Transformations of Electromagnetic Fields: Griffiths' Claims

In summary: Specifically, he uses them to derive how the electric field of a stationary point charge transforms in a frame where that charge is moving. In summary, Griffiths argues that the transformation rules for electromagnetic fields remain the same regardless of how they were produced. Although the mathematical expression for the fields may require knowledge of the charge configuration, once they are known, they can be transformed to any frame of reference using the same rules. This generalization is based on the idea that the fields provide a complete picture of how a charge will move, so no additional information about its source is needed. However, this may seem contradictory as the charge configuration does play a role in determining the transformation of the fields.
sophiatev
TL;DR Summary
Looking for an intuitive explanation as to why we can generalize how a certain field transforms when moving from one inertial reference frame to another to how other fields would transform
In Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics, chapter 12, he discusses how electromagnetic fields transform when we move from one inertial reference frame to another. On page 553, he claims
We shall assume also that the transformation rules are the same no matter how the fields were produced - electric fields associated with changing magnetic fields transform the same way as those set up by stationary charges. Were this not the case we'd have to abandon the field formulation altogether, for it is the essence of a field theory that the fields at a given point tell you all there is to know, electromagnetically, about that point; you do not have to append extra information regarding their source.
He then considers how the electric field inside a conductor made up of two parallel rectangular plates would change when we move from a frame where the conductor is stationary to one where it is moving at speed v. He considers two cases - one in which the conductor plates are parallel to the direction of motion, meaning the field between them is perpendicular to the motion, and one where the plates are perpendicular to the direction of motion, meaning the field between them is parallel to the motion. He derives equations for how the perpendicular component of the field transforms using the first scenario, and how the parallel component transforms using the second. He then generalizes these results to any situation where a system of charges is stationary in one frame and moving in another. Specifically, he uses them to derive how the electric field of a stationary point charge transforms in a frame where that charge is moving. I suppose I can see a vague justification for this generalization - the dimension of the charge configuration parallel to the direction of motion will be Lorentz contracted, leading to the same change in the perpendicular/parallel components of the fields that we saw when this dimension was Lorentz contracted for the conductor. However, I don't see generally why his initial claim about the transformation rules being the same no matter how the fields were produced holds. I understand that the fields are able to tell you the force a charged particle will experience at any point in space, meaning they give you a complete picture of how that charge will move. I suppose in this sense there is no need to append "extra information regarding their source" - once you know the mathematical expression for the fields, you're good. But to get that mathematical expression, you generally need to know about the charge configuration that produced the fields. And it's how this charge configuration changes when you move from one inertial reference frame to another that determines how the fields transform. So I don't really see how you can divorce the two, and more importantly I don't see why you can just generalize the transformation of fields produced by a specific charge configuration to other fields produced by other charge configurations. I don't really know anything about field theory, so I apologize in advance if the answer to this question follows directly from the mathematical tenants of a field theory (which I guess is what Griffiths is implying).

Physics news on Phys.org
I have studied through that book. Griffiths' point is that the fields transform in the same way no matter what created them. Of course, you need to know what is generating them to find out what they are in the first place! But once you have found them in one frame, it doesn't matter what has created them. You only need to know how they transform from the original to the new frame to get them in the other frame.

sophiatev said:
Summary:: Looking for an intuitive explanation as to why we can generalize how a certain field transforms when moving from one inertial reference frame to another to how other fields would transform

In Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics, chapter 12, he discusses how electromagnetic fields transform when we move from one inertial reference frame to another. On page 553, he claims He then considers how the electric field inside a conductor made up of two parallel rectangular plates would change when we move from a frame where the conductor is stationary to one where it is moving at speed v. He considers two cases - one in which the conductor plates are parallel to the direction of motion, meaning the field between them is perpendicular to the motion, and one where the plates are perpendicular to the direction of motion, meaning the field between them is parallel to the motion. He derives equations for how the perpendicular component of the field transforms using the first scenario, and how the parallel component transforms using the second. He then generalizes these results to any situation where a system of charges is stationary in one frame and moving in another. Specifically, he uses them to derive how the electric field of a stationary point charge transforms in a frame where that charge is moving. I suppose I can see a vague justification for this generalization - the dimension of the charge configuration parallel to the direction of motion will be Lorentz contracted, leading to the same change in the perpendicular/parallel components of the fields that we saw when this dimension was Lorentz contracted for the conductor. However, I don't see generally why his initial claim about the transformation rules being the same no matter how the fields were produced holds. I understand that the fields are able to tell you the force a charged particle will experience at any point in space, meaning they give you a complete picture of how that charge will move. I suppose in this sense there is no need to append "extra information regarding their source" - once you know the mathematical expression for the fields, you're good. But to get that mathematical expression, you generally need to know about the charge configuration that produced the fields. And it's how this charge configuration changes when you move from one inertial reference frame to another that determines how the fields transform. So I don't really see how you can divorce the two, and more importantly I don't see why you can just generalize the transformation of fields produced by a specific charge configuration to other fields produced by other charge configurations. I don't really know anything about field theory, so I apologize in advance if the answer to this question follows directly from the mathematical tenants of a field theory (which I guess is what Griffiths is implying).
If this is not valid then:

a) You could have two scenarios where the fields are the same, yet they transform differently. What happens if you subtract one of those fields from the other? In the original frame, the field is zero everywhere, yet it transforms to something that isn't zero. No forces transform to a scenario where there are forces and vice versa.

b) In terms of relative motion, there is the direction parallel to the relative motion and the directions perpendicular to the relative motion. By the principle of superposition, the total field is the sum of these two. If you analyse how a parallel field transforms and a perpendicualr field transforms, then by the principle of superposition again you have analysed the entire field.

PeroK said:
a) You could have two scenarios where the fields are the same, yet they transform differently. What happens if you subtract one of those fields from the other? In the original frame, the field is zero everywhere, yet it transforms to something that isn't zero. No forces transform to a scenario where there are forces and vice versa.
Ah, okay, I see. This counterexample was quite helpful, thank you!

1. What are Griffiths' claims about transformations of electromagnetic fields?

Griffiths' claims that the electromagnetic fields are invariant under Lorentz transformations, meaning that they have the same form in all inertial reference frames. He also states that the electric and magnetic fields are interrelated and can be transformed into each other.

2. How does Griffiths' claim impact our understanding of electromagnetic fields?

Griffiths' claim has significant implications for our understanding of electromagnetic fields. It allows us to better understand how these fields behave in different reference frames and how they are related to each other. It also helps us to make accurate predictions and calculations in different situations.

3. What evidence supports Griffiths' claims?

Griffiths' claims are supported by numerous experiments and observations, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. Additionally, the laws of electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations, are consistent with Griffiths' claims.

4. Are there any limitations to Griffiths' claims?

While Griffiths' claims are well-supported by evidence, there are some limitations to consider. For example, they may not hold true in extreme situations, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. Additionally, they do not take into account quantum effects, which may play a role at very small scales.

5. How are Griffiths' claims relevant to modern technology?

Griffiths' claims are fundamental to our understanding of electromagnetism, which is essential for many modern technologies. For example, our understanding of electromagnetic fields is crucial for the development of electronics, telecommunications, and medical imaging. Without Griffiths' claims, these technologies would not be possible.