Calculation of the Pontryagin index

In summary: U(1)) = \mathbb{Z}.In summary, A.Zee discusses the calculation of exercise IV.4.6, also known as the Pontryagin Index, in his book "QFT in a Nutshell." He introduces the Cartan-Maurer form, v = gdg†, and the integral Q = SN ∫tr vN on an N-dimensional manifold, which has topological significance. By studying the case of G = SU(2) and N = 3, the result is found to be -24π^2. For G = U(1) and N = 1, the result is -2πi,
S_klogW
When I read A.Zee's QFT in a Nutshell, he asked me to do the calculation of his exercise IV.4.6: (A.Zee called these the Pontryagin Index)

Let g(x) be the element of a group G. The 1-form v = gdg† is known as the Cartan-Maurer form. Then tr v^N is trivially closed on an N-dimensional manifold since it is already an N-form. Consider Q = SN ∫tr vN with SN the N-dimensional sphere. Discuss the topological meaning of Q. These con- siderations will become important later when we discuss topology in field theory in chapter V.7. [Hint: Study the case N = 3 and G = SU(2).]

I found that the result for G=SU(2) and N=3 is -24π^2, is it correct? I also calculated for the case N=1 and G=U(1), and i found the result is -2πi. What's on Earth is the topological meaning of these results?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't vN the volume element? Sounds like you're calculating the group volume.

Just to clarify the notation: you have to calculate

[tex]v_i = g^\dagger \partial_{i}\,g [/tex]

[tex]Q[g] = \frac{1}{c}\int_{S^N}d^N\Omega\,\epsilon^{i_1 i_2 \ldots i_N}\,\text{tr}(v_{i_1}\,v_{i_2}\ldots v_{i_N})[/tex]

for various Lie groups G with a Lie group valued function

[tex]g \in G [/tex]

I guess the main problem you have is to find the correct constant c which obviously depends on the group G.

OK, let's continue with U(1) on S1. Let's write

[tex]g(x) = e^{i\nu(x)}[/tex]

with a function nu(x) respecting the S1 periodicity, i.e. with

[tex]\nu(x+2\pi) = \nu(x)+n\;\Rightarrow\;g(x+2\pi) = g(x)+n[/tex]

Calculating v(x) we get

[tex]v_x = g^\dagger\,\partial_x\,g = i\,\partial_x\,\nu[/tex]

For the integral we find

[tex]-i\int_0^{2\pi}dx \, v_x = \int_0^{2\pi}dx \, \partial_x\,\nu = \nu(2\pi) - \nu(0) = n[/tex]

That means that the function nu(x) runs from 0 to n when x runs from 0 to 2π; so g runs around the U(1) circle n-times when x runs around the S1 circle once. That means that

[tex]Q[g] = n [/tex]

is nothing else but the winding number of the map

[tex]g: S^1 \to U(1)[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Calculation of the Pontryagin index

What is the Pontryagin index?

The Pontryagin index is a mathematical concept used in the study of dynamical systems. It measures the number of times a curve winds around a fixed point or equilibrium point in a dynamical system.

How is the Pontryagin index calculated?

The Pontryagin index is calculated by integrating the tangent vector field of the dynamical system along a closed curve surrounding the fixed point. This integral is then divided by 2π to obtain the final index value.

What is the significance of the Pontryagin index?

The Pontryagin index is significant because it helps to classify and analyze the behavior of dynamical systems. It can indicate the stability, periodicity, and other properties of the system based on the value of the index.

Can the Pontryagin index be negative?

Yes, the Pontryagin index can be negative. This occurs when the curve winds around the fixed point in the opposite direction of the orientation of the curve. In this case, the index is assigned a negative value.

Are there any limitations to using the Pontryagin index?

While the Pontryagin index is a useful tool for studying dynamical systems, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to systems with a finite number of dimensions, and it may not be able to fully capture the complexity of certain systems.