Independent Study as Preparation for Grad School

In summary, an independent study in a related class can lead to helpful advice from the professor and a strong relationship. If the class is unrelated to the professor's research, the study will still be beneficial.
neosoul
PF Family,

I love my undergraduate institution. However, our physics department is very small and has a very small faculty. Also, although many are listed on the webpage, we only have one physics elective, "Intro to Astronomy", which I am not very interested in. I've been thinking about enlisting in an independent studies course. I could talk to a teacher in the fall about mentoring me in the spring. Maybe, I could use independent studies to academically introduce myself to condensed matter physics. I'll also ask about research opportunities in the department, which I doubt will happen. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a very good idea. Doing an independent study is a great way to get introduced to research and is a nice way to get good recommendation letters. Tell the person who is mentoring you that you might be interested in research in him. Then the professor can use this independent research as a preperation to research.

Likes jkl71
micromass said:
I think it's a very good idea. Doing an independent study is a great way to get introduced to research and is a nice way to get good recommendation letters. Tell the person who is mentoring you that you might be interested in research in him. Then the professor can use this independent research as a preperation to research.

This. In my experience, an independent study in a class which is related to the professor's research will often result in the prof talking a lot about his research. My guess is you'll get a pretty good hint about what he does, if you don't know already. Ask lots of questions, make sure he knows that you are interested, and be a good student (duh!). Then when the class is over (or maybe before), mention that you were interested in the topic and you'd like to do research.

If the class is unrelated to his area of research, you will still develop a strong relationship with him due to the nature of an independent study.

Likes neosoul
micromass said:

Thanks. That's a good idea.

samnorris93 said:
This. In my experience, an independent study in a class which is related to the professor's research will often result in the prof talking a lot about his research. My guess is you'll get a pretty good hint about what he does, if you don't know already. Ask lots of questions, make sure he knows that you are interested, and be a good student (duh!). Then when the class is over (or maybe before), mention that you were interested in the topic and you'd like to do research.

If the class is unrelated to his area of research, you will still develop a strong relationship with him due to the nature of an independent study.

Thanks. I've already done research on the professor's research interest and already know who I will ask. I think this is a great way to develop a strong relationship with a teacher, as well. It will also allow me formally study an area of physics not taught at our school.

I think it's a great idea. Not only will you get to learn something not taught in regular classes at your school, but (as already mentioned) it will help you get a good letter of recommendation from somebody that really knows you.

It could also have unexpected benefits. As an undergrad I also wanted to learn something not covered in the standard classes, so I did independent study. Later my professor asked me which grad schools I applied to (being a bit of an introvert it never crossed my mind to ask for advice in the first place), then he told me I should really consider another school that wasn't even on my radar. As it turned out, that's the school I went to and I am pretty happy I did. I'd say on the whole studying with him was a great experience and he probably had a bigger influence on me academically than my PhD advisor did. It's good to know experienced people, they might have good advice like he did, act as a contact or something else.

Related to Independent Study as Preparation for Grad School

1. What is independent study?

Independent study is a self-directed learning experience where a student takes on a project or topic of their choice and conducts research, analysis, and writing on their own. It is typically done under the guidance of a faculty mentor.

2. How does independent study prepare for grad school?

Independent study teaches students important skills such as time management, critical thinking, and self-motivation, which are essential for success in graduate school. It also allows students to explore their interests and gain in-depth knowledge in a specific subject area.

3. Can I receive credit for independent study?

Yes, most universities offer credit for independent study. The amount of credit awarded may vary depending on the scope and rigor of the project, and it is typically approved by the student's academic advisor or department.

4. How do I find a faculty mentor for independent study?

The best way to find a faculty mentor is to research professors who are conducting research in your area of interest. You can also reach out to your academic advisor or department chair for recommendations and assistance in finding a mentor.

5. What are the benefits of independent study for grad school applications?

Independent study demonstrates to graduate schools that you are self-driven, motivated, and capable of independent research. It also allows you to develop a strong relationship with a faculty mentor, who can provide letters of recommendation for your grad school applications.