Index (killing form ?) in a reducible representation

In summary, Chapter 70 of Srednicki's QFT discusses the index of a representation T(R), also known as the killing form, defined by the equation Tr(TaR TbR) = T(R)δab. The chapter specifically focuses on reducible representations where R = R1⊕R2, and states that dim R = dim R1 + dim R2 and T(R) = T(R1) + T(R2). It is unclear whether this is a result or an assertion, but it can be seen by writing the operation in block matrix form and adding the traces.
hideelo
In Chapter 70 of Srednicki's QFT he discusses what he calls the index of a representation T(R) defined by

Tr(TaR TbR) = T(R)δab

I think other places call this a killing form, but I may be mistaken. In any case he discusses reducible representations R = R1⊕R2. He then states (eqn 70.11) that dim R = dim R1 + dim R2 which is obvious. He then states (eqn 70.12) that T(R) = T(R1) + T(R2) which is what I want to know about. Is this (70.12) a result or an assertion? If it's a result, how do I see it? If it's an assertion, then why do we make this choice?TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
hideelo said:
In Chapter 70 of Srednicki's QFT he discusses what he calls the index of a representation T(R) defined by

Tr(TaR TbR) = T(R)δab

I think other places call this a killing form, but I may be mistaken. In any case he discusses reducible representations R = R1⊕R2. He then states (eqn 70.11) that dim R = dim R1 + dim R2 which is obvious. He then states (eqn 70.12) that T(R) = T(R1) + T(R2) which is what I want to know about. Is this (70.12) a result or an assertion? If it's a result, how do I see it? If it's an assertion, then why do we make this choice?TIA
If you have a direct sum of vector spaces, on which something operates in a way, that leaves both subspaces ##R_i## invariant, then this operation can be written in block matrix form ##T_R= \begin{bmatrix}T_{R_1}&0\\0&T_{R_2}\end{bmatrix}## and the traces can be added.

Related to Index (killing form ?) in a reducible representation

What is the "Index (killing form)" in a reducible representation?

The "Index (killing form)" is a mathematical concept used in the study of group representations. It is a bilinear form that measures the degree of non-degeneracy of a representation.

How is the "Index (killing form)" calculated?

The "Index (killing form)" is calculated using a special formula that involves the character of the representation and the dimension of the group. It can also be expressed in terms of the dimensions of the irreducible subspaces of the representation.

What is the significance of the "Index (killing form)" in a reducible representation?

The "Index (killing form)" is significant because it can be used to determine the irreducible components of a reducible representation. It can also be used to classify representations and to study the properties of group characters.

How does the "Index (killing form)" relate to other mathematical concepts?

The "Index (killing form)" is closely related to the character table of a group, which is a matrix that contains information about the group's representations. It is also connected to the decomposition of a representation into irreducible subspaces.

How is the "Index (killing form)" used in practical applications?

The "Index (killing form)" is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the study of crystal structures, molecular symmetry, and quantum field theory. It is also used in the classification of physical particles and in the study of group theory in physics and chemistry.