Inductance & magnetic flux problem -

In summary, the problem involves a 200 turn coil with a diameter of 4cm and resistance of 2 ohms, connected to a 1 microFarad capacitor. The coil is initially held in a horizontal plane and the capacitor is discharged. After quickly rotating the coil 180 degrees, the voltage on the capacitor is found to be 12 V. The change in flux is calculated to be 2.4 e-5 Wb, resulting in an EMF of 12 V. It is noted that the capacitor would discharge again after being rotated.
bcjochim07
Inductance & magnetic flux problem -- please help

Homework Statement

The magnetic field of a place on Earth has strength 55 microTesla and is tilted 60 degrees below horizontal. A 200 turn coil with diameter 4cm and resistance 2 ohms is connected to a 1 microFarad capacitor. The coil is held in a horizontal plane and the capacitor is discharged. Then quickly the coil is rotated 180 degrees. Afterwards, what is the voltage on the capacitor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the flux through the coil initially:

= pi* (.02)^2 * (5.5e-5) * cos (30) * 200 = 1.2 e -5 Wb

But I really don't understand what happens when the capacitor discharges. Also, how does just flipping the loop over will change the flux to induce a current? It seems to me that the angle doesn't change or anything. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Any ideas? This is really bugging me that I don't understand this very well.

hmmm... ok
So I guessed that the flux would be the same when flipped only with the opposite sign:

(1.2e-5)--(1.2e-5) = change in flux = 2.4 e-5 Wb

(2.4e-5)/dt = EMF

(2.4e-5)/(2ohm)dt = dq/dt

dq= 1.2 e-5 C = (1e-6F)Vc
Vc = 12 V

I do have another question though. The capacitor would discharge again after being rotated, right?

Related to Inductance & magnetic flux problem -

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of a circuit to generate an electromotive force (EMF) by changing the current passing through it.

2. How is inductance measured?

The unit of inductance is the Henry (H), and it is typically measured using a device called an inductance meter or an LCR meter.

3. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measurement of the total amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Weber (Wb).

4. How is magnetic flux related to inductance?

According to Faraday's law of induction, a changing magnetic flux through a circuit will induce an EMF, which in turn causes a current to flow in the circuit. Therefore, inductance is a measure of how much current will be induced in response to a change in magnetic flux.

5. How can I calculate inductance in a circuit?

The formula for calculating inductance is L = Φ/I, where L is the inductance in Henry, Φ is the magnetic flux in Weber, and I is the current in Amperes. However, the calculation can be more complex for more complicated circuits and may require the use of specialized software or tools.