Magnetic flux - magnitude of the change

In summary, the problem involves a 200-loop coil of cross-sectional area 8.5 cm2 in the plane of the page. An external magnetic field of 0.060 T is directed out of the plane of the page and decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds. The question asks for the magnitude of the change in the external magnetic flux enclosed by the coil. Using the equation Φ=BAN, the initial magnetic flux is calculated to be 8.16*10^-3 Tm2. Subtracting the final value of 2.72*10^-3 Tm2 from the initial value gives a total change of 5.44*10^-3 Tm2. This is the total
superslow991

Homework Statement

A 200-loop coil of cross sectional area 8.5 cm2 lies in the plane of the page. An external magnetic field of 0.060 T is directed out of the plane of the page. The external field decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds.
(a) What is the magnitude of the change in the external magnetic flux enclosed by the coil?

Homework Equations

Φ=BAN

The Attempt at a Solution

I did 200*(8*10^-4)(0.06-0.02) and gotthe answer i got for this problem was 6.8*10^-3
Teacher said it was wrong. Did i mess up somewhere? i calculated it twice and got the same answer so I am not sure how the answer would be wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
superslow991 said:

Homework Statement

A 200-loop coil of cross sectional area 8.5 cm2 lies in the plane of the page. An external magnetic field of 0.060 T is directed out of the plane of the page. The external field decreases to 0.020 T in 12 milliseconds.
(a) What is the magnitude of the change in the external magnetic flux enclosed by the coil?

Homework Equations

Φ=BAN

I did 200*(8*10^-4)(0.06-0.02) and gotthe answer i got for this problem was 6.8*10^-3
Teacher said it was wrong. Did i mess up somewhere? i calculated it twice and got the same answer so I am not sure how the answer would be wrong?

What is the rate of change of the magnetic field?

Above, as part of your work, you've calculated the total change of magnetic field as part of the answer, but what is the rate of change?

[Edit: see next post. I might have misinterpreted the question.]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
What is the rate of change of the magnetic field?

Above, as part of your work, you've calculated the total change of magnetic field as part of the answer, but what is the rate of change?
Im not following, are you saying to divide the work i did by the time?

superslow991 said:
Actually on second thought, re-reading the specific question, there might be some misunderstanding for what is being asked.

The way I read the question verbatim [after re-reading it], it isn't asking about rate of flux change, but rather the total change in flux.

Also the use of the word "external" might play a part here. Does the "external" flux depend upon the number of loops in the coil?

Last edited:
superslow991 said:
Im not following, are you saying to divide the work i did by the time?
Eventually, perhaps in part (b), I'm guessing that the finding the rate of change of magnetic flux comes into play. And in that case you'll want to divide the total change of flux by the time of the change, to obtain the rate of change.

But given the specific wording of part (a), maybe that's not what your teacher is asking for here.

Instead, for part (a), you might want to focus on the word "external." Does the number of turns in the coil affect this "external" flux?

collinsmark said:
Eventually, perhaps in part (b), I'm guessing that the finding the rate of change of magnetic flux comes into play. And in that case you'll want to divide the total change of flux by the time of the change, to obtain the rate of change.

But given the specific wording of part (a), maybe that's not what your teacher is asking for here.

Instead, for part (a), you might want to focus on the word "external." Does the number of turns in the coil affect this "external" flux?
I mean probably not since the flux would be outside the coil? not too sure.
Either that or i was suppose to subtract 0.02 from 0.06?

superslow991 said:
I mean probably not since the flux would be outside the coil?

Between you and me, I don't like the way the question was worded.

I think by "external magnetic flux" your teacher was asking you to find the flux, defined by magnetic field strength and and area, of that place in space, whether the coil is actually there or not.

Then find the change from the starting time to the end, to find the change in flux.

I don't like the question because you need the coil to compute the area component, but you ignore the coil for the number of turns it has.

Anyway, that's how I interpret the question after re-reading it.

not too sure.
Either that or i was suppose to subtract 0.02 from 0.06?

Subtracting 0.02 from 0.06 will give you the change in magnetic field strength. You'll still need to throw the area in there somehow to obtain the change in flux.

collinsmark said:
Between you and me, I don't like the way the question was worded.

I think by "external magnetic flux" your teacher was asking you to find the flux, defined by magnetic field strength and and area, of that place in space, whether the coil is actually there or not.

Then find the change from the starting time to the end, to find the change in flux.

I don't like the question because you need the coil to compute the area component, but you ignore the coil for the number of turns it has.

Anyway, that's how I interpret the question after re-reading it.
Subtracting 0.02 from 0.06 will give you the change in magnetic field strength. You'll still need to throw the area in there somehow to obtain the change in flux.
yea idk either its asking for flux=BA or flux = BA/t not to sure bout this question

superslow991 said:
yea idk either its asking for flux=BA or flux = BA/t not to sure bout this question

Flux is equal to [itex] \Phi = \vec B \cdot \vec A [/itex].

The rate of change of flux involves dividing the change of flux by the change in time, but I don't think that is what part (a) of the question is asking for.

Likes superslow991
collinsmark said:
Flux is equal to [itex] \Phi = \vec B \cdot \vec A [/itex].

The rate of change of flux involves dividing the change of flux by the change in time, but I don't think that is what part (a) of the question is asking for.
hmm ok. So what do you think part A is asking for?

superslow991 said:
hmm ok. So what do you think part A is asking for?
You spell it out. :wink:

superslow991 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Φ=BAN

I did 200*(8*10^-4)(0.06-0.02)
The area was 8.5 cm2. You calculated with 8 cm2.

ehild said:
The area was 8.5 cm2. You calculated with 8 cm2.
Typo sorry
collinsmark said:
You spell it out. :wink:
idk I mean I thought my equation would solve for the flux but your saying I have to solve for the change of the flux? Went through different calculations just don't know what would be the right answer

superslow991 said:
idk I mean I thought my equation would solve for the flux but your saying I have to solve for the change of the flux?
No, your original attempt solved for the change in the flux, which I believe is correct (forget about post #2, that was my mistake).

But I don't think you need to include the number of turns in the coil for part (a), given the specific way it was worded.

Likes superslow991
collinsmark said:
No, your original attempt solved for the change in the flux, which I believe is correct (forget about post #2, that was my mistake).

But I don't think you need to include the number of turns in the coil for part (a), given the specific way it was worded.
hmm ok thanks for the help ill try to see what happens today

Related to Magnetic flux - magnitude of the change

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measurement of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux is the Weber (Wb). It is equivalent to one volt-second.

How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (in teslas) by the area (in square meters) that the field passes through, and then taking the cosine of the angle between the field and the normal to the surface.

What is the difference between magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux refers to the total amount of magnetic field passing through a given area, while magnetic flux density refers to the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point in space. In other words, flux is a measure of the total amount of field, while flux density is a measure of the concentration of the field.

Why is magnetic flux important in electromagnetism?

Magnetic flux is important in electromagnetism because it is a fundamental quantity used to describe the behavior of magnetic fields. It is used in equations to calculate the force between two magnetic objects, the induction of current in a circuit, and the behavior of electromagnets.