I'm having trouble with this proof

• Thread starter 159753x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, Leo is having trouble completing a proof for homework and asks for help from others. He starts by trying to simplify the cosine series and ends up getting close to sin(2nθ) / 2 sin θ. However, he needs to show more details to be sure his result is correct.
159753x
I'm having trouble completing this proof for homework.

1. Homework Statement

Prove that cos θ + cos 3θ + cos 5θ + ... + cos (2n-1)θ = (sin 2nθ)/(2 sin θ).
Prove that sin θ + sin 3θ + sin 5θ + ... + sin (2n-1)θ = (sin nθ)^2/(sin θ).

Use Euler's formula and the geometric progression formula.

Homework Equations

Euler's formula is
c9f2055dadfb49853eff822a453d9ceb.png
The geometric progression formula is
f827ba026ce248a9d33ef69e89ec68de.png
, where a is the first term and r is the constant that each term is multiplied by to get the next term.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've tried a number of ways, none of which I have been able to simplify. Can anybody who can see the right way to complete this proof perhaps give me some direction? For example, what are the starting points for a and r? I feel like I have tried everything I can think of, but I couldn't simplify it.

How can I do the geometric progression formula if the series isn't exponential? I know I can use Euler's formula to transfer the cosines to exponentials, but how can I do this is the series consists only of cosines? How can I use the formula without the i sin(θ) terms? It seems that I can't substitute for the formula then... Hmm...

If anybody knows any tricks or guidance, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

- Leo

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would try mathematical induction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Admittedly I haven't completed the problem before saying this, but my first line of attack would be to use Taylor series expansions for sin and cos.

Hint:
[tex]
e^{ix} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{i^n x^n}{n!} = 1 + ix - \frac{x^2}{2} - i\frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} + i\frac{x^5}{5!} ... = \left(1 - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^4}{4!} ... \right) + i \left( x-\frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!} ... \right)[/tex]

Why not just convert the two series to a sum of exponentials using the Euler formula, then applying the geometric series formula to each?
Alternatively - take the first and add i times the second, so the combined series is now a sum of exponentials, then apply the geometric series formula... simplify and see what falls out.

Hint: ##\cos\theta = \text{real part of }e^{i\theta}## and ##\cos 3\theta = \text{real part of }e^{i3\theta}##, so ##\cos \theta + \cos 3\theta = \text{real part of }(e^{i\theta} + e^{3i\theta})##.

Thanks to all for the response. I ended up taking the exponential series and dividing it into two parts. One corresponds to e^+iθ and the other corresponds to e^-iθ. I can then easily take these and use the geometric progression formula. At the end of the day, I get REALLY close... I end up getting sin(4n+2)θ / 2 sin θ.

Any way I can simplify this to sin(2nθ) / 2 sin θ?

Please show your work.

EDIT: in the second picture, the exponentials in the denominator should both have θ.

Related to I'm having trouble with this proof

1. How can I simplify this proof?

One way to simplify a proof is to break it down into smaller steps. Identify any assumptions or premises and work with them one at a time. You can also try using different techniques or approaches, such as proof by contradiction or proof by induction.

2. What if I can't figure out the next step in the proof?

If you are stuck on a particular step in the proof, try going back to the definitions and axioms involved. You can also try working backwards from the conclusion, or consulting with other resources such as textbooks or colleagues for guidance.

3. How do I know if my proof is correct?

A proof is considered correct if it follows logical reasoning and is backed up by valid definitions, axioms, and previously established theorems. It should also be clear and concise, with each step leading logically to the next.

4. What should I do if I find a mistake in my proof?

If you discover a mistake in your proof, don't panic. Take a step back and carefully examine each step to identify where the error occurred. Then, make the necessary corrections and continue with the rest of the proof.

5. Can I use a different approach to prove the same statement?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to approach a proof. It's always a good idea to try different approaches and techniques to see which one works best for a particular statement. However, make sure to follow the rules of logic and avoid circular reasoning or fallacies in your proof.