Exploring the Intersection of Ellipsoids and Spherical Shells

In summary, the person is asking about how the boundary of an inequality changes when the origin of the coordinate system changes. They provide an original inequality and a new term, and mention playing around with simpler problems. They also mention two different shapes, a spherical shell and ellipsoids, and ask if the person wants to know about a coordinate transformation or the intersection of the shapes within the same coordinate system. The person responds that they are looking for the range of values for the ellipsoids that fit between the two spherical shells.
Ark236

Homework Statement

I would like to know how the boundary of the inequality change when the origin of the coordinate system changes.

Homework Equations

The original inequality is[/B]
$$ r_0 \le x^2+y^2+z^2 \le R^2$$

I would like to know the boundary of the following term, considering the previous inequality
$$ (2x-1)^2+(2y-1)^2+z^2 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I write

$$(2x-1)^2+(2y-1)^2+z^2=4[ (x-0.5)^2+(y-0.5)^2+z^2/4] $$[/B]

but I do not know how to proceed with the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a simpler problem. If x2<a2, what bounds can you put on (x-1)2?
It may help to play around with some examples.

in this case $$ (x-1)^2 \le (a+1)^2 $$ and $$ (x-1/2)^2 \le (a+1/2)^2 $$

Both sets of numbers also describe two different shapes. One is a spherical shell, the other ellipsoids. So the first question is:
'Do you consider them as a coordinate transformation, and you want to know how the shell is transformed?' or 'Do you want to know which part of the ellipsoids intersects with the shell, i.e. both hold within the same coordinate system?'

fresh_42 said:
Both sets of numbers also describe two different shapes. One is a spherical shell, the other ellipsoids. So the first question is:
'Do you consider them as a coordinate transformation, and you want to know how the shell is transformed?' or 'Do you want to know which part of the ellipsoids intersects with the shell, i.e. both hold within the same coordinate system?'
I think what is required is the range of ellipsoids (i.e. the values of c in ##c=(2x-1)^2+(2y-1)^2+z^2##) which fit between the two spherical shells.

Related to Exploring the Intersection of Ellipsoids and Spherical Shells

1. What is the boundary of an inequality?

The boundary of an inequality is the line or curve that separates the solutions that are greater than or less than a certain value. It is represented by an equal sign in the case of a greater than or equal to or less than or equal to inequality, or by a dashed line in the case of a strict greater than or less than inequality.

2. How do you determine the boundary of an inequality?

To determine the boundary of an inequality, you first need to rewrite the inequality in the form of an equation. Then, plot the equation on a graph and draw the appropriate line or curve to represent the boundary. The line or curve should be solid if the inequality is greater than or equal to or less than or equal to, and dashed if the inequality is strict greater than or less than.

3. How is the boundary of an inequality related to its solutions?

The boundary of an inequality separates the solutions into two regions: those that are greater than or less than the given value, and those that are equal to the given value. The boundary itself is not a solution, but it helps to determine which values are included in the solution set.

4. Can the boundary of an inequality be included in the solution set?

No, the boundary of an inequality is not included in the solution set. This is because the boundary represents the value that the solutions are approaching but never reaching. For example, in the inequality x < 5, the boundary is x = 5, but the solutions are all values less than 5.

5. How can the boundary of an inequality be used to solve real-life problems?

The boundary of an inequality can be used to represent a limit or constraint in real-life situations. For example, in a budgeting problem, the boundary of an inequality can represent the maximum amount of money that can be spent. The solutions to the inequality would then represent the possible amounts of money that can be spent without going over the budget.