Induced voltage from a rod sliding on rods in a B-Field

In summary, the problem involves two long rods with a distance of 100mm between them, with another rod sliding over them in a homogeneous magnetic field of 1T. There is a voltage generator with constant E and resistance R=0.1Ω between the rods. When there is no mechanical force, the velocity of the rod is v0=10m/s. The power of the engine can be represented in terms of the velocity of the rod and the mechanical force acting on it. To find the strongest mechanical force and corresponding power, the usual method of taking the derivative can be used. Additionally, the induced electric field can be expressed as Eind=v×B, but the voltage of the generator E can be determined using the
cdummie

Homework Statement

Two long rods with distance between them a=100mm, over those two rods there's another rod sliding, friction between them is negligible. The rods are placed in homogenous magnetic field whose B is equal 1T, with direction shown in the picture, between the rods there is voltage generator with constant E, and resistance R=0,1Ω. When mechanical force on rod is zero, then, velocity of rod is v0=10m/s. Represent power of this engine in function of the velocity of the rod and find the mechanical force that acts when power of this engine is strongest, and find that power. Ignore the self-inductance (i believe self-inductance is the correct term).
Screenshot_1.png

Homework Equations

e[/B]ind=∫(v×B)dl

The Attempt at a Solution

When there's no mechanical force, then there's only magnetic force due to generator E, but i don't know how to express power using velocity and how can i express it if i don't know is there mechanical force (it says at first that if there's no mechanical force then v is known), i mean is mechanical force important for finding power of the eind "generator" and how can i find the expression wanted?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this one's a bit more involved than your farady disc.
Questions for you:
1. what is the net force on the sliding rod, since its velocity is constant?
So what are the two forces that must cancel each other as the rod slides along?
Can you determine E from this?
2. When a force is imposed counter to the direction of v, what is then the net current and force on the sliding rod? Power?
3. maximize the power the usual way.

rude man said:
Well, this one's a bit more involved than your farady disc.
Questions for you:
1. what is the net force on the sliding rod, since its velocity is constant?
So what are the two forces that must cancel each other as the rod slides along?
Can you determine E from this?
2. When a force is imposed counter to the direction of v, what is then the net current and force on the sliding rod? Power?
3. maximize the power the usual way.

1. As far as i know, rod is moving only when sum of all forces that act on it are not equal zero, since mechanic force is zero, then there's only magnetic force due to generator E, and it's Fmagnetic=IB×a, considering the angles between the two vectors we have Fmagnetic=IBa, I=(E+eind)/R and i have everything but mechanical force and E here but i could find einduced if in case when only magnetic force acts and it's einduced=vBa but that still can't help me find E so i am not really sure what to do with this.

2. If there's a force opposite to the direction of v, then v could change the direction if the new force is stronger than the one that pushed rod before it. I am not sure for the power, how can i express power? Should it be P=I*(eind+E) because i don't have E yet?

3. Usual way? By taking derivative?

cdummie said:
1. As far as i know, rod is moving only when sum of all forces that act on it are not equal zero
That's not what Newton said ...
2. If there's a force opposite to the direction of v, then v could change the direction if the new force is stronger than the one that pushed rod before it.
In that case the engine would not be providing power, would it? No, direction of v does not change after external mechanical force is applied.
I am not sure for the power, how can i express power? Should it be P=I*(eind+E) because i don't have E yet?
As I suggested last time, E can be expressed in terms of v (and constants).
3. Usual way? By taking derivative?
Right

rude man said:
That's not what Newton said ...

But then i don't understand. What would happen if there's mechanic force equal by intensity to the magnetic force and with opposite direction?

In that case the engine would not be providing power, would it? No, direction of v does not change after external mechanical force is applied.
Again, i don't understand, why it wouldn't and why it won't change direction, if mechanical force is stronger?

As I suggested last time, E can be expressed in terms of v (and constants).
Well i know that Eind=v×B but that's induced electric field, not E, so i am not sure about this either.

cdummie said:
But then i don't understand. What would happen if there's mechanic force equal by intensity to the magnetic force and with opposite direction?
One thing at a time. You haven't done the first part yet, which is finding E, which you do before a mechanical external force is applied. The rod is moving to the left at 10 m/s with zero current in the sliding rod. Find E.
Again, i don't understand, why it wouldn't and why it won't change direction, if mechanical force is stronger?
You want the motor to provide work against the external force. That means the sliding rod has to move to the left, always. So the external force, applied to the right, cannot be equal to the magnetic force or then v = 0 and no work would be done. You're applying a force somewhere between zero and the mag. force, and the direction of motion is always to the left, as the v arrow shows.
If you had a motor running clockwise, would you force it to turn counterclockwise with an excessive external force? You'd be doing work on the motor, not the motor doing work on you. Same thing here.
Well i know that Eind=v×B but that's induced electric field, not E, so i am not sure about this either.
E is the voltage of the generator, not any electric field. See above.

rude man said:
One thing at a time. You haven't done the first part yet, which is finding E, which you do before a mechanical external force is applied. The rod is moving to the left at 10 m/s with zero current in the sliding rod. Find E.

Then. i could consider that there are two generators: E and eind so i should have I=(E+eind)/R , but if current is zero, then E=-eind. But i still don't understand how can current be zero. Does this means that every time when i have a generator and only force that acts on rod is magnetic force due to that generator, then eind will always be equal (by intensity) to E?

cdummie said:
Then. i could consider that there are two generators: E and eind so i should have I=(E+eind)/R , but if current is zero, then E=-eind. But i still don't understand how can current be zero. Does this means that every time when i have a generator and only force that acts on rod is magnetic force due to that generator, then eind will always be equal (by intensity) to E?

I don't know about generalizing the way you did.
For this problem, the total force, and current, have to be zero, since the sliding rod is not accelerating.
This is of course before a mechanical force is applied towards the right. At that point, the current has to be finite to counter the mech. force. There will still be no acceleration so the net force on the rod will always be zero..

rude man said:
I don't know about generalizing the way you did.
For this problem, the total force, and current, have to be zero, since the sliding rod is not accelerating.
This is of course before a mechanical force is applied towards the right. At that point, the current has to be finite to counter the mech. force. There will still be no acceleration so the net force on the rod will always be zero.

Ok, i think i understand now, basically, Fmagnetic=Ia×B=0 , a is not zero, B is not zero, so current must be zero, now, I=(E+eind)/R =0 SO E + eind=0, E=-eind, eind=∫(v×B)dl =vBa=1V which means that E=-1V. Now for the second part. When mechanical force applies, magnetic force won't be zero anymore, that would mean that eind won't be equal by intensity to the E, how can i then express power of engine in function of velocity.

cdummie said:
Ok, i think i understand now, basically, Fmagnetic=Ia×B=0 , a is not zero, B is not zero, so current must be zero, now, I=(E+eind)/R =0 SO E + eind=0, E=-eind, eind=∫(v×B)dl =vBa=1V which means that E=-1V.
You're on the right track now! Except for the signs. Set up a coord. system: v = -v i, B = b k and a = -a j so eind=∫(v×B)dl = - vBa and E = + vBa. As shown on your diagram.
Now for the second part. When mechanical force applies, magnetic force won't be zero anymore, that would mean that eind won't be equal by intensity to the E, how can i then express power of engine in function of velocity.
OK: the sliding rod is moving to the left against a force Fmech directed to the right; how much energy does the rod have to produce to move the rod a distance x? and what is the corresponding power?

rude man said:
You're on the right track now! Except for the signs. Set up a coord. system: v = -v i, B = b k and a = -a j so eind=∫(v×B)dl = - vBa and E = + vBa. As shown on your diagram.
OK: the sliding rod is moving to the left against a force Fmech directed to the right; how much energy does the rod have to produce to move the rod a distance x? and what is the corresponding power?

I don't know about the energy, but i know that P=Fmag*v (at least i think it should be magnetic force, since the rod has the same direction as magnetic force). Now, since Fmag=IaB, then Fmag=(E+eind)aBv/R. Is this correct?

cdummie said:
I don't know about the energy, but i know that P=Fmag*v (at least i think it should be magnetic force, since the rod has the same direction as magnetic force).
Right.
Now, since Fmag=IaB, then Fmag=(E+eind)aBv/R. Is this correct?
Almost. Redo your last expression.
I again urge making units checking a habit. Fmag has units of force which is F whereas (E+eind)aBv/R has units of power which is FLT-1. So your last equation contains an error. Maybe a typo. Really small but still all-important.

After you fixed that, how about eliminating E and eind with expressions in v?

rude man said:
Right.
Almost. Redo your last expression.
I again urge making units checking a habit. Fmag has units of force which is F whereas (E+eind)aBv/R has units of power which is FLT-1. So your last equation contains an error. Maybe a typo. Really small but still all-important.

After you fixed that, how about eliminating E and eind with expressions in v?

I think i know, its:

P=Fmagv

now Fmag=IaB

and I=(E+eind)/R

so Fmag=aB(E+eind)/R

and P=aBv(E+eind)/R

or of i express eind with v (i believe you are asking me to do that since v, a and B are given values) then i have:

P=aBv(E+avB)/R

Now, what is the expression for mechanical force, since i have to know it's maximum (i mean it can't be the same as for magnetic, since they are not equal and only way i can express mechanic force is Fmeh=IaB but i doubt it is correct since it's the same as expression for magnetic force)?

cdummie said:
I think i know, its:

P=Fmagv

now Fmag=IaB

and I=(E+eind)/R

so Fmag=aB(E+eind)/R

and P=aBv(E+eind)/R

or of i express eind with v (i believe you are asking me to do that since v, a and B are given values) then i have:

P=aBv(E+avB)/R
v isw not a "given value" now. v was given only before the mechanical force was applied. Once Fmech is applied, v will be smaller. But your formula for P is now correct if you watch your signs of E and avB.
Now, what is the expression for mechanical force, since i have to know it's maximum (i mean it can't be the same as for magnetic, since they are not equal and only way i can express mechanic force is Fmeh=IaB but i doubt it is correct since it's the same as expression for magnetic force)?
Oh but they ARE equal! The rod is still not accelerating, so Fmech + Fmag = 0. So don't be a Doubting Thomas; F = iaB is correct. But watch the signs.
And you still haven't replaced E with a function of v. (Be careful, v here should really be labeled v0 since it's = 10 m/s whereas v in your P expression is v AFTER the mech. force is applied).

rude man said:
v isw not a "given value" now. v was given only before the mechanical force was applied. Once Fmech is applied, v will be smaller. But your formula for P is now correct if you watch your signs of E and avB.

I know what you mean, because it should be E-eind in the parentheses before i "switched" eind with avB (picture confused me, it shows wrong direction of the eind).

Oh but they ARE equal! The rod is still not accelerating, so Fmech + Fmag = 0. So don't be a Doubting Thomas; F = iaB is correct. But watch the signs.
And you still haven't replaced E with a function of v. (Be careful, v here should really be labeled v0 since it's = 10 m/s whereas v in your P expression is v AFTER the mech. force is applied).

E=avB since eind=-avB and E=-eind, now i should find derivative of Fmech=-iaB but none of these are variables, how can i do that?

cdummie said:
E=avB since eind=-avB and E=-eind, now i should find derivative of Fmech=-iaB but none of these are variables, how can i do that?
As I said last time, you need to distinguish between v before the force, and v after. Let us forthwith define v0 as the initial velocity, which is a constant = 10 m/s. Then, v after the force is applied IS a variable; it varies with the mechanical force magnitude.

rude man said:
As I said last time, you need to distinguish between v before the force, and v after. Let us forthwith define v0 as the initial velocity, which is a constant = 10 m/s. Then, v after the force is applied IS a variable; it varies with the mechanical force magnitude.

Well i guess i could, Since Fmech=-iaB, express B in terms of v like this E =vBa, then B=E/va so Fmech=-iaE/va=-iE/a and then find derivative of this, is this correct?

cdummie said:
Well i guess i could, Since Fmech=-iaB, express B in terms of v like this E =vBa, then B=E/va so Fmech=-iaE/va=-iE/a and then find derivative of this, is this correct?
You're still not separating v from v0.

rude man said:
You're still not separating v from v0.
But how can i do that?

You found the relationship between E and v0 back in post 9! That relationship never changes, even after Fmech is applied. Whereas v is a function of Fmech.

rude man said:
You found the relationship between E and v0 back in post 9! That relationship never changes, even after Fmech is applied. Whereas v is a function of Fmech.
So E=v0Ba, is that correct?

cdummie said:
So E=v0Ba, is that correct?
Correct!

rude man said:
Correct!

Great, now, Fmech=-iaB and E=v0Ba => B=E/v0a so Fmech=-iE/v0 but all of these are constants, how can i find derivative?

[QUOTE="cdummie, post: 5204541, member: 541888"so Fmech=-iE/v0 but all of these are constants, how can i find derivative?[/QUOTE]
Fmech is not equal to -iE/v0. Fmech is chosen to maximize power.
Try again; relate Fmech to Find , remembering that Find can be expressed in terms of v.
I think you need to step back and try to understand what's going on here. You have a linear motor working against a force Fmech. If Fmech is too small, power = Fmech⋅v will be small. If Fmech is too big, Fmech⋅v again will be small since v will be small (dragging the motor). So there is one and only one value for Fmech for which Fmech⋅v is maximized. But Fmech can be expressed in terms of v, so you eliminate Fmech explicitly and are left with an expression in v you need to maximize wrt v.

Related to Induced voltage from a rod sliding on rods in a B-Field

1. What is induced voltage from a rod sliding on rods in a B-Field?

Induced voltage from a rod sliding on rods in a B-Field refers to the generation of an electric potential difference in a conductor, such as a metal rod, when it moves through a magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis of many electrical devices, such as generators.

2. How is induced voltage calculated in this scenario?

The magnitude of induced voltage is determined by the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the conductor. This can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced voltage (EMF) is equal to the negative of the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor.

3. What factors can affect the amount of induced voltage?

The amount of induced voltage can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor is moving, the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor, and the length of the conductor. A longer conductor and a stronger magnetic field will result in a higher induced voltage.

4. How is the direction of induced voltage determined?

The direction of induced voltage is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced voltage will always be in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux. This means that if the conductor is moving in a certain direction, the induced voltage will create a current that generates a magnetic field in the opposite direction to try and counteract the change.

5. What are some practical applications of induced voltage from a rod sliding on rods in a B-Field?

Induced voltage from a rod sliding on rods in a B-Field is used in various applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the principle behind electromagnetic braking, where the movement of a conductor through a magnetic field creates a braking force. Additionally, electromagnetic induction is used in wireless charging, where an alternating magnetic field induces a current in a receiving device, charging it wirelessly.