Inflation: meaning of χ (chi) for time scales?

In summary, in an undergrad video lecture on inflation by Guth, he derives the inflationary expansion rate a(t) ~ eχt, with χ = sqrt(8πGρf/3) and ρf being the mass density of the false vacuum energy. Later in the lecture, he gives sample numbers associated to inflation and calculates the inverse of the expansion rate, χ-1 ~ 10-38 seconds, and the event horizon length before inflation, c/χ ~ 10-28 cm. However, it is not clear if χ-1 represents the time at which inflation started or the duration of inflation. In other sources, it is mentioned that inflation might have started at around 10-30something
DoobleD
This is another question related to an undergrad video lecture on inflation by Guth. In the course, he derives the inflationary expansion rate :

a(t) ~ eχt, with χ = sqrt(8πGρf/3), and ρf being the mass density of the false vacuum energy.

Later in the lecture, around 51:35, Guth gives sample numbers associated to inflation. The starting point is based on the idea that inflation started at energies where Grand Unified Theories were valid, which is on the order of EGUT ~ 1016 GeV. From that, he deduces ρf by dimensional analysis. He then computes the inverse of the expansion rate, χ-1 ~ 10-38 seconds, and what I think is the event horizon length before inflation : c/χ ~ 10-28 cm.

Here is a screenshot (he forgot the the -1 exponent for χ ~ 2.8 * 10-38 s, he corrects it later) :

23_Inflation_You_Tube_3.png

I'm ok with EGUT and ρf. What I'm not sure is what do to with χ-1. Does this represent the time at which inflation might have started ? Or the duration of inflation ? And if it is one of those, why ?

Alternatively, in those http://www.emu.dk/sites/default/files/guth_inflation.pdf, he says at some point :

The basic inflationary scenario begins by assuming that at least some patch of the early universe was in this peculiar false vacuum state. To begin inflation, the patch must be approximately homogeneous on the scale of χ−1 , as defined by Equation (1.10).

Equation (1.10) being a(t) ~ eχt, with χ = sqrt(8πGρf/3).​

And I'm not really sure what that phrase means either ?

Space news on Phys.org
It is the time needed for the universe to increase all lengths by a factor e. Inflation lasts much longer than that.

mfb said:
It is the time needed for the universe to increase all lengths by a factor e. Inflation lasts much longer than that.

Thank you. Is there a (simple) way we can evaluate how long inflation lasts ? And when it starts ?

If there was something before inflation, then inflation should have started at its typical energy scale.
Unfortunately we don't know how long it lasts, only lower limits can be found. The answer could be forever (eternal inflation).

mfb said:
If there was something before inflation, then inflation should have started at its typical energy scale.

Which might be EGUT ? Is there a way to put a time on that energy scale ? I read poeple saying inflation might have started at 10-30something s but I can't find the sources of those affirmations.

mfb said:
Unfortunately we don't know how long it lasts, only lower limits can be found. The answer could be forever (eternal inflation).

Do you know how we can find those lower limits ? Same thing I read durations of the order of 10-30something s but no proof is given.

DoobleD said:
Which might be EGUT ?
Sure. The time scale for the start (if there was a start at all) depends on unknown physics.
Do you know how we can find those lower limits ? Same thing I read durations of the order of 10-30something s but no proof is given.
In the standard literature on inflation, they should be cited in the Wikipedia article about inflation.

Ok, I have found some stuff. But there is still something I can't find : why is the end of the GUT epoch is estimated to be 10-36 s (or sometimes, 10-35 s) ?

If we assume inflation happened at a GUT energy scale, it must have started after the Planck time (10-44 s) and before the GUT breaks into the strong and electroweak forces. Which is estimated to have happen at around 10-36 s, for some reason nobody cares to give.

I have checked web pages, courses notes, and even cosmology books, and none explains how this estimation is made. I feel like it must come from one or two papers I can't get my hands on.

Should I create a new thread for that specific question ("why do we think the GUT epoch ended at around 10-36s ?" ) ?

A new thread is probably better.

Likes DoobleD

Related to Inflation: meaning of χ (chi) for time scales?

1. What is the meaning of χ (chi) in the context of inflation?

χ (chi) is a mathematical parameter used in inflationary cosmology to measure the rate of expansion of the universe during the inflationary period. It represents the energy density of the inflaton field, which drives the rapid expansion of the universe.

2. How does χ (chi) affect the time scales of inflation?

The value of χ (chi) determines the duration of inflation, with larger values resulting in longer inflationary periods. This is because a higher energy density of the inflaton field leads to a stronger repulsive gravitational force, causing the universe to expand at a faster rate.

3. Is χ (chi) a constant or does it change over time during inflation?

χ (chi) is not a constant and can change over time during inflation. In fact, it is expected to decrease as the universe expands, as the inflaton field loses energy and eventually ends the inflationary period.

4. How does the value of χ (chi) affect the properties of the universe after inflation?

The value of χ (chi) has a direct impact on the structure and properties of the universe after inflation. A higher value of χ (chi) leads to a more homogeneous and flat universe with smaller density fluctuations, while a lower value can result in a more uneven and curved universe with larger fluctuations.

5. Can χ (chi) be directly observed or measured?

No, χ (chi) cannot be directly observed or measured. It is a theoretical parameter used in mathematical models to explain the phenomenon of inflation. However, its effects on the universe can be indirectly observed through measurements of cosmic microwave background radiation and other cosmological data.