Magnetism Question about the MMF and a Steel Ring

In summary, the question is asking how to find the magnetic field in a metal ring, and the answer is that you need to use the radius of the ring and the B-H curve for cast steel.
The curious
Summary:: This question is in relation to finding the mmf of a cast steel ring. Unfortunately I do not know how to post a picture of the page showing the graph.

[Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the technical forums so no Homework Template is shown]

A cast steel ring has a cross sectional area of 600mm2 and a radius of 25mm.Determine the necessary to establish a flux of 0.8mWb in the ring. Use the B-H curve for cast steel shown on page 78. (Ans 270A)

I don't know how to post a picture of the page showing the map here. Perhaps I might be able to find it online and I will try and link it here

Thank you kindly.
Regards The Curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
The curious said:
I don't know how to post a picture of the page showing the map here.
You can use the "Attach files" link under the Edit window, or even just use the Windows Snipping tool to capture a screenshot of the image, and then Paste it into the Edit window.

Can you post the relevant equations for MMF and inducing flux in a metal ring? Are you going to use a current in a coil to induce this flux?

Hello burkeman
There is no coil it's a magnetic ring on it's own. I will see on how to post the details of this problem on your instructions including my workings.
Cheers
The Curious

Likes berkeman
20200505_194434.jpg

[Mentor inserting blown-up image of the problem with better clarity]

Steel Ring MMF Problem 16.png

Attachments

• 20200505_194521.jpg
    20200505_194521.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
These are the pages of both the question and the graph. I am also going to post my workings.
Cheers.

Step 1 I worked out Flux Density B=0.133T
Step 2 I found the magnetic field strength H=300. Not sure if this is good as I used a ruler on the graph in order to try and measure it to scale. (10mm = 1000At/m).
Step 3 I tried finding the magnetomotive force (mmf=Hxl).
Note. The issue is in finding the length. I assumed that I needed to find the outer circumference but I was wrong!
Any help is much appreciated
Cheers and thanks again

The Curious

Attachments

• 15887850236331777376218378993067.jpg
    15887850236331777376218378993067.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 15887850689267178534464119281591.jpg
    15887850689267178534464119281591.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 122
It's a bit hard to see your work (it's always best to type your work into the forum to make it clearer and to make it easier for others to quote). But did you use the centerline of the ring? It looks like that is the correct radius to use for such calculations:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/toroid.html

1588789756150.png

BTW, there are math symbols under the √ (square root) symbol above the Edit window, and there is a LaTeX tutorial link at the bottom of the Edit window. :smile:

Hi berkeman
Sorry about my awful handwriting. I will take your advice and use the symbols as shown. I'm just getting used to this forum. Thanks for sending me the link as I will explore it now. The image you sent of the toroid and your suggestion of using the inside part of the ring has shed some new light on this for me. Perhaps I needed the centre of the shaded area within the ring.
Cheers and thanks again.😀

Likes berkeman

1. What is MMF in relation to magnetism?

The term MMF stands for Magnetomotive Force, which is the driving force that creates a magnetic field. It is similar to voltage in an electrical circuit.

2. How is MMF calculated?

The MMF is calculated by multiplying the number of turns in a coil by the current flowing through it. It is measured in ampere-turns (AT).

3. What is the purpose of a steel ring in relation to magnetism?

A steel ring is often used in magnetism experiments to create a closed magnetic circuit. This means that the magnetic field lines are contained within the ring, creating a stronger and more focused magnetic field.

4. How does a steel ring affect the MMF?

The steel ring acts as a magnetic core, increasing the magnetic permeability of the circuit and therefore increasing the MMF. This allows for a stronger magnetic field to be produced with the same amount of current.

5. Can a steel ring be used to create a permanent magnet?

No, a steel ring cannot be used to create a permanent magnet. It can only enhance the strength of a magnetic field when an electrical current is flowing through it. To create a permanent magnet, a material with high magnetic coercivity, such as iron or neodymium, must be used.