Independent carriers immersed in an insulating fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of motion in relation to electric and magnetic fields, and the implications of the Earth's movement in these processes. The participants also mention the experiments of Sir William Crookes and his theories on a potential "denser" state of matter. The conversation ends with a suggestion to visit a link for more information on Crookes' experiments.
bfam4t6
Can anybody elaborate on the insulating fluid, or point me to a good source which can?

This is why I ask:

First, we must remember that the Earth is rotating at about 1,666 km/h about its axis.

Second, the Earth is orbiting the sun at about 107,000 km/h.

The sun is moving through space at about 792,000 km/h.

And, it is claimed that the center of our Milky Way Galaxy is hurling through space at about 2,000,000 km/h.

But ultimately, nothing is stationary. So...

"If a stationary point charge, whether it be a positive or a negative charge, exhibits an electric field, and a moving charge creates a magnetic field, then how can this be true if we are already moving through space at phenonemenal speeds?

You see, even though point charges are stationary from our point of view, in reality they are moving through space at phenomenal speeds.

So, if the 'supposedly' stationary point charge exhibits an electric field, then exactly what is the electric field given that the point charges are not stationary?"

And, no, this is not me constructing or promoting my own theory. This is based on experiments performed and accepted by the community by Sir William Crookes. I'm looking for some intelligent follow ups to Crooke's ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
bfam4t6 said:
But ultimately, nothing is stationary. So...

"If a stationary point charge, whether it be a positive or a negative charge, exhibits an electric field, and a moving charge creates a magnetic field, then how can this be true if we are already moving through space at phenonemenal speeds?

You see, even though point charges are stationary from our point of view, in reality they are moving through space at phenomenal speeds.

The magnetic field produced by a moving charge is a relativistic effect. It depends on the RELATIVE motion of the charge and the sensor.

As long as the charge and the sensor are both sitting on the Earth, the forces exerted are the same as if they are not moving because they are not moving relative to each other.

Therefore it is irrelevant that the Earth is moving. And all the other motions you mentioned (the solar system, the galaxy...) are irrelevant.

Right. Now, please bear with me. I have no money for a proper education, nor do I know a mentor who can explain these things to me. So, my terminology may be very rudimentary.

What if Faraday and Crookes were correct in believing that their is another state of matter?
What if this state of matter is denser than anything normally comprehensible?
What if this state of matter, in relationship to us here on Earth, was more or less stationary.

This would mean that the measurable particles are indeed constantly in motion, at least with respect to this denser matter.

So I guess my next question for the group is: What implications does the black area have in Crooke's experiments?

The following link contains the experiments I'm referring to.

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/Library/SirWilliamCrookes/index.htm

bfam4t6 said:
Right. Now, please bear with me. I have no money for a proper education, nor do I know a mentor who can explain these things to me. So, my terminology may be very rudimentary.

What if Faraday and Crookes were correct in believing that their is another state of matter?
What if this state of matter is denser than anything normally comprehensible?
What if this state of matter, in relationship to us here on Earth, was more or less stationary.

This would mean that the measurable particles are indeed constantly in motion, at least with respect to this denser matter.

So I guess my next question for the group is: What implications does the black area have in Crooke's experiments?

The following link contains the experiments I'm referring to.

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/Library/SirWilliamCrookes/index.htm

Did you visit this link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_tube
(I think it does not really matter if you have no "super education" provided your intention is to try to learn seriously)

The insulating fluid in this scenario could refer to any fluid that has a high resistance to the flow of electricity. This could include materials such as oils, gases, or even a vacuum. The purpose of the insulating fluid would be to prevent any electrical current from flowing between the independent carriers. This could be important in experiments involving electric fields, as the movement of the carriers through the fluid could disrupt the results.

As for the question about the electric field of stationary point charges, it is important to remember that the concept of "stationary" is relative. From our perspective on Earth, we may consider a point charge to be stationary. But in reality, everything in the universe is in motion. Therefore, the electric field produced by a point charge is also in motion, constantly changing and adapting to its surroundings.

Additionally, the electric field is not dependent on the speed of the point charge, but rather its position and the positions of other charges around it. This is known as the concept of "action at a distance." So even if the point charge is moving through space at a phenomenal speed, its electric field will still exist and affect other charges around it.

It is also worth noting that the effects of motion on electric fields can be accounted for through the principles of special relativity. This theory explains how the laws of physics appear the same to all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Therefore, even if the point charges are moving through space at different speeds, the electric fields they create will still behave in a consistent and predictable manner.

In terms of Sir William Crookes' experiments, it is important to consider the limitations of the technology and understanding of the time in which they were conducted. While his findings may have been accepted by the scientific community at the time, it is possible that with advancements in technology and knowledge, we may have a better understanding of the phenomena he observed.

In conclusion, the concept of motion and its effects on electric fields is a complex and ever-evolving area of study in physics. While it may seem counterintuitive that something can be in motion and still have an electric field, this is a fundamental principle that has been proven through numerous experiments and observations.

Related to Independent carriers immersed in an insulating fluid

1. What is an "independent carrier" in the context of an insulating fluid?

An independent carrier is a particle or molecule that can move freely within an insulating fluid without being affected by external forces. This is often seen in liquids or gases where the particles are not bound to a specific structure or material.

2. How does an insulating fluid affect the movement of independent carriers?

The insulating fluid provides a medium for the independent carriers to move through. This allows them to travel long distances without being hindered by external factors. The fluid's viscosity and density can also impact the speed and direction of the carriers' movement.

3. What types of fluids are commonly used for studying independent carriers?

Insulating fluids such as mineral oil, silicone oil, and fluorocarbons are often used for studying independent carriers. These fluids have low conductivity and are able to maintain a stable environment for the carriers to move through.

4. Why are independent carriers in an insulating fluid important to study?

Understanding the behavior and movement of independent carriers in an insulating fluid can provide valuable insights into various phenomena, such as electric charge transport, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics. This knowledge can be applied in fields such as materials science, energy technology, and environmental science.

5. How are independent carriers in an insulating fluid relevant to real-world applications?

The study of independent carriers in insulating fluids has practical applications in industries such as electronics, where understanding the movement of electric charges is crucial. It also has potential applications in energy storage, heat transfer fluids, and lubricants. Additionally, this research can lead to the development of new and improved insulating fluids for various purposes.