Indefinite integral with a rational function

In summary, the problem provided is to find the indefinite integral of ((y^2-1)/y)^2 dy. The attempt at a solution involved splitting the statement into two fractions, simplifying, foiling and finding the antiderivative. However, the correct solution is y^3/3 - 2y - 1/y + C, with an error in finding the antiderivative of the last term. The correct solution is -1/y + C.
cwbullivant
EDIT: Problem found. This thread can now be ignored.

Homework Statement

Find the indefinite integral.

Homework Equations

((y^2-1)/y)^2 dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted a few things. I first attempted to split the statement inside the outer parentheses into two fractions;

(y^2/y - 1/y)^2 dy

Then to reduce it to,

(y - 1/y)^2 dy

And then foil it and take an antiderivative. This comes out to

Foiled: y^2 - 2 + 1/y^2 dy

And then the antiderivative:

y^3/3 - 2y + 1/y + C

But I appear to still be incorrect. According to Wolfram's integral calculator, the solution is

y^3/3 - 2y - 1/y

I'm close. I'm apparently missing a sign somewhere, and I can't seem to find where it is, and I don't feel comfortable plugging in the answer until I know how I got there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is just when you are finding the anti-derivative of the last term:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{y^2}dy=-\frac{1}{y}+C[/tex]

Related to Indefinite integral with a rational function

1. What is an indefinite integral with a rational function?

An indefinite integral with a rational function is a mathematical expression that represents the antiderivative (or reverse operation) of a rational function. It is used to find the general solution to a problem, rather than a specific numerical answer.

2. How is an indefinite integral with a rational function solved?

An indefinite integral with a rational function is solved by using the rules of integration, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The goal is to break down the rational function into simpler components and then use these rules to integrate them.

3. Can the integration of a rational function result in a non-rational function?

Yes, the integration of a rational function can result in a non-rational function. This is because some rational functions have antiderivatives that cannot be expressed as a rational function. In such cases, the resulting function is known as an improper rational function.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals with rational functions?

A definite integral with a rational function gives a specific numerical value as a result, while an indefinite integral with a rational function gives a general solution in the form of a function. In other words, a definite integral is like finding the area under a curve, while an indefinite integral is like finding the equation of the curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of indefinite integrals with rational functions?

Indefinite integrals with rational functions have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and finance. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the power output of a circuit, or the compound interest on a loan. They are also used in signal processing and control systems to analyze and design complex systems.