Inequalities, trigonometric and x exponent.

In summary: Sorry, I'm not making myself clear. I get that it's a visual thing for you, but it's something that's going to visually confuse those of us who are looking at the markup, which is what I see when I quote your post. The markup is how you get LaTeX and HTML formatting. When you post, it gets converted into the visual thing that you see. So I'm saying that your way of writing ≤ was confusing me, since I'm looking at the markup, and your markup is different than the markup we usually see. That was all. I'm not saying that you have to use the ≤ symbol.
Mutaja
These are the two last problems I'll bother you with for a short while (I love this forum, I'll definitely stay on and hopefully be able to contribute in the future).

Homework Statement

Problem 1:
(##-x^2##-1)sin2x > 0 , xe[0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]]

Problem 2:
##2^{-x^2+x+2}## < 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem:

Since x is an element within a positive boundary, can I write the problem as:

sin(2x) ≤ 0

Why, or why not?

Other than that, I need to refresh my knowledge on solving inequalities.

Any help or input is appreciated while I attempt to gather more info.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mutaja said:
These are the two last problems I'll bother you with for a short while (I love this forum, I'll definitely stay on and hopefully be able to contribute in the future).

Homework Statement

Problem 1:

Problem 2:
##2^{-x^2+x+2}## < 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem:

Since x is an element within a positive boundary, can I write the problem as:

sin(2x) ≤ 0

Why, or why not?

Other than that, I need to refresh my knowledge on solving inequalities.

Any help or input is appreciated while I attempt to gather more info.

Your first inequality can be rewritten as -(x2 + 1)sin(2x) ≥ 0, or
(x2 + 1)sin(2x) ≤ 0

Since x2 + 1 ≥ 1 for all real x, it can never be zero or negative. If you divide both sides of the inequality by x2 + 1, and the direction of the inequality won't change. That gets you to the inequality you wrote.

BTW, your mix of LaTeX and HTML tags threw me off for a bit. In LaTeX use leq for ≤. Using the U (underscore) HTML tag under a < symbol confused me for a bit.

You can also click Go Advanced to see a table of quick symbols off to the right. It has Greek letters and symbols such as ≤, ≥, ≠, ∞, and several others.

Mark44 said:
Your first inequality can be rewritten as -(x2 + 1)sin(2x) ≥ 0, or
(x2 + 1)sin(2x) ≤ 0

Since x2 + 1 ≥ 1 for all real x, it can never be zero or negative. If you divide both sides of the inequality by x2 + 1, and the direction of the inequality won't change. That gets you to the inequality you wrote.

But how do I go from sin2x ≤ 0 to something like x = [itex]\pi[/itex] + n [itex]\pi[/itex]/2? This is just something random I wrote down, but hopefully you get the idea.

Where do I even look to find the solution for this?

Also, in respect to my 2nd inequality. I don't know where I should look for tips on how to solve it. My book says absolutely nothing about inequality in this regard. It might sound lazy, but I've looked. I suspect I'm supposed to remember this from pre-calculus math but it's as unfortunate as it's obvious - I don't.

Sorry I'm not able to make more progress before posting again. Again, thanks for all your help and any input is greatly appreciated.
Mark44 said:
BTW, your mix of LaTeX and HTML tags threw me off for a bit. In LaTeX use leq for ≤. Using the U (underscore) HTML tag under a < symbol confused me for a bit.

You can also click Go Advanced to see a table of quick symbols off to the right. It has Greek letters and symbols such as ≤, ≥, ≠, ∞, and several others.

I'm sorry, I didn't know it mattered as I can't see any visual difference, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

You're not going to get x = ... as the solution to sin(2x) ≤ 0. The simplest way is to sketch a quick graph of y = sin(2x) and note the intervals where the graph touches or goes below the x-axis.

For your second problem, which is
$$2^{-x^2 + x + 2} < 4$$

Note the 4 = 22, so then you have
$$2^{-x^2 + x + 2} < 2^2$$

Since y = 2x is a strictly increasing function, if 2A < 2B, then A < B.

Mutaja said:
I'm sorry, I didn't know it mattered as I can't see any visual difference, but I'll keep that in mind.
This was in reference to what I said about using the canned symbols ≤ rather than [ U]<[/ U]; i.e., coming up with your own way to write ≤. A lot of us here at PF will "quote" your post, which means that we're looking at the LaTeX and/or HTML markup, instead of how the post actually appears in the browser, so your ≤ actually seemed to me at first to be <, which was why I was confused.

Related to Inequalities, trigonometric and x exponent.

1. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities and shows their relationship using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. In contrast, an equation is a mathematical statement that states two expressions are equal to each other using an = sign.

2. How are trigonometric functions used in real-life applications?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are used in various real-life applications, such as architecture, engineering, navigation, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in a variety of situations.

3. What is the meaning of x exponent in mathematical expressions?

The x exponent, also known as the power of x, represents the number of times that x is multiplied by itself in a mathematical expression. For example, in the expression x3, x is multiplied by itself three times.

4. How do you solve inequalities involving x exponent?

To solve an inequality involving x exponent, you must first isolate the x exponent on one side of the inequality sign. Then, take the appropriate root of both sides of the inequality to eliminate the exponent. Finally, solve for x and check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

5. Can trigonometric functions be negative?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be negative. Depending on the angle being evaluated, the sine, cosine, and tangent functions can have positive or negative values. This is due to the unit circle, which is used to define these functions, having both positive and negative coordinates in each quadrant.