In memory: Rachel Corrie (1979 - 2003)

• News
  • Thread starter Bilal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, Two years ago, Rachel Corrie, a student from The Evergreen State College, was crushed by an Israeli army bulldozer while trying to stop the demolition of a Palestinian home in the Gaza Strip. Her family has continued to seek answers and push for a thorough investigation into her death. Prior to her death, Rachel had been in Palestine for two weeks, witnessing the harsh living conditions and violence caused by the Israeli occupation. She had also been involved in activism and advocacy work. After her death, a song was written about her, highlighting the dangers of standing up against a powerful oppressor. Some people have criticized Rachel for her actions, saying it was her fault for standing in front of a moving bulldozer. Others see
kat said:
Well, you see...Bilal was attempting to attribute all of the arab deaths during that war to Sharon. Which, for anyone familiar with the intricacies of the situation in Lebanon to say this...would be an outright lie. My point in my post about Lebanon and the PLO to "Informal logic" is that he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about if he perceives that it's an "exception" for Lebanese to hate..yes outright HATE..Palestinians.
He also attribituted the cause of the war TO israel, which can only be stated as OPINION not as fact. Many here need to get a grasp on the difference between OPINION and fact. From the Wikepedia link (and again, I have problems using Wikepedia as a source,or any publicly editable source for that matter).

Ok, Kat - I have three questions for you regarding the above post:

1. What are the intricacies of the situation in Lebanon - how do YOU know about them and where can I find unbiased information about this issue?

2. Show me proof that all Lebanese (without exception) 'outright HATE' Palestinians. Is this your opinion, or do you have proof? If you have a credible source of information to point me to, I will gladly read it and evaluate its trustworthiness.

3. What is your problem with the information cited on Wikepedia (other than that you happen not to agree with it)? Could you please clearly state what is incorrect/not credible about that source of information? Be specific.

kat said:
I'm finding the difference in the tone used with Bilal and that used with Yonoz to be another great indicator of the bigotry so many of the active posters in the Political forum have.

Well, you pointed out that we must distinguish between fact and opinion. It is your opinion that people who disagree with Yonoz are bigoted; it is my opinion that people who take that viewpoint are bigoted. Who of us is more correct? Is this question worth pursuing, do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
alexandra said:
2. Show me proof that it all Lebanese (without exception) 'outright HATE' Palestinians. Is this your opinion, or do you have proof? If you have a credible source of information to point me to, I will gladly read it and evaluate its trustworthiness.
I don't have time for a thorough reply at the moment. I will reply in length later this weekend. BUT, for the moment...I would like you to quote me where I said "All Lebanese" (without exception)". ? PLease, quote me..because I don't remember saying that at any time. Nor can I imagine saying that.

Well, you pointed out that we must distinguish between fact and opinion. It is your opinion that people who disagree with Yonoz are bigoted; it is my opinion that people who take that viewpoint are bigoted. Who of us is more correct? Is this question worth pursuing, do you think?
Actually, I don't think I said people who disagree with Yonoz are bigoted...please quote me if I did. Cause I can't imagine that I would ever consider disagreeing to be bigotry.

Dear Kat,

Lebanon demography from CIAsite :

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/le.html

Lebanon

Religions:
Muslim 59.7% (Shi'a, Sunni, Druze, Isma'ilite, Alawite or Nusayri), Christian 39% (Maronite Catholic, Melkite Catholic, Armenian Orthodox, Syrian Catholic, Armenian Catholic, Roman Catholic, Protestant), other 1.3%
note: seventeen religious sects recognized

Palestinian Had troubles only with extreme right wing of Maronite Christian.
Maronite Lebansee are less than 20% of total population . Unfortunately, the extremists Maronite are racist also against the rest of Lebanese including Roman Orthodox and Catholic Christian.

Palestinian have strong relations with Muslims Lebanese (Sunni, Shia, Duruz ….etc) , Roman orthodox, Catholic Orthodox and Armenian.
Additionally, there are many Maronite support Palestine than any other people, especially the left wing. Just examples: Elias Khoury, George Saada, Jozef Samaha , Marcel Khalifa, Julia Butrus , Suliman Frenjiah …

The Palestinian treated badly in Lebanon, because the racist right wing Maronite wanted them to live in isolated Ghetto , so they can not mix with Lebanese or get the nationality.They had similar idea of Zionism by creating ‘’Maronite Ghetto’’ in Lebanon.

kat said:
You know, a lot of the stuff you post doesn't even pass the giggle test. A very large percentage of Lebanese are not PRO-Palestinian. In fact, the Palestinians in Lebanon are treated worse then those in Palestine and have less rights then Arabs in the Palestine AND Israel. In fact, a very large percentage of Lebanese are of the Christian Faith and VERY anti-Muslim and hold very strong feelings against the PLO in part due to their massacre of the Christian people.

kat said:
I don't have time for a thorough reply at the moment. I will reply in length later this weekend. BUT, for the moment...I would like you to quote me where I said "All Lebanese" (without exception)". ? PLease, quote me..because I don't remember saying that at any time. Nor can I imagine saying that. Actually, I don't think I said people who disagree with Yonoz are bigoted...please quote me if I did. Cause I can't imagine that I would ever consider disagreeing to be bigotry.

Ok, Kat - please don't play word games with me. Here you go, the quotes you are demanding...

kat said:
My point in my post about Lebanon and the PLO to "Informal logic" is that he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about if he perceives that it's an "exception" for Lebanese to hate..yes outright HATE..Palestinians.

Also, I want to welcome Yonoz to this thread and to this forum. I'm finding the difference in the tone used with Bilal and that used with Yonoz to be another great indicator of the bigotry so many of the active posters in the Political forum have.

In effect, you are saying that it's NOT an exception for Lebanese people to hate Palestinian people, and you definitely specifically wrote that different tones used (which, anyway, you have not substantiated - plenty of people have addressed the issue in quite neutral tones) indicate bigotry.

Victims of Civil war is another issue, they are from 140000 to 170000 within 15 years. The topic is only about victims of Israeli invasion for 6 months.

Israel murdered civilians in 6 months of its invasion to Lebanon more than all Jews victims (militants and civilians) in one century.

Yonoz said:
Looking into that first site you linked to was enough - it said "during invasion". What you seem to forget is that prior to and during the invasion there was already an atrocious civil war. Attributing all casualties in Lebanon to the fault of Israel is a little out of the envelope IMO.

Dear Kat,
I understand your situation, and I know that your husband is Maronite Lebanese .

If Arab hate the Palestinian, so why the decided to fight with them for decades? Why they do not receive the Israeli by kisses and roses because they destroyed the Palestinian? Why there a lot of anger from USA in Arab world because they responsible about Palestinian tragedy?

I visited many Arab countries, I agree that security men scare from me because they think that Palestinian are danger on their dictators, while normal Arab people cry when they hear the word ‘’Palestine’’.

Concerning Lebanon,

You already said that Christian Lebanese are anti Muslims … this is incorrect. during the civil war , both Lebnese left wing and Syrian social party were under Maronite leadership. Both groups were fighting with PLO against the right Maronite wing.

Emil Lahoud who is Maronite Lebanese and president is big supporter of Palestine. Also Sulieman Frenjiah , who is from the leaders of Maronite is anti Israel and pro Palestine. Even El Ktaed new leadership , Karim Pakradouni (right wing), became supporter of Palestine and Syria.

Here are links about very well known Lebanese Maronite heros and artists who supports Palestine (Obviously, most of Muslims, Orthodox, catholic, Duruz and Armenian support Palestine):

- Suha Beshara

http://www.lebwa.org/life/becharas.php

Beshara attempted the assassination of Antoine Lahad by opening fire on him in his house. He was seriously wounded in the shoulder and chest. (General Antoine Lahad: Leader of South Lebanon Army. he is agent of Israel, he working in nightclub in Tel Aviv now. )

- Marcel Khalifa

He is the most popular singer in Arab world. He is the voice of Palestine.
http://www.marcelkhalife.com/

-Julia Butrus

One of most popular Maronite singers. She also the voice of Palestine in Arab world.
http://www.julia-boutros.com/

- Elias Khouri

This good link show the opinion of Maronite Lebanese thinker from Left wing about the conflict in his country:

http://www.lcps-lebanon.org/pub/breview/br5/khourybr5.html

Elias Khouri is one of greatest Arab artists. He is writer of many movies concerning the Palestinian catastrophe.

As I know most of well known characters who support Palestine in this conflict are Maronite Lebanese, so please no need to generalize even about Maronite.

There is pro Palestine Maronite and there are anti Palestine Maronites as any community in the world. While the rest of Lebanese, in general, are supporters of Palestine.

kat said:
I wonder if Bilal can answer why Arab countries have been so hostile to Palestinians? (Why is this? Hint: It has a little something to do with the PLO)

kat said:
...My point in my post about Lebanon and the PLO to "Informal logic" is that he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about if he perceives that it's an "exception" for Lebanese to hate..yes outright HATE..Palestinians..
This is the kind of post to which I made earlier reference:
Informal Logic said:
…I apologize for not participating in this thread more, but I do not have as much tolerance as you do for the lack of 'objectivity' often by the same members who claim this is needed.
To say that Arabs tend to be pro-Palestinian, and Jews tend to be pro-Israeli is being clueless? Though already addressed in this thread, I did not bother to source this because this is such basic knowledge (or one would think so).
kat said:
...Many here need to get a grasp on the difference between OPINION and fact.
If you are going to attack others for posting opinion, it would be more credible if you provided reliable and neutral sources for your claims, as well as showing a more neutral tone and leaving insults at the door. But more importantly please do not misrepresent what I have said (it appears you were referring to me).
kat said:
...He also attribituted the cause of the war TO israel, which can only be stated as OPINION not as fact.
Informal Logic said:
Ultimately, it is the US that has created this mess, and the US that has helped to perpetuate this mess.
I have repeatedly made statements of this nature, and have made observations of all parties involved.
kat said:
...From the Wikepedia link (and again, I have problems using Wikepedia as a source,or any publicly editable source for that matter).
I am aware of disputes regarding Wikipedia. One can only try their best to provide sources as reliable and neutral as possible, and the largest consensus is that Wikipedia is one of these sources. As for editing, I view fellow PF members as ethical and trust that information is provided per academic guidelines.

russ_watters said:
...You keep using that word. I don't think you have the slightest clue what it means. I know you posted the definition before, but the way you've used it throughout the thread implies you are just utterly ignoring the definition.

Arafat was a leader. Terrorism, by definition, is not an act comitted directly against a leader, it is against a group of people (civilians) or their property. Furthermore, the Israelis weren't trying to scare him, they were trying to keep him on a leash - to disrupt his terrorist activities without killing him. Yes, I think they would have been perfectly justified in killing him, but politically it wasn't worth the backlash.
Are you sure it is not you who ignores definitions? While this may be a more common definition, it is not the only definition. For the last time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

NOTE:
The neutrality of this article is disputed.
Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page.
(For Kat, and the fact that Wikipedia indicates this, shows a sincere attempt at objectivity.)

Types [of definitions]
Nationalist
Religious
Left-wing
Right-wing
State
Islamist
Ethnic
Narcoterrorism
Domestic
Anarchist
Political
Eco-terrorism
Christian

Terrorism is a controversial term with multiple definitions. One definition means a violent action targetting civilians exclusively. Another definition is the use or threatened use of violence for the purpose of creating fear in order to achieve a political, religious, or ideological goal. Under the second definition, the targets of terrorist acts can be anyone, including civilians, government officials, military personnel, or people serving the interests of governments.

Through intimidation or by instilling fear, terrorism can be used as a form of blackmail to apply pressure on governments for goals the terrorists could not achieve by direct violence alone. Civilians are usually held to be "innocent" victims of terrorist violence if they are unarmed and not in uniform when it occurs. Intentional violence against civilians (noncombatants) is the type of action most widely condemned as "terrorism".

Guerrilla warfare is often confused with terrorism as a small force attempts to achieve large goals using organized acts of violence against a larger force. But in contrast to terrorism, these acts are against military targets, and civilian targets are minimized to increase public support. For this reason, it is generally considered to be a military strategy rather than terrorism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism#Who_is_a_terrorist.3F

According to one view, the difference in terminology is completely subjective: One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. The opposing view is that the two terms are distinct, and that an individual can be a terrorist, a freedom fighter, or both simultaneously.

Controversial definitions
On the surface, the popular definition of 'terrorism' represents a shift from previous means of defining an enemy, that is, from territorial or cultural disputes over ideology or religion, to the open acts of violence against the public. Many people dispute this definition however as ideological and simplistic, arguing instead that 'terrorism' is simply another in a long lists of enemy terms — that underneath any current conflict lies the same materialistic and ethnocentric reasons of which most past wars were based. The use of the terms terrorism and terrorist are politically weighted, and are often used for a polarizing effect, where 'terrorism' becomes simply a relativist term for the violence committed by an enemy, from the point of view of the attacked. Because of the political nature of some struggles, 'terrorism' can become identified as simply any violence committed against established institutions.

State combatants
The violence, i.e., terrorism, committed by state combatants is also considered more acceptable than that of the 'terrorist,' who by definition refuses to follow the self-serving laws of war, and hence cannot share in the acceptance given to establishment violence. Thus the term is impossible to apply by its rational definition — states who engage in warfare often do so outside of the laws of war and often carry out violence against civilian populations, yet rarely receive the label of 'terrorist.' The common public distinction between state violence and terrorism is based on a perception that terrorism targets noncombatants as a consistent policy, and therefore more irrational than state violence, which is assumed to be more considerate of human life, or at least does not consistently pursue unarmed civilian targets with the same zeal.

History does not always bear this out, however, and language reflects this: few would question that deliberate attacks on civilian refugee columns and camps is an attempt to induce terror in the enemy population and is therefore a terrorist act. As such the most accurate definition of "terrorism" must be based in its abstract nature as a term for characterising the violence of an enemy as conforming to an immoral code of conduct.
And if I recall correctly, in a previous thread you were also provided a Wikipedia quote by Naomi Chomsky illustrating that many view the US as using terrorist tactics as well.

Yonoz said:
That is your personal opinion, which I disagree with. Have you actually compared the amount of links and their targets or are you basing your comment on your 'gut-feeling'?
Since Bilal indicates his location is Palestine, and you indicate your's as Israel, I used you both as an example of predisposition. With reference to providing quotes and links for reliable sources, I was not referring to you. You have provided links as well, and many are from Wikipedia, so Kat would have more of an issue with reliability than I would. Likewise, welcome to PF.

This is a long thread with lengthy posts, but if anyone cares to they will see that Bilal provides quotes and links--often several--and more often than just responding with opinion, and when he does not source directly, his use of specifics such as dates, etc. indicates he is basing his response on more than just opinion. This is what I have observed, and all that I've meant to say with regard to objectivity.

alexandra said:
No, it's not. Here you go, a quote from Wikipedia (or perhaps Wikipedia writers are lying?):

"Outcome of the war
[edit]
Casualties
Estimations are that about 17,825 Arabs were killed during the war. There are different estimations about the portions of civilians killed. A Beirut newspaper An Nahar estimated that

17,825 killed during the invasion
Outside Beirut
Military personnel: 9,797 (PLO, Syria, etc.)
Civilians: 2,513
Beirut area: 5,515 (mil. + civ.)
[1] (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat3.htm#Lebanon)"

Here's the link if you're interested in verifying the information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Invasion_of_Lebanon#Outcome_of_the_war
Let me quote Bilal one more time:
Bilal said:
1982: He invaded Lebanon and murdered 20000 civilians
Can you tell the difference between Bilal's comment and what is written in the article?
Let us analyse this further: he is claiming the deaths of nearly 20000 people during the Israeli invasion as murder. This was during a war - do you believe all casualties in war are victims of murder? If so you have a very broad definition of murder that doesn't do justice to victims of real murder.
Bilal also claims deaths of 20000 civilians. Have a look at your post - it clearly says "Military personnel: 9,797 (PLO, Syria, etc.)" inside Beirut.
Last, Bilal claims all these deaths can be attributed to Sharon. The invasion was during the civil war in Lebanon, in which many factions fought each other. As I commented earlier, the Sabra and Shatila massacre, the largest massacre attributed to Israel, was actually performed by Christian Arab militias. You see, not all Lebanese deaths during the invasion are at the hands of Israelis, and definitely not Sharon.
So you can see how a comment such as this:
Bilal said:
1982: He invaded Lebanon and murdered 20000 civilians
is an ugly manipulation of facts at best, and an outright lie at worst?

alexandra said:
Do you know, Yonoz, for *poor* people, who have nothing much, houses and orchards ARE their lives!
You know, for both poor and rich people who may have nothing much or everything they could ask for, the lives of their children ARE their lives. Can you tell me how many ruined houses and destroyed orchards justify the bombing of a school bus packed with students?
I agree the destruction of houses and orchards is the wrong way to go, but I cannot ever understand those who justify the murder of innocent children with ill-treatment, no matter how much property they lost.

kat said:
Also, I want to welcome Yonoz to this thread and to this forum.
Thankyou.
kat said:
I'm finding the difference in the tone used with Bilal and that used with Yonoz to be another great indicator of the bigotry so many of the active posters in the Political forum have.
alexandra said:
kat and alexandra: please do not allow this to deteriorate into a personal matter. I understand it is hard to form a balanced view far away from the actual conflict due to the nature of modern media and popular trends. My aim is not to make friends and this is not a popularity contest. I am content with merely being allowed to explain my point of view, no matter how hard some find it to accept.

Bilal said:
If Arab hate the Palestinian, so why the decided to fight with them for decades?
Because Arab nations use Palestinians as a tool to weaken Israel. Can you get any figures on the amount of humanitarian aid given to the Palestinians by Arab countries? That is, aid other than training, weapons and munitions.
Bilal said:
I visited many Arab countries, I agree that security men scare from me because they think that Palestinian are danger on their dictators, while normal Arab people cry when they hear the word ‘’Palestine’’.
Why would they think Palestinians are dangerous? Didn't you "fight with them"?

Bilal said:
(General Antoine Lahad: Leader of South Lebanon Army. he is agent of Israel, he working in nightclub in Tel Aviv now. )
I see, if someone allies with the Palestinians they are sympathetic, whereas if someone allies with Israel he is an "agent".

You have shown so many examples of Palestinian supporters. Can you give any examples of Arab figures whome you do not consider "agents" that have raised serious objection to deaths of Israeli civilians?

Informal Logic said:
Since Bilal indicates his location is Palestine, and you indicate your's as Israel, I used you both as an example of predisposition. With reference to providing quotes and links for reliable sources, I was not referring to you. You have provided links as well, and many are from Wikipedia, so Kat would have more of an issue with reliability than I would.
I apologize then. Please make it clearer in the future when making making that sort of comment. I am rather defensive when posting here due to the serious accusations raised in the thread.
Informal Logic said:
Likewise, welcome to PF.
Thankyou.

Informal Logic said:
This is a long thread with lengthy posts, but if anyone cares to they will see that Bilal provides quotes and links--often several--and more often than just responding with opinion, and when he does not source directly, his use of specifics such as dates, etc. indicates he is basing his response on more than just opinion. This is what I have observed, and all that I've meant to say with regard to objectivity.
While on the surface it may seem thorough and well based, IMO his quotation of sources is selective and misleading. That is my own personal opinion and I do not think this subject is debatable, so I hope I haven't just shifted the topic.

Well, wikipedia's reliability is to be doubted at best, as I am sure Kat will attest to.. :) But that's not the only source though, they get those numbers from a newspaper from the 1980s, so again can it be trusted or who knows when that newspaper edition was published and again they say it's an estimation. These numbers are not set in stone, because the sites that I provided put the civilian deaths at more than 20000. It's so hard finding a reliable source with these things, I guess only God knows when it comes right down to it.

klusener said:
Well, wikipedia's reliability is to be doubted at best, as I am sure Kat will attest to.. :) But that's not the only source though, they get those numbers from a newspaper from the 1980s, so again can it be trusted or who knows when that newspaper edition was published and again they say it's an estimation. These numbers are not set in stone, because the sites that I provided put the civilian deaths at more than 20000. It's so hard finding a reliable source with these things, I guess only God knows when it comes right down to it.
It is also a matter of definition - because of the complexity of the participating forces and their alliances no one can say what can be attributed to the Israeli invasion and what is the result of the earlier stages of the civil war.
There were many accounts of young children participating in the fighting - among Israeli troops they were known as the "RPG boys" - because they often were young teenagers who were armed with an RPG launcher and few bombs. Since they were not trained, a lot of them were injured from the actual firing of the RPG which produces strong flames and a powerful recoil. Surely those should be counted as civilian casualties, but does it do justice to someone who had faced one of these boys to say "you killed another civilian?"

Yonoz said:
I agree the destruction of houses and orchards is the wrong way to go, but I cannot ever understand those who justify the murder of innocent children with ill-treatment, no matter how much property they lost.

Yonoz, I am glad we agree about the issue of the destruction of houses and orchards. I want to emphatically say, though, that I would never justify or support any sort of killing/torture/maiming of innocent children/civilians (no matter what their nationality) under any circumstances.

In this topic we are talking about a cycle of violence based on historical events, and the task of our analysis (as I see it) is to clarify exactly what has led to this situation, and what the key factors are that are contributing to its continuation right now. I think a proper understanding of the historical roots and key factors leading to a situation are essential if appropriate solutions are to be found. The questions are: "How did this situation arise?" and "What are the key factors leading to its continuation?" (and not all of these factors would be immediately obvious; they would be hidden under mountains of confusing propaganda). It is only once these matters are sorted out that a viable and appropriate solution can even begin to be formulated.

Yonoz said:
Thankyou.

kat and alexandra: please do not allow this to deteriorate into a personal matter. I understand it is hard to form a balanced view far away from the actual conflict due to the nature of modern media and popular trends. My aim is not to make friends and this is not a popularity contest. I am content with merely being allowed to explain my point of view, no matter how hard some find it to accept.

Quite correct, Yonoz. My apologies for reacting.

Yonoz said:

common, don't be childish ! we were talking about your army killing civilians AND destroying property !

alexandra said:
Yonoz, I am glad we agree about the issue of the destruction of houses and orchards. I want to emphatically say, though, that I would never justify or support any sort of killing/torture/maiming of innocent children/civilians (no matter what their nationality) under any circumstances.
I understand then that you too see the assymetry between the violence against Palestinians and violence against Israelis.
alexandra said:
In this topic we are talking about a cycle of violence based on historical events, and the task of our analysis (as I see it) is to clarify exactly what has led to this situation, and what the key factors are that are contributing to its continuation right now.
I would rather focus on what should be done to end this cycle but unfortunately the debate keeps returning to the justification of violence rather than how to end it.
alexandra said:
I think a proper understanding of the historical roots and key factors leading to a situation are essential if appropriate solutions are to be found.
To a certain extent. I, as well as a considerable portion of Israeli society, completely agree modern Palestinians are victims. However, that is just one side of the coin. It seems to me that the Palestinian society is not willing to look at its faults and role in creating this situation, or even see the matter from an Israeli perspective. Furthermore, they still widely support violence as a legitimate means of struggle.
I understand how it seems to a westerner watching their evening news and reading their morning papers - a modern country with highways and a regular army fighting a struggling nation that no one ever cared about. I also understand the Palestinian view - refugees displaced by a nation of mixed cultures and skin tones, backed by a strong international lobby with massive funds. However, I do not understand the use of violence against civilians and I further do not understand why it is still accepted, sometimes encouraged, by both Palestinians and westerners.
There are plenty of Israeli groups and individuals sympathetic to the Palestinians, even to the point of violent confrontation against the security forces. We lost a prime-minister to the struggle against our own extremists. In contrast, there have been no public challenges to the acceptance and use of violence in the Palestinian struggle.
Understandably, there is much sympathy to the victims of violence on the Palestinian side, even to the point of acceptance of the use of violence. However, it seems to be disregarded that Israelis elect their leadership, and that the use of violence against Israel (and Israel's efficient prevention of that violence by use of force) affects public opinion in Israel in a very negative manner - so, it is not only an unacceptable means, it is also detrimental to their cause (assuming their aim is a peaceful coexistence of two states).
alexandra said:
The questions are: "How did this situation arise?" and "What are the key factors leading to its continuation?" (and not all of these factors would be immediately obvious; they would be hidden under mountains of confusing propaganda). It is only once these matters are sorted out that a viable and appropriate solution can even begin to be formulated.
I think there can never be total agreement between the opposing sides as to the history of violence in the region. Of course, agreements of any kind between the two sides are important to the cause of ending the conflict. Nevertheless, IMO we should focus on what can be done (or what should not be done) here and now to end the cycle of violence. I am quite willing to discuss historical events but I do not think that it would sum up to anything crucial or substantialy constructive.
I think the use of the word "propaganda" is rather liberal. Naturally events that occurred during times of conflict, especially early ones, will have completely different descriptions on both sides. The causes for these events will disagreed upon even more. For example, what sort of serious, factuated response can I give to Bilal's claim that the native inhabitants of Palestine did not plant trees and conquer the desert because they "knew" it would be "harmful to the environment", which IMHO is a total load of crap? And this is not even a comment about the many alleged "massacres" and "murders" - some of those are even harder to disprove as any source presenting the Israeli account of things will be discarded as biased. Is there any conflict in modern history whose most intricate details are agreed upon by both sides? I see this re-writing of history as just another chapter in this conflict. It is only after the dust settles over this troubled land that both sides will be able to come to the most basic agreement on historical facts - and that will be in a while. Until then these types of debates will only end in deadlock, and are therefor of little value to those who truly want to bring about peaceful times.

stoned said:
common, don't be childish ! we were talking about your army killing civilians AND destroying property !
Would that justify blowing up schoolkids?

Yonoz said:
Would that justify blowing up schoolkids?

I can ask you exactly the same question. Is your army justified in killing school children ?

stoned said:
I can ask you exactly the same question. Is your army justified in killing school children ?
What event are you referring to?

http://palestinetimes.net/issue161/news.html

stoned said:
http://palestinetimes.net/issue161/news.html
There are several incidents mentioned on that page, which one are you referring to?

But yet, asking the same question is not answering the question. You still haven't said if you think any of this justifies Palestinians blowing up schoolchildren.

well... I provided Yonoz with example of Israeli soldier murdering palestinian school girl in a cold blood (she's not the only one), and I'm waiting what he has to say and would like to see example of palestinians killing on purpose jewish kids.
There were propably instances where jewish kids died in bombings, but whoever did that was mentally sick, however israeli officer killed her in cold blood with premeditation. Until this accident i never suspected Israeli army doing things like that, soldiers are highly trained people they know rules of war or do they ??

Four-apartments Building was bombed at 12 midnight, beacuse there are wanted man sleeping in ground apartment!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,762246,00.html

Israel faced searing international criticism yesterday after an airstrike which tore into a teeming neighbourhood of Gaza City, killing a Palestinian militant leader as well as nine children who were sleeping nearby.

The Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon had earlier hailed the assassination of the founder of the military wing of Hamas, Salah Shehada, as a "great success", despite the total death toll of 15.

The UN secretary general Kofi Annan urged Israel to halt such actions. "Israel has the legal and moral responsibility to take all measures to avoid the loss of innocent life; it clearly failed to do so in using a missile against an apartment building," a statement said

Again you just twist my words!

I said those settlers brought new trees (from their origin countries –mainly Europe) with them which consume a lot of water. These trees are not suitable in Middle East which suffers from water shortage …

Israel just steals the water of Syrian Golan heights (100%), South Lebanon (Wazani and Litani rivers), Jordan valley and West Bank (85%) to irrigate these trees.

There are no (real) desert in Palestine, we have dry land in the south with fertile soil , but no water resources. It is not wonderful job to steal the water of other nations and to irrigate these lands. It is appreciated if Israel uses its nuclear reactors to produce fresh water instead to plan how to annihilate ME or to prepare for Armageddon – nuclear winter.

There are a lot of desert areas in Australia, so why you did not go there and convert it to green land?

Yonoz said:
For example, what sort of serious, factuated response can I give to Bilal's claim that the native inhabitants of Palestine did not plant trees and conquer the desert because they "knew" it would be "harmful to the environment", which IMHO is a total load of crap?

I got these information from your link:

((Hours later, Palestinian hospital officials said 11 Palestinians were killed and nearly 100 injured Thursday during an Israeli operation near the Jabaliya refugee camp. ))

((However, the circumstances of the reported Palestinian casualties were not immediately clear. The Israeli army said it was checking reports that Israeli forces fired a tank shell into a crowd of unarmed Palestinians))

((At the time of the Haifa bombing, bus No. 37 was carrying many high school and college students on Mount Carmel in Haifa about 2 p.m. (7 a.m. ET), Assistant Police Commander Dani Kuffler said. ))

(("We condemn all attacks against civilians, including today's attack in Haifa," he said. "The attack will only serve to distract attention from the more than 150 Palestinian civilians killed by Israel over the last two months." ))

Yonoz said:
You know, for both poor and rich people who may have nothing much or everything they could ask for, the lives of their children ARE their lives. Can you tell me how many ruined houses and destroyed orchards justify the bombing of a school bus packed with students?

The problem that they count only Israeli victims and ignore the barbarism of the occupation army!

http://www.btselem.org/English/Statistics/Casualties.asp

Here information about the occupation crimes from the Israeli human right center. This is the official Israeli center of human rights and it is recognized by the Israeli government and the international organization.

Palestinian human right centers show worse statistics, but I would like to present what Israeli mentioned:

Fatalities
9.29.2000-4.20.2005 Occupied Territories Israel
Palestinians killed by Israeli security forces 3168 56
Palestinians killed by Israeli civilians 35
Israeli civilians killed by Palestinians 218 438
Israeli security force personnel killed by Palestinians 219 83
Foreign citizens killed by Palestinians 10 32
Foreign citizens killed by Israeli security forces 10
Palestinians killed by Palestinians 150
Additional data (included in previous table)Occupied Territories Israel
Palestinian minors killed by Israeli security forces 642 1
Israeli minors killed by Palestinians 34 79
Palestinians killed during the course of an assasination 288
Palestinians who were the target of an assasination 181
Palestinians killed by Palestinians for suspected collaboration with Israel 111

(P.S: those Israeli civilians in Occupied Territories are ''militant settlers" , so I do not agree with the report to describe them as civilians. Additionally, most of the "Foreign citizens killed by Palestinians" are those who have dual nationality.)

From the previous statistics:
Israel killed 642 kids while Palestinian killed 79 kids.

Those Israeli kids who murdered in occupied land (34) are responsibility of Israeli government-their militant parents-Palestinian (who attacked them).
You can observe also that what Settlers (parent of those kids) murdered 35 Palestinian civilians.

This is documented Israeli official sources and I am sure the Palestinian human right sources double the numbers of Palestinian victims, but the truth will be somewhere between.

I said before, I am against murdering any human, and I do not believe in wars. I feel sad for victims from both sides …. But the problem, they count the Israeli victims (as American media do) and do not count the Palestinian …
This means they believe that Jews blood is superior to Palestinian blood.

Bilal said:
I said before, I am against murdering any human, and I do not believe in wars. I feel sad for victims from both sides …. But the problem, they count the Israeli victims (as American media do) and do not count the Palestinian …
This means they believe that Jews blood is superior to Palestinian blood.

Hey Bilal,
American media... that is something horrendous man ! I don't watch TV anymore otherwise I would commit crime throwing my TV out of my 9th floor window and injure someone. I also stopped reading our newspapers ,newspapers here are only good for their croosword puzzles,and weather synopsis the rest is pure garbage.
And now I have just internet thank God ! however sooner or later they will get to the internet and start censoring it

stoned said:
well... I provided Yonoz with example of Israeli soldier murdering palestinian school girl in a cold blood (she's not the only one), and I'm waiting what he has to say and would like to see example of palestinians killing on purpose jewish kids.
Now that I know which one of the incidents on that page you were referring to, I can answer your question. First I'll say IMO that girl's death was not justified. Now we can turn to the details of this case:
Most of the controversy in this matter was raised by the fact Iman al-Hams was shot over 20 times, not because she was initially shot. The shooter, the company's commanding officer, was put on trial for the illegal use of a weapon, obstruction of justice, conduct unbecoming an officer, and abuse of authority (the officer raised the subject after the incident in a talk with his troops). During this trial it was discovered some of the soldiers lied as part of an ongoing disobedience in the company (one of the prosecution's witnesses confessed to it in a dramatic moment during the trial). Because of his failure to control his troops and lack of leadership that officer was suspended.
Iman was shot in a clearly marked restricted zone, nowhere near her school (as a matter of fact, her school was in the opposite direction to the shooting from her house). These restricted zones surround Israeli settlements and bases so that passing-by civilian population will cannot be used as cover for attacks on them. They are marked and no one enters them. During my military service I saw some children and mentally ill adults enter these zones. On a few occassions we managed to spot someone observing them from a safe distance. In Iman's case, an observation post video shows a figure somewhere in the vicinity (some reports claim it is 50m away but you can never tell), which stays during the shooting and moves away later. In my case, we gathered it was a way of testing our defences, as we would not harm these individuals but would send a patrol to the area or fire at dead spots to get them to back away. By probing our responses in that way they could choose the best places sneak past our observations. This suspicion was confirmed by intelligence data. Sometimes these approaches would be twice or three times a day, moving in a linear pattern along the perimeter. In that particular case, the girl must have done something to make the soldiers think she was an immediate threat, such as walking directly towards them with a backpack, as they fired at her with intent to kill (IMO this is where a mistake was made). When considering the soldiers' actions, you should keep in mind the use of Palestinian children in suicide bombings and other types of violence. These http://www.operationsick.com/articles/20010515_arafatschildren.asp sometimes against the family's wishes, but sometimes http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?ClipMediaID=22380 .
Iman was initially shot from one of the posts, 70m away, and later from a closer range by that officer. It isn't clear which of the shootings killed her. She was carrying a backpack which she dropped after the first shot.

stoned said:
There were propably instances where jewish kids died in bombings, but whoever did that was mentally sick
I doubt it, but this violence is accepted and supported by the PA and by the Palestinian society, and there are no Palestinian movements or individuals even calling for this to change. In contrast, this event dominated Israeli discussions and media reports and editorials for weeks. I'm sure if you run a google search on the topic you'll find plenty of Israelis criticizing the IDF and persons involved this event.
stoned said:
however israeli officer killed her in cold blood with premeditation.
What makes you so certain of this? You read a short, unprofessional article on a blatant pro-Palestinian site and you think that qualifies you to make that judgement? It isn't even clear whether he killed her or the first shots from the post did. I agree it's an unnecessary death but you are taking this too far.
stoned said:
Until this accident i never suspected Israeli army doing things like that, soldiers are highly trained people they know rules of war or do they ??
This is not conventional warfare. As I showed, Palestinian terror organisations use children and teenagers to perform acts of violence. They http://www.operationsick.com/articles/20040325_pachildbomber.asp and as ways of probing Israeli defences. The IDF stopped a short practice of boobytrapping discovered ambush locations after a group of children with a handcart who were apparently sent into further prepare it activated the explosive. I have personaly seen children who had obviously no idea what they were doing try to storm a settlement with knives. In their backpacks we found rough sketches of the area and some pieces of cloth from the one of the youth-movements there. It was obvious someone else had put them up to it. In such horrible realities, telling who's a threat and who isn't is very difficult. If you were standing at the same post for several weeks and then one day a figure with a backpack started walking towards you in a restricted zone that no-one enters, you'd be singing a different song.

I would like to let you know I'll be away for the next 2 days.
I'm looking forward to resuming this discussion when I return.
Keep safe, everyone.