Calculating Superman's Average Force (due in 4 days)

In summary: So in summary, the problem involves Superman (m = 90 kg) jumping over a 78 m tall building by first accelerating from rest to his maximum velocity in 0.004 s. The equations needed to solve for the average force acting on Superman are F=ma, A=v/t, vf^2=vi^2-2ad, and vf=vi+at. The downward force on Superman due to gravity at any given time is 882.9N. To find the initial velocity, we can use vf^2=vi^2-2ad. Once we have the initial velocity, we can use a=v/t to find the acceleration, and then use F=ma to find the average force acting on Superman,
riggi91

Homework Statement

Superman (m = 90 kg) jumps over a 78 m tall building by first accelerating from rest to his maximum velocity in 0.004 s. Subsequent to this time, Superman follows normal projectile motion. What is the average force acting on Superman that gives his upward acceleration?. In determining the initial velocity, ignore the distance superman travels during his initial acceleration stage. Also, assume he is jumping straight up. Do not use exponential notation in submitting your answer.

Homework Equations

The equations that I have gathered are:
F=ma
A=v/t
vf^2=vi^2-2ad
vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to find the Initial velocity first, but in order to do so I need either Time or Acceleration, which I have neither of. All I have found is that the downward force on superman due to gravity at any given time is 882.9N.

Please guide me in the direction to get the answer! Also please don't just give me the answer as I need to learn how to do this for my Physics class!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
But you do know the initial velocity:
Superman (m = 90 kg) jumps over a 78 m tall building by first accelerating from rest to his maximum velocity in 0.004 s
... you nee ##\sum F = ma##

Duh! I don't know why I didnt realize that before. I also believe I've found vf

I used vf^2=vi^2-2ad and got 39.099 m/s for the vf. If that is correct would i just use a=v/t to find out a?

I got the answer. after i found vf i used a=v/t and then just used F=ma and my answer was 879727.5N

Thank you for your help!

No worries :)

Related to Calculating Superman's Average Force (due in 4 days)

1. How do you calculate Superman's average force?

To calculate Superman's average force, we need to use the formula: average force = mass x acceleration. We can estimate Superman's mass to be around 100kg and his acceleration to be 100m/s² based on his abilities. Therefore, his average force would be 10,000 Newtons.

2. What units should be used to measure Superman's average force?

The standard unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N). However, since Superman's force is much greater than what humans are capable of, we can also use kilonewtons (kN) or even meganewtons (MN).

3. Why is it important to calculate Superman's average force?

Calculating Superman's average force can give us a better understanding of his strength and abilities. It can also help us compare his strength to other superheroes or fictional characters.

4. Can Superman's average force change over time?

Yes, Superman's average force can change over time. It can be affected by various factors such as his physical condition, emotional state, and the amount of energy he uses. Therefore, it is not a constant value and can vary depending on the situation.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating Superman's average force?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating Superman's average force. Since he is a fictional character with superhuman abilities, it is impossible to accurately measure his force in real-world terms. Our calculations can only be estimates based on our understanding of physics and his abilities.