Initial Velocity of the original superman

In summary, the original Superman leaps 85.5 m into the air and lands on a building. To find his initial velocity, we can use the equation v2 = v1 + 2ad, where d = 85.5 m and v2 = 0. It is assumed that Superman's acceleration can be taken as 0, as he is no longer in contact with the ground once his feet leave it. Therefore, we can solve for v1, his initial velocity, using the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, which is approximately 9.8 m/s2.
LunaFlores

Homework Statement

The original superman leaps into the air to land on an 85.5 m high building. What was his intial velocity?
d = 85.5 m
v2 = 0
v1 = ?
a = 9.8 m/s2 (I'm not sure about this one so I just used acceleration due to gravity)

Homework Equations

v2 = v1 + 2ad (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure what acceleration value to use for this or if I can solve it without using acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
LunaFlores said:

Homework Statement

The original superman leaps into the air to land on an 85.5 m high building. What was his intial velocity?
d = 85.5 m
v2 = 0
v1 = ?
a = 9.8 m/s2 (I'm not sure about this one so I just used acceleration due to gravity)

Homework Equations

v2 = v1 + 2ad (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure what acceleration value to use for this or if I can solve it without using acceleration

Unless Superman is on the Planet Krypton, you should use the acceleration due to gravity here on Earth, but make sure it has the proper sign.

Since he's leaping from the ground, it's approximately correct to say that Superman's acceleration can be taken as zero, since once his feet are in the air, he can no longer provide any additional force on the ground to increase his velocity.

Thank you!

Related to Initial Velocity of the original superman

What is the initial velocity of the original superman?

The initial velocity of the original superman is not clearly defined as it varies depending on the specific comic or movie adaptation. However, it can be estimated to be around 100 meters per second based on his superhuman speed and ability to fly.

How does the initial velocity of the original superman compare to other superheroes?

The initial velocity of the original superman is generally considered to be one of the highest among superheroes. It is similar to the initial velocity of the Flash, but faster than other popular superheroes such as Spiderman or Captain America.

What factors could affect the initial velocity of the original superman?

The initial velocity of the original superman could be affected by factors such as his physical strength, the environment he is in, and any external forces acting upon him. Additionally, any abilities or powers he may possess could also impact his initial velocity.

Is the initial velocity of the original superman scientifically possible?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively say whether the initial velocity of the original superman is scientifically possible. However, based on our current understanding of physics, it is highly unlikely that a human or any other living being could reach such high velocities without external assistance or advanced technology.

How has the initial velocity of the original superman changed over time?

The initial velocity of the original superman has varied in different comic book and movie adaptations. In some versions, he is portrayed as being able to fly at incredible speeds, while in others he is limited to running and jumping at high velocities. The specific portrayal of his initial velocity has also evolved over time with advancements in technology and special effects.