Indefinitte Integral of Vector Valued Function

In summary, The conversation discusses the derivation of Kepler's first Law of planetary motion in a calculus book. The focus is on the indefinite integral of a vector valued function and how the constant function is depicted in a diagram, specifically the direction it points. The question is raised on how to determine this direction, with an example provided. The conversation concludes with the speaker stating they have figured it out.
Brunetto
Hey all!

My calculus book goes through the proof/derivation of Kepler's first Law of planetary motion and I got to the part where the the indefinite integral of a vector valued function and got the answer plus the constant function. When the constant function was depicted in a diagram it was shown along the x-axis instead of along the vector of the answer. I guess the question I am asking is how to determine what direction the constant function points after computing an indefinite integral.

For example:

If

[itex]\int[/itex]u' dt where u is a vector valued function

you get

u + c where c is a constant function.

How do you determine the direction that c points?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it arbitrary and it's just shown as falling along the x-axis for convenience?

Ok I figured it out...

Related to Indefinitte Integral of Vector Valued Function

1. What is an indefinite integral of a vector valued function?

An indefinite integral of a vector valued function is a mathematical operation that involves finding the antiderivative of a vector valued function. It is denoted by ∫ F(x) dx and represents a set of functions that have the original function as their derivative.

2. How is the indefinite integral of a vector valued function different from a regular integral?

The indefinite integral of a vector valued function is different from a regular integral in that it does not have definite limits of integration. This means that the result of an indefinite integral is a set of functions, rather than a single numerical value.

3. What is the purpose of finding the indefinite integral of a vector valued function?

Finding the indefinite integral of a vector valued function allows us to determine the original function that resulted in a given derivative. It also helps in solving problems involving motion, such as finding displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

4. How do you solve for the indefinite integral of a vector valued function?

To solve for the indefinite integral of a vector valued function, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to follow the rules of integration and check for any constant terms.

5. Can the indefinite integral of a vector valued function be negative?

Yes, the indefinite integral of a vector valued function can be negative. This can happen when the original function has negative values and the indefinite integral also has negative values. However, the definite integral, which has specific limits of integration, can only result in a positive or zero value.