Indefinite integral with two parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of integrating \int e^{4\ln{x}}x^2 dx using u-substitution or integration by parts. It is then suggested to simplify the expression algebraically by noting that e^{4\ln{x}} can be rewritten as x^4. This can help make the integration process easier.
find_the_fun
I'm trying to integrate \(\displaystyle \int e^{4\ln{x}}x^2 dx\)
I can't see using u-substition, \(\displaystyle x^2\) isn't the derivative of \(\displaystyle e^{4\ln{x}}\) nor vice-versa.

I tried integrating by parts and that didn't work. I used \(\displaystyle u=e^{4\ln{x}}\) and \(\displaystyle dv=x^2 dx\)

I know I can't rewrite \(\displaystyle e^{4\ln{x}}\) as \(\displaystyle e^4e^\ln{x}\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: indefinite integral with two parts

find_the_fun said:
I'm trying to integrate \(\displaystyle \int e^{4\ln{x}}x^2 dx\)
I can't see using u-substition, \(\displaystyle x^2\) isn't the derivative of \(\displaystyle e^{4\ln{x}}\) nor vice-versa.

I tried integrating by parts and that didn't work. I used \(\displaystyle u=e^{4\ln{x}}\) and \(\displaystyle dv=x^2 dx\)

Note that $e^{4\ln x} = e^{\ln(x^4)} = x^4$.

Can you take things from here?

Re: indefinite integral with two parts

Chris L T521 said:
Note that $e^{4\ln x} = e^{\ln(x^4)} = x^4$.

Can you take things from here?

I guess the lesson learned from this is to simplify the expression algebraically before attempting integration techniques.

Related to Indefinite integral with two parts

What is an indefinite integral with two parts?

An indefinite integral with two parts is a mathematical concept in calculus that involves splitting a function into two separate parts, each of which is then integrated separately. This is often done to simplify the integration process and make it more manageable.

How is an indefinite integral with two parts solved?

To solve an indefinite integral with two parts, the function is first split into two separate parts. Each part is then integrated separately, using standard integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. The two resulting integrals are then combined to form the final solution.

What are some common examples of indefinite integrals with two parts?

Some common examples of indefinite integrals with two parts include integrals involving trigonometric functions, such as sin(x) and cos(x), as well as integrals involving logarithmic or exponential functions. These types of integrals often require splitting the function into two parts in order to be solved.

What is the purpose of using an indefinite integral with two parts?

The purpose of using an indefinite integral with two parts is to simplify the integration process and make it more manageable. By splitting the function into two parts, it is often easier to integrate each part separately and then combine the two resulting integrals, rather than trying to integrate the entire function at once.

Are there any limitations to using indefinite integrals with two parts?

While indefinite integrals with two parts can be useful for simplifying the integration process, they may not always be necessary or effective. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other integration techniques, or the function may not be easily split into two parts. It is important to consider the specific problem at hand when deciding whether to use this method.