Importance of IC design/SemiConductor Physics in EE

In summary, knowledge of CMOS IC design and Semiconductor physics is useful but not necessary for a career in EE focused on signal processing and control with some RF/Electromagnetics courses. IC design is typically not a major part of this specialization and is more focused on coding in Verilog or VHDL. While understanding gate-level design is important for digital design, it is not essential for working in this field. Overall, a basic understanding of digital electronics is beneficial, but deep knowledge in IC design is not necessary for this specialization.
Crek
Hello, I was wondering how important is knowledge of CMOS IC design and Semiconductor physics for EE if you're not interested in working in that area?

In particular, I am focusing on signal processing, control with some RF/Electromagnetics courses.

My interest isn't in IC design and so I am thinking about not taking any classes in this area, will I be hurting myself career wise? Is IC design usually part of what people in my specialization do?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's useful, but almost zero people in IC design will design at the gate level. If you are an IC designer you work with verilog / VHDL or whatever and that's compiled down to a gate library. Gate libraries are very specialized and bound to the process the IC will be manufactured on.

If you want to design at the gate level then sure, but that's a very small field. Very cool stuff and I enjoyed learning it, I played with MAGIC and layout tools for some simple designs but that's not how it's done today.

What Guy says is true for digital design to a point but ever competent Verilog or VHDL coder will understand gate-level design quite well, but how you code a function has a big impact on how the synthesizer implements it.

However, EE is a broad field. If you don't intend to work on signal processing ASICs, it probably won't hurt you to not delve too deep into it. It would be good for your general education to at least be familiar with how digital electronics work in broad strokes.

Related to Importance of IC design/SemiConductor Physics in EE

1. What is the importance of IC design in electrical engineering?

The design of integrated circuits (ICs) is crucial in electrical engineering because it allows for the miniaturization and integration of complex electronic components onto a single chip. This not only reduces the size and cost of electronic devices, but also improves their performance and functionality.

2. How does semiconductor physics play a role in IC design?

Semiconductor physics is the foundation of IC design, as it involves the study of the behavior and properties of materials such as silicon, which are used to create the transistors and other components on a chip. Understanding semiconductor physics is essential for designing efficient and reliable ICs.

3. What impact does IC design have on modern technology?

The importance of IC design in modern technology cannot be overstated. It has enabled the development of advanced electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and medical equipment. IC design also plays a critical role in emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, internet of things, and renewable energy.

4. How does IC design contribute to the advancement of the electronics industry?

IC design is a driving force behind the constant advancement of the electronics industry. As new technologies and applications emerge, there is a growing demand for more powerful, energy-efficient, and cost-effective ICs. This leads to continuous innovation and improvement in the field of IC design.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in IC design/semiconductor physics?

A career in IC design or semiconductor physics requires a strong foundation in electrical engineering, as well as a deep understanding of semiconductor physics principles. Other essential skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, and the ability to work with complex computer-aided design (CAD) software. Continuous learning and staying updated on industry advancements are also crucial for success in this field.