Insect eggs or droppings of some kind?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insect
In summary: I'm going to have to go back and ask what they were.In summary, Insect eggs, cocoons, or droppings of some kind? were found all over a terrace. They are about the size of a rolled up pillbug, smooth surface with a matt gloss. They are probably from some kind of bug, but their eggs and cocoons do not look like the ones found. They may be from a wolf spider, but it is still unclear. It is advised to wear gloves and cut one open in a dish to see what is inside.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Insect eggs, cocoons, or droppings of some kind?

All over my terrace I am finding strange grey balls, does anyone have a clue what they could be? They're about the size of a rolled up pillbug, smooth surface with a matt gloss.

I've never seen them before, maybe some nice bug is inside or 1000s of tiny spiders could emerge from them... kind of creepy.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't dare, who knows what's inside

I did manage to identify a strange bug as a ladybug larve, but unfortunately their eggs and cocoons don't look like the ones I found.
Common4.jpg

Greg Bernhardt said:
Crack one open :)
Remember to have an insect spray before attempting :wink:
Monique said:
Crush them!

adjacent said:
Crush them!
That'd be cruel, and they're hiding everywhere. Some more:

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 613
Monique said:

haha are you not a biologist!?

Light? Heavy? Hard? Soft? Styrofoam?

I'm going with thousands of tiny spiders.

Greg Bernhardt said:
haha are you not a biologist!?
Not a real one, but I dissect fruit fly larvae and brains like a pro :-p

Borek said:
Light? Heavy? Hard? Soft? Styrofoam?
Gee Borek, these things creep me out and surely I don't dare to touch them. Definitely not styrofoam though.

russ_watters said:
That's what I'm afraid of. That, or ticks are using my terrace to store their blood-filled sacks for later use.

I've put two of these mystery objects underneath a glass, let's see what happens..

russ_watters said:

Could be, but I've never seem spider egg cocoons scattered around on the ground. They usually attach them to somewhere that will be dry and sunny.

They look a bit like horticultural perlite or vermiculite. Has somebody knocked over a plant container on the terrace recently?

Monique said:
Gee Borek, these things creep me out and surely I don't dare to touch them. Definitely not styrofoam though.
Get tweezers and a microscope.

omg omg omg, it looks like wolf spider egg sacks

wolf_spider_eggsac_frog.jpg

AlephZero, perlite crossed my mind, but then I should've recognized it. The perlite I know is white and irregularly shaped, not smooth grey. Also the fact that those things look so clean makes me think they are fresh, rather than coming from the ground. In the second picture you clearly see they are on top of the organic material.

Can't you just tear one apart of the with pincers, scissors, needle, whatever?

First time I hear about a biologist with greyballphobia :-p

Hahaha, I would get a small scalpel and a microscope, or magnifying glass, and just carefully make an incision. People do this with reptiles all the time when breeding. It will most likely be very fiddly at first but just try digging around with that scalpel! You should eventually be able to see what it contains, hence the microscope. Try and identify it from there if it is fully formed and, if so, what it is. How long have they been there? If you think they have been there a while it should be fine.

Wolf spiders care for their egg sacs and will carry them around until they hatch, and even then the mother usually carries the babie spiders around on her back - so I highly doubt it's spider sacs.

Just wear some gloves and cut one open in a dish so there's no mess/escape - they probably are from plants more likely than anything.

*does funny paralyzing moves then faints*

"Insect eggs or droppings of some sort"? That was the lunch special in my school's cafeteria today! What re the odds?

Related to Insect eggs or droppings of some kind?

What do insect eggs or droppings look like?

Insect eggs can vary in appearance depending on the species, but they are typically tiny and oval-shaped. They can be translucent, white, or even brightly colored. In contrast, insect droppings, also known as frass, are small and rounded pellets. They can be black, brown, or green in color.

How can I identify what type of insect laid the eggs or left the droppings?

Identifying the type of insect based on their eggs or droppings can be challenging, as many species have similar characteristics. It is best to consult with a local entomologist or use online resources to compare the appearance of the eggs or droppings to known species.

Are insect eggs or droppings harmful to humans?

In most cases, insect eggs and droppings are not harmful to humans. However, certain species of insects, such as cockroaches, can carry diseases and their droppings can trigger allergies. It is best to avoid touching or inhaling insect eggs or droppings and to take precautions when handling them, such as wearing gloves.

Where can I find insect eggs or droppings?

Insect eggs can be found on plants, in soil, or in cracks and crevices around the home. Droppings can be found in similar locations, as well as on surfaces where insects have been feeding or resting. Some insects, such as termites, produce droppings that can also be found in their nests or tunnels.

What should I do if I find insect eggs or droppings in my home?

If you find insect eggs or droppings in your home, the first step is to identify the source and type of insect. If they are from a harmful species, it is best to contact a pest control professional to safely remove them. If they are from a harmless species, you can simply clean and dispose of the eggs or droppings using gloves and proper sanitation methods.