipe is zero and is equal to μ0*I/(2π*r) outside the pipe. Now, an unmagnetized steel rod is inserted into the hollow pipe. What, if anything, happens?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
orzyszpon said:
The situation is as follows: Current I flows along the axis of the copper pipe. From Ampere's law, the magnetic field inside the pipe is zero and is equal to μ0*I/(2π*r) outside the pipe. Now, an unmagnetized steel rod is inserted into the hollow pipe. What, if anything, happens?
What are your thoughts?

I think that nothing will happen. The steel rod is inserted into a field-free region, and the rod itself is unmagnetized. Had it been magnetized, it would have induced currents in the copper pipe that would have produced a magnetic field opposing the motion of the steel rod. However, the steel rod is not magnetized here, and I wanted to hear from the learned audience at the Physics Forum.

orzyszpon said:
I think that nothing will happen. The steel rod is inserted into a field-free region, and the rod itself is unmagnetized. Had it been magnetized, it would have induced currents in the copper pipe that would have produced a magnetic field opposing the motion of the steel rod. However, the steel rod is not magnetized here, and I wanted to hear from the learned audience at the Physics Forum.
Your thoughts seem okay so far to me. Is this a schoolwork question?

Yes, it is a schol-related question asked of me by a high-school teacher with regard to a student project. I wonder whether there is anything I am not seeing that would upset what seems like a logical thread of thought. I can't see Lenz's law operating here. Thank you for your interest.

Since it is for schoolwork, I'll go ahead and move this thread to the schoolwork forums.

When will you be able to check your answer?

We are the answer. There is no cavalry coming.

Likes berkeman

Related to Inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe

1. How does inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe affect the current flow?

Inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe will increase the resistance of the circuit, causing the current to decrease. This is due to the steel rod having a higher resistance than the copper pipe, creating a bottleneck in the circuit.

2. Can inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe damage the circuit?

Yes, if the steel rod is not properly insulated or the current is too high, it can cause a short circuit and potentially damage the circuit. It is important to use proper precautions and follow safety guidelines when performing this experiment.

3. What is the purpose of inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the effects of resistance on a circuit. By inserting a steel rod, which has a higher resistance than copper, into the path of the current, the resistance of the circuit increases and the current decreases.

4. How does the diameter of the steel rod affect the current flow?

The diameter of the steel rod will have a direct effect on the amount of resistance it adds to the circuit. A thicker steel rod will have a lower resistance and therefore, less of an impact on the current flow compared to a thinner steel rod.

5. Can inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe generate heat?

Yes, inserting a steel rod into a current-carrying copper pipe can generate heat due to the increased resistance and decreased current flow. This heat is a result of the energy being converted into heat instead of being used to power the circuit. Care should be taken to avoid overheating and potential damage to the materials.