Inflation and it's implication

In summary, the conversation is discussing the paper "Eternal inflation and its implications" by Alan Guth (2007) and its claims that inflation is not eternal into the past and that the inflating region must be incomplete in past directions. However, the paper also states that there is no conclusion that an eternally inflating model must have a unique beginning and that there may be models with regions of contraction embedded within the expanding region. The conversation is seeking clarification on the concept of a beginning in relation to inflation.
saleh
HI,...
This is my first post here on this forum ...
I wonder if anyone here can help me to clarify some concepts to me in the paper of alan guth 2007 named "Eternal inflation and its implications"
and this is my question here ...
he says in the abstract the following
:"Although inflation is generically eternal into the future,
it is not eternal into the past: it can be proven under reasonable assumptions that the
inflating region must be incomplete in past directions, so some physics other than
inflation is needed to describe the past boundary of the inflating region."

and in p.14 :"If the universe can be eternal into the future, is it possible that it is also eternal into
the past? Here I will describe a recent theorem [43] which shows, under plausible
assumptions, that the answer to this question is no"

that seems to me -if I understand correctly-that he suggests a past incompleteness which is synonimous to "beginning" ,But then he says
"There is of course no conclusion that an eternally inflating model must have a
[unique beginning], and no conclusion that there is an upper bound on the length of
all backwards-going geodesics from a given point. There may be models with regions
of contraction embedded within the expanding region that[ could evade our theorem]."

so any thoughts on the subjects ?!, It could really be helpful
Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Yike: I'll just tidy that up for you...
saleh said:
I wonder if anyone here can help me to clarify some concepts to me in the paper of alan guth 2007 named "Eternal inflation and its implications"
You mean this one?
Eternal inflation and its implications.
Alan Guth (2007) J.Phys.A40:6811-6826,2007

and this is my question here ...
he says in the abstract the following

"Although inflation is generically eternal into the future, it is not eternal into the past: it can be proven under reasonable assumptions that the inflating region must be incomplete in past directions, so some physics other than inflation is needed to describe the past boundary of the inflating region."

...and in p.14

"If the universe can be eternal into the future, is it possible that it is also eternal into
the past? Here I will describe a recent theorem [43] which shows, under plausible
assumptions, that the answer to this question is no"

...that seems to me -if I understand correctly-that he suggests a past incompleteness which is synonimous to "beginning"

But then he says
"There is of course no conclusion that an eternally inflating model must have a
[unique beginning], and no conclusion that there is an upper bound on the length of
all backwards-going geodesics from a given point. There may be models with regions
of contraction embedded within the expanding region that[ could evade our theorem]."

...so any thoughts on the subjects ?!, It could really be helpful

What is your question?
The quoted sections are saying that the inflation had to start sometime, but the argument used does not tell us anything beyond that.

The square brackets in the second quote (which is from p16) were added by you - the original no brackets but otherwise was identical. You have to be careful about this because square brackets inside a quote usually indicates text that is added by the person doing the quoting.

You don't need to change the color or the font-size and, in general, you should avoid doing that.

OH thanks simon ! ...
I'm new in this site , so excuse me for any thing (like typing in red color or ...) , and the brackets were indeed added by me , just for drawing your attention to these words !
I actually send a message to Alan guth to clarify this to me , ... If you would I will post it here ...
my question was about the " no conclusion that an eternally inflating model must have a unique beginning"
and the "that the inflating region must be incomplete in past directions"

so as I understand correctly ... the inflation had a beginning , but we don't know yet what was before

The inflation had a beginning - the argument used in the paper does not tell us about the nature of the beginning, or of the inflation between then and now, or anything really, just that it has to be there if the current models are correct. Try not to draw any conclusions from the paper beyond that. The paper does not say anything about what anyone else may or may not know or what other models and arguments may or may not show.

Thank you simon , for the answer ...
I'm not drawing any conclusion , I just want a clarification on the subject ...

What is inflation?

Inflation is a general increase in the price of goods and services in an economy. It is often measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), which tracks the prices of a basket of common goods and services over time.

How does inflation affect the economy?

Inflation can have both positive and negative effects on the economy. On one hand, it can encourage spending and boost economic growth. However, if inflation is too high, it can lead to a decrease in purchasing power, which can harm consumers and businesses.

What causes inflation?

Inflation is primarily caused by an increase in the money supply within an economy. This can happen due to factors such as government policies, changes in interest rates, and increases in production costs.

What are the different types of inflation?

There are several types of inflation, including demand-pull inflation, cost-push inflation, and built-in inflation. Demand-pull inflation occurs when there is an increase in demand for goods and services, leading to a rise in prices. Cost-push inflation occurs when there is an increase in the cost of production, causing businesses to raise their prices. Built-in inflation is a result of expectations of future inflation, leading to higher prices and wages.

What are some strategies for controlling inflation?

The most common strategies for controlling inflation include monetary policy, fiscal policy, and supply-side policies. Monetary policy involves controlling the money supply and interest rates, while fiscal policy focuses on government spending and taxation. Supply-side policies aim to increase the efficiency of markets and businesses to reduce production costs.