Imaginary Action Friends: Ann. Phys. & Textbook for Tunneling

• Thread starter plxmny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary, the standard way to discuss tunneling is through the use of imaginary action, which is described by Feynman's path integral formalism. The reference cited for this technique is J.S. Langer, Annals of Physics 1967. To learn more about this technique, one can acquire the textbook "Landau Lifshitz Non-Relativistic Quantum Mechanics". The paper mentioned has also been re-published in 2000.
plxmny
Friends,

I am reading that the standard way to discuss tunneling is via imaginary action.
The reference cited is J.S. Langer, Ann. Phys. 1967.

(1) What is the full name of Ann. Phys. so I can look up this paper?
(2) What textbook can I acquire to learn this technique?

Physics news on Phys.org
plxmny said:
Friends,

I am reading that the standard way to discuss tunneling is via imaginary action.
The reference cited is J.S. Langer, Ann. Phys. 1967.

(1) What is the full name of Ann. Phys. so I can look up this paper?
(2) What textbook can I acquire to learn this technique?

Annals of Physics

Thank you - I checked the local university library but they don't have back to 1967 without jumping through hoops. I'll try another tomorrow.

In the meantime I hope someone can shed some light on this imaginary action technique for me.

I tried posting the same query to crackpot-land (google) so we'll see.

The imaginary action technique might be a fancy term to describe Feynman's path integral formalism, whose central equation is

[tex]\langle x_b|e^{-i \hat{H} t/\hbar}|x_a\rangle=\int\mathcal{D}x(t)\,e^{i S[x(t)]/\hbar}\,,[/tex]​

where the LHS is the amplitude for a particle to travel (or tunnel) from position [itex]x_a[/itex] to [itex]x_b[/itex]. The imaginary action might be the quantity in the exponent in the RHS.

I think that you are correct. I also heard that landau lifschitz nrqm has an exposition of the technique. i am trying to get a copy now to check.

Also I just learned that the cited reference was re-published in 2000 so I might have some luck there. I will let you all know.

kisses,
plxmny

Related to Imaginary Action Friends: Ann. Phys. & Textbook for Tunneling

1. What is the purpose of the book "Imaginary Action Friends: Ann. Phys. & Textbook for Tunneling"?

The book is a guide for understanding the concept of imaginary action friends and their role in tunneling phenomena in physics.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at physics students, researchers, and professionals who are interested in learning about imaginary action friends and their applications in tunneling.

3. What are imaginary action friends?

Imaginary action friends are a theoretical construct used in physics to describe the behavior of particles during tunneling. They are virtual particles that exist for a very short period of time and play a crucial role in the tunneling process.

4. What is tunneling?

Tunneling is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is made possible by the uncertainty principle and the presence of imaginary action friends.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding imaginary action friends and tunneling?

Understanding imaginary action friends and tunneling is crucial in various fields of physics, including particle physics, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. It also has practical applications in technologies such as scanning tunneling microscopes and tunneling diodes.