Determining whether the non-integral form of Gauss' law applies

In summary, Gauss' law states that the net electric flux through a surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. It can be expressed as an integral or simplified by taking the electric field out of the integral and adding up the flux from all relevant surfaces. This simplified version is only valid when the electric field is constant at all points on each area being considered and the perpendicular component of the electric field is also constant.
etotheipi
I've just been learning about Gauss' law which as far as I can tell states that the net electric flux through a surface equals the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space, and is often expressed as the integral $$\int_S {\bf{E} \cdot d \bf{A}} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}$$In some cases I've read it's fine to take the electric field out of the integral to obtain something like the following $$\sum{} EA = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}$$ where instead we can just add up the flux emanating from all of the relevant surfaces on a simple shape. An example would be adding the two contributions to flux at both ends of a cylinder through an infinite charged sheet.My question is under what circumstances is this a "legal" move? It can't just be when we have a uniform electric field, since we can also apply this simplified version of Gauss' law to a spherical surface around point charge whose radius can be chosen to be whatever you want (i.e. [itex]E \cdot 4 \pi r^{2} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}[/itex])

I came to the conclusion that this is only valid when the electric field is constant at all points on each area being considered, which made sense to me since then E would be constant with respect to the surface area elements in the integral and we can consequently take it out. Is this sort of the right way of thinking about it? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
I came to the conclusion that this is only valid when the electric field is constant at all points on each area being considered, which made sense to me since then E would be constant with respect to the surface area elements in the integral and we can consequently take it out. Is this sort of the right way of thinking about it?

And also importantly add the additional stipulation that the perpendicular component of E to that area is constant.

Likes etotheipi

Related to Determining whether the non-integral form of Gauss' law applies

1. What is Gauss' law and how does it apply to non-integral forms?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It applies to both integral and non-integral forms, with the non-integral form being a more generalized version that accounts for non-uniform electric fields.

2. When does the non-integral form of Gauss' law apply?

The non-integral form of Gauss' law applies when the electric field is not constant or uniform, such as in cases where the electric field changes with distance or direction. It is also applicable in cases where the charge distribution is not symmetric.

3. How is the non-integral form of Gauss' law different from the integral form?

The integral form of Gauss' law uses a closed surface integral to calculate the electric flux, while the non-integral form uses a surface integral over a specific area to calculate the electric flux. Additionally, the non-integral form accounts for non-uniform electric fields and non-symmetric charge distributions, while the integral form assumes a uniform electric field and symmetric charge distribution.

4. What are some examples of situations where the non-integral form of Gauss' law is used?

The non-integral form of Gauss' law is commonly used in situations involving non-uniform electric fields, such as in the presence of point charges, non-uniformly charged cylinders or spheres, and charged plates with varying charge densities. It is also used in cases where the electric field is changing with distance or direction, such as in the presence of a non-uniformly charged wire.

5. How can one determine whether the non-integral form of Gauss' law applies to a specific situation?

To determine whether the non-integral form of Gauss' law applies, one must first analyze the electric field and charge distribution in the given situation. If the electric field is not constant or uniform, or if the charge distribution is not symmetric, then the non-integral form should be used. Additionally, the non-integral form can be used as a more general approach to solving problems, even in cases where the integral form may also be applicable.