Lenz' Law - request for formula (for 2 given cases)

In summary: The final velocity for both the tube and the magnets has an error of + or - Δ for some Δ (of course the Δ being known) ?Can anyone please help with this??
Student149

Homework Statement

Assume a uniform hollow cylindrical copper tube with the following parameters:
  1. Inner radius = R0
  2. Outer Radius = R1
  3. Length = L1 (Length > Outer Radius)
  4. Mass = M1
Now assume a cylindrical permanent magnet with the parameters:
  1. Length = L0 (L0 < L1)
  2. Mass = M0
  3. Magnetic Strength = G0 Gauss (I am unsure how the strength should be measured, so we can change this into any other appropriate parameter as desired.
There are two scenarios we need to consider:

Case 1:

Assuming the copper tube is aligned parallel to y axis, and at rest w.r.t. to an outside observer. The magnet is traveling at velocity V0 from parallel to y-axis towards the tube at rest. The center of the tube and the magnet are aligned so the magnet would pass through the copper cylinder without touching its inner walls. Both magnet and tube have their length parallel to y axis.

Due to the Lenz's Effect as the magnet passes though the copper tube it would generate eddy current that would slow down the magnet and some of the momentum would be transferred to the copper tube along y axis. Thus, as the magnet exits the tube:
  1. The velocity of magnet along x-axis = 0 (since magnet is traveling parallel to y axis)
  2. The velocity of magnet along y-axis = Vy1
  3. The velocity of tube along x-axis = 0 (since magnet is traveling parallel to y axis)
  4. The velocity of tube along y-axis = Vy2

Case 2:

All the parameters described as in Case 1 are same. Assume a cylindrical rod parallel to x-axis at rest w.r.t. an outside observer. The rod has negligible mass mass, so for sake of simplicity assume Mass = 0 and some appropriate length = L2. At each end of the rod are two equal copper tubes attached, each tube making an angle +θ and -θ with the x axis.

Now, two magnets are traveling with the velocity v0 with an angle +θ and -θ w.r.t. the x axis. The magnets and tubes are such that their centers are perfectly aligned and they would pass straight through the tubes if they were simple metallic pieces.

Again, due to the Lenz's Effect, as the magnet exits the tube:
  1. The velocity of magnet along x-axis = Vx1
  2. The velocity of magnet along y-axis = Vy1
  3. The velocity of tube along x-axis = 0 (since the horizontal components of the velocity would cancel each other out due two two tubes at angle +θ and -θ w.r.t. the x axis)
  4. The velocity of tube along y-axis = Vy2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am looking for a formula (plug and play) to solve these kind of problems (since there are too many factors at play due to electromagnetism and moving magnets, if not exact, then a good approximation would also do) but am failing to find any.

Frankly I have not much idea for any attempt at solution, thus the query for formula.

P.S. This is not a homework problem but out of curiosity. So I don't have much background to follow hints but just looking for a plug and play formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe there is a plug and play formula given your statement of what you want to do. To avoid numerical integration (which means no formula), I would model the magnet as a point magnetic dipole. Even so, integrating the eddy currents over the length of the cylinder to find the ohmic losses looks like a big chore.

kuruman said:
I don't believe there is a plug and play formula given your statement of what you want to do. To avoid numerical integration (which means no formula), I would model the magnet as a point magnetic dipole. Even so, integrating the eddy currents over the length of the cylinder to find the ohmic losses looks like a big chore.

Thank you. I understand. I would be fine with any decent approximation of the two cases. Say the final velocity for both the tube and the magnets has an error of + or - Δ for some Δ (of course the Δ being known) ?

Can anyone please help with this??

Its fine if integrating over a path is necessary to get the answer (an example would be helpful).

1. What is Lenz' Law?

Lenz' Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the direction of induced current in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. It states that the induced current will flow in such a direction as to oppose the change in the magnetic field that produced it.

2. What is the formula for Lenz' Law?

The formula for Lenz' Law is represented by the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where EMF stands for electromotive force, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dΦ/dt represents the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. How does Lenz' Law apply to two given cases?

In the first case, if a magnet is moved towards a conducting loop, the change in magnetic flux will induce a current in the loop in such a direction as to produce a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the magnet. In the second case, if a magnetic field is changed, for example by turning off an electromagnet, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction to the original current, in order to maintain the original magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of Lenz' Law?

Lenz' Law is significant because it is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that is used to explain and predict the behavior of induced current in various scenarios. It is also important for understanding the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and how they interact in everyday devices such as generators and motors.

5. How is Lenz' Law applied in real-life situations?

Lenz' Law is applied in various real-life situations, such as in generators and motors, where it is used to produce and control electrical energy. It is also used in electromagnetic braking systems, where the changing magnetic field induces a current in a conductor, producing a force that slows down the moving object. Additionally, Lenz' Law is applied in induction cooktops, where it is used to heat up cookware through the induction of electrical currents.