Simplifying and Expanding Integration Using the Chain Rule

• Thread starter stephen8686
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the answer to the question is that you can simplify and expand the two formulas given in the book by saying ∫ f(g(x)) dx = F(g(x))/g'(x).
stephen8686

Homework Statement

∫ sec2 (7-3θ) dθ

Homework Equations

∫ cos(kx+b)dx= ((sin(kx+b))/k)+C
∫ sin (kx+b)dx=-cos "
(k and b are constants)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the book is: ∫ -1/3(tan(7-3x))+C. I assume by x they meant θ.
The book only gave the two formulas above for solving this, but my question is can these by simplified and expanded by saying ∫ f(g(x)) dx = F(g(x))/g'(x)? Because I looked online for a rule like this and found nothing. If this involves U-substitution or something of the sort, I couldn't find that in the textbook. Also, if you have any really good textbooks or sources for learning integration I don't like my textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
stephen8686 said:

Homework Statement

∫ sec2 (7-3θ) dθ

Homework Equations

∫ sin (kx+b)dx=-cos "
(k and b are constants)

The book only gave the two formulas above for solving this, but my question is can these by simplified and expanded by saying ∫ f(g(x)) dx = F(g(x))/g'(x)? Because I looked online for a rule like this and found nothing. If this involves U-substitution or something of the sort, I couldn't find that in the textbook. Also, if you have any really good textbooks or sources for learning integration I don't like my textbook.
What is the derivative of ##\ \tan(7-3\theta) \ ## ?

stephen8686 said:

Homework Statement

∫ sec2 (7-3θ) dθ

Homework Equations

∫ sin (kx+b)dx=-cos "
(k and b are constants)

Instead of going off on wild goose chases and inventing spurious integration rules, refresh your knowledge of the derivatives of trig functions:

http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/diff/der03/der03.html

Two ways to this problem.

You can prove the integral of the basic sec^2(x) or you can use the following fact. the derivative of tan(x) is sec^2(x). This should be in your book, right after they prove it.

∫ f(g(x)) dx = F(g(x))/g'(x)
In this case f(x)=sec^2 (x) and g(x)= 7-3x (or θ, doesn't matter)
So F(g(x))=tan(7-3x) because ∫sec^2 (x) dx = tan x
That would be divided by only g'. f is not in the denominator, it is just d/dx (7-3x) = -3. That is on the bottom. I don't use derivatives of trig functions

I'm just saying that this: ∫ f(g(x)) dx = F(g(x))/g'(x), gave me the right answer here, but I don't want to use it unless I know that it will always work when integrating composite functions.

I'm not trying to prove trig identities. I am taking ∫ sec^2(x)=tan x to be a given. The thing is that there is a function inside of the sec^2(x) function, which I have named g. Putting this function inside of the trig function creates a composite function which can't be integrated by only integrating the outer function (the trig identity).

stephen8686 said:
I'm not trying to prove trig identities. I am taking ∫ sec^2(x)=tan x to be a given. The thing is that there is a function inside of the sec^2(x) function, which I have named g. Putting this function inside of the trig function creates a composite function which can't be integrated by only integrating the outer function (the trig identity).
You're making this too complicated.

The basic integral is ∫ sec2(u) du = tan (u) + C

Now, if your particular integral does not have a simple u as the argument of the secant function, you can use u-substitution to simplify things.

Your particular argument is u = (7 - 3x). You should be able to calculate du very easily, do a little algebra, and obtain the correct result. :wink:

thank you, and I found exactly what I was looking for on wikipedia under "leibniz's notation":
0de6e52115924b26287b83b2570f1dd4.png

Would have made things so much simpler to put this in the textbook instead of arbitrary sin and cos integrals.

stephen8686 said:

Homework Statement

∫ sec2 (7-3θ) dθ

Homework Equations

∫ sin (kx+b)dx=-cos "
(k and b are constants)

[tex] \int f(g(x) \, dx = \frac{F(g(x))}{g'(x)} \Longleftarrow \text{FALSE!} [/tex]
at least if you mean that ##F## is the antiderivative of ##f##. For one thing, differentiation of ##F(g(x))/g'(x)## does not give back ##f(g(x))##. For another thing it is easy to give counterexamples. For example, take ##f(y) = \sqrt{y}## and ##g(x) = x^2 + 1##., so that ##f(g(x)) = \sqrt{x^2+1}##. Then, we have ##F(y) = (2/3) y^{3/2}##, so
[tex] F(g(x))/g'(x) = \frac{1}{3x} (x^2+1)^{3/2}, [/tex]
but
[tex] \int \sqrt{x^2+1} \, dx = \frac{1}{2} x \sqrt{x^2+1} + \frac{1}{2} \, \text{arcsinh}(x) + \text{const.} [/tex]

You have already been advised to not try making up you own, personal, integration rules, because if you are not an expert you are almost guaranteed to get it wrong.

You say you do not like your textbook. Well, buy a cheap, used copy of another, or go to the library and check out an alternative. Or, do the modern equivalent of going to the library, and download one of the many free calculus textbooks available on-line.

stephen8686 said:

Homework Statement

∫ sec2 (7-3θ) dθ

Homework Equations

∫ sin (kx+b)dx=-cos "
(k and b are constants)

you are kind of right
∫ f(g(x))dx = ∫ { f(u)du/g'(x) } taking g(x)=u; [note:g'(x)is still inside the integral to be evaluated]
now this integral is equal to F(g(x))/g'(x) (assuming ∫f(x)dx=F(x) ) only if g(x) is a linear function ie g(x)=ax+b a≠0;
now g'(x)=a (a constant which can be taken out of the integral woohoo!)
this gives us ∫ { f(u)du/g'(x) } =(1/a)*∫f(u)du= F(g(x))/g'(x) [i now remind you again that g must be a linear function only]
now try out this integral just for fun
∫x sin(3x^2)dx (hint take 3x^2 as some other variable t)

2nafish117

Likes stephen8686
You could also use u-substitution to better simplify the integral for yourself before arriving at the answer.

2nafish117 said:
you are kind of right
∫ f(g(x))dx = ∫ { f(u)du/g'(x) } taking g(x)=u; [note:g'(x)is still inside the integral to be evaluated]
now this integral is equal to F(g(x))/g'(x) (assuming ∫f(x)dx=F(x) ) only if g(x) is a linear function ie g(x)=ax+b a≠0;
now g'(x)=a (a constant which can be taken out of the integral woohoo!)
this gives us ∫ { f(u)du/g'(x) } =(1/a)*∫f(u)du= F(g(x))/g'(x) [i now remind you again that g must be a linear function only]
now try out this integral just for fun
∫x sin(3x^2)dx (hint take 3x^2 as some other variable t)

2nafish117
Thank you so much. This really helps.I took ∫x sin(3x^2)dx and got -cos(3x^2)/6+C. I checked this on an online integral calculator. Thanks again!

Related to Simplifying and Expanding Integration Using the Chain Rule

1. What is basic integration?

Basic integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve or the integral of a function. It is used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How do I solve a basic integration question?

To solve a basic integration question, you need to first identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, you can use integration rules and techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to find the solution.

3. What are some common integration rules?

Some common integration rules include the power rule, the constant multiple rule, and the sum and difference rule. These rules help simplify the process of solving integration problems.

4. Why is basic integration important in science?

Basic integration is important in science because it allows us to model and solve real-world problems involving rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and growth. It is also used in many scientific fields to analyze data and make predictions.

5. Can basic integration be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, basic integration can be used in fields such as economics, finance, and statistics. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has applications in various areas of study.