I'm Great at Theory but Suck at Application? Am I cut out for EE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of a freshman EE and Math dual major with circuit building in lab, despite excelling in theory and other math and physics courses. The individual questions if they are cut out for EE or if they are just being paranoid. The conversation also mentions the importance of both theory and practical skills in the field of EE.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
This is a question I have always wanted to ask but was too nervous to.

I am currently a EE and Math dual major at an engineering university. I really like EE and thoroughly enjoy the subject and the physics behind it. However, I noticed during lab I tend to struggle more than the other students.

It's not that I don't enjoy lab, I just have a hard time building circuits and visualizing "this wire carries current here which then goes here" and so on. When I understand it I find circuits lots of fun, and I can solve them relatively easily. I usually finish the lab on time and understand it, I feel like I have a harder time with it than most students.

I have noticed, however, I am great in theory. I'm only a freshman and I have taken Calculus I-III and linear algebra and I am ODE's right now. I know more math than most freshman, so I can relate to the theory a lot more than they can. I am also in Physics II right now and I have an A without a problem. I also really enjoy that class and I like the physics point of view of EE.

So my question is, am I cut for EE or am I just being paranoid? How long does it take to get used to things like circuit building? I like it, it's just harder for me than most people. What should I do?

I know this is pretty long but I thank you for reading and I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
There was an old story of a philosopher taking a boat across the river. He asks the boatman if he knows any philosophy and the boatman says no. The philosopher goes to say it's so wonderful then you've lost half a life by not learning it.

Just then a storm appears and the boat is in jeopardy of sinking and the boatman asks the philosopher do you know how to swim...?

In EE it's critical to know both things because once you design a circuit then you might have to test it and that's where the details get in the way of theory complicating things dramatically.

If you work as a chip designer then theory and software tools are more important for the job. Other engineers will take over the manufacture and rest of the chips you design...

Related to I'm Great at Theory but Suck at Application? Am I cut out for EE?

What is the difference between theory and application in EE?

Theory in EE refers to the understanding of principles, concepts, and laws that govern the field. It involves studying mathematical equations, circuit diagrams, and theories behind different phenomena. Application, on the other hand, involves using this knowledge to design, build, and troubleshoot electrical systems and devices.

Why do some people excel at theory but struggle with application in EE?

There can be various reasons for this. Some people may have a strong theoretical foundation but lack practical experience. Others may struggle with translating theoretical concepts into real-world scenarios. It could also be a matter of personal strengths and interests, as some individuals may naturally have stronger theoretical or practical skills.

Is it necessary to be good at both theory and application to be successful in EE?

While having a balance of both theoretical and practical skills is ideal, it is not a requirement for success in EE. Some individuals may excel in one area over the other, but can still have successful careers in the field. However, having a strong understanding of both theory and application can lead to a more well-rounded and versatile engineer.

Can someone who struggles with application in EE improve their skills?

Yes, practice and hands-on experience can improve one's skills in application. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from experienced engineers, take courses or workshops, and actively engage in problem-solving exercises. It is important to not get discouraged and to continue learning and practicing.

Are there alternative career paths in EE for those who struggle with application?

Yes, there are alternative career paths within the field of EE that may focus more on theory, research, or development. These could include roles in academia, research and development, or technical writing. It is important to explore different options and find a career path that aligns with one's strengths and interests.