If we restarted the Universe n Times from T=0......

In summary: Yes I am aware of this, all possibities occur in a branching multiverse. Do you know objectively where every subatomic particle within a superposition will be located within our Universe before measurement? No, you don't, because we only know the probablity distribution.What I meant was if it appears to be probabilistic, and experimentation yields results that lend credence to this. Perhaps it actually is indeterministic...rather than an infinite number of branching worlds with copies of everyone except one photon travels...a little to the right.I understand what you meant, and I still stand by my opinion that it doesn't necessarily apply in this case.
Hybrid
Would it always be identical?
Would it ever be identical?

Essentially with the current state of physics and taking quantum fluctuations into consideration, would it always be the same?

Is there motion at T=0?Another question:

If we restarted the Universe from the big bang and let it play out in accordance with Bohmian mechanics(or any other deterministic interpretation), would it then follow that everything would be exactly the same as it is now?
Or would it be different?

Apologies for the philosophical questions, but I'm wondering what modern physics has for an answer for this question specifically, and also what the majority of you think.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess - quantum fluctuations would make things different.

Likes Hybrid
Assuming you prepare the intial state in exactly the same way (no matter what exactly that means), it will depend on your favorite interpretation of quantum mechanics. In deterministic interpretations, it will be the same, in nondeterministic interpretations it will not (probably).

Hybrid said:
Is there motion at T=0?
I don't think that question is well-defined.

Likes akashik_rekords, DrewD, Hybrid and 1 other person
Well quantum fluctuations cause reality time field to disapparate. My best guess.

Endan Rarity said:
Well quantum fluctuations cause reality time field to disapparate. My best guess.
Uh ... what is a "reality time field"?

Likes Phynos
In MWI it will be the same.

tzimie said:
In MWI it will be the same.

Well MWI says nothing about the probability distribution of the evolution of the wave function in our own Universe. Just that all the possibilities within superposition do actually happen, just in other worlds.

So who's to say that each individual Universe isn't probabilistic(as quantum mechanics demonstrates), with all the possibilities eventually being actualized somewhere.

Last edited:
Hybrid said:
Well MWI says nothing about the probability distribution of the evolution of the wave function in our own Universe. Just that all the possibilities within superposition do actually happen, just in other worlds.
No, MWI gives you the amplitudes as well. In MWI that's all that exists. Same amplitudes => same universe.
Hybrid said:
So who's to say that each individual Universe isn't probabilistic(as quantum mechanics demonstrates)
Quantum mechanics demonstrates that some things appear indeterministic to observers that are part of the universe. That's perfectly compatible with a deterministic universe with MWI.

mfb said:
No, MWI gives you the amplitudes as well. In MWI that's all that exists. Same amplitudes => same universe.

So you can predict with 100% certainty the outcome of every wave function collapse?

mfb said:
Quantum mechanics demonstrates that some things appear indeterministic to observers that are part of the universe.

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck...:wink:

Hybrid said:
So you can predict with 100% certainty the outcome of every wave function collapse?
There is no wave function collapse in MWI.
If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and looks like a duck...:wink:
So every object you observe at very dim light is black or grey just because you are unable to see its color?

Likes nikkkom
mfb said:
There is no wave function collapse in MWI.

Yes I am aware of this, all possibities occur in a branching multiverse. Do you know objectively where every subatomic particle within a superposition will be located within our Universe before measurement? Do you know where it will end up, and what we will observe in our Universe, before measuring? No, you don't, because we only know the probablity distribution.

mfb said:
So every object you observe at very dim light is black or grey just because you are unable to see its color?

No it is an old metaphor. What I meant was if it appears to be probablistic, and experimentation yields results that lend credence to this. Perhaps it actually is indeterministic...rather than an infinite number of branching worlds with copies of everyone except one photon travels...a little to the right. :smile:

Last edited:
Hybrid said:
Do you know objectively where every subatomic particle within a superposition will be located within our Universe before measurement?
With infinite computing power, sure.
Hybrid said:
Do you know where it will end up, and what we will observe in our Universe, before measuring?
There is no such thing as "our universe", unless you mean the full universe with all worlds. Yes we can know where it will end up in this full universe.
Hybrid said:
No it is an old metaphor.
I know, and it is not applicable at all.

mfb said:
With infinite computing power, sure.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this?

mfb said:
There is no such thing as "our universe", unless you mean the full universe with all worlds. Yes we can know where it will end up in this full universe.

This assumes the MWI is correct, and let me redefine what I had said and substitute "our universe" with "our world".
mfb said:
I know, and it is not applicable at all.

That's a subjective statement in my humble opinion, and I feel as though what I wrote above holds up. However I can see why you would say that it doesn't apply here.

Hybrid said:
What I meant was if it appears to be probabilistic, and experimentation yields results that lend credence to this. Perhaps it actually is indeterministic...rather than an infinite number of branching worlds with copies of everyone except one photon travels...a little to the right.

Thanks for the interesting back and forth so far. What main reasons do you have for taking the MWI view, other than determinism, and perhaps getting rid of the wave function speculation?
How do you derive the born rule/probability with MWI?

Edited for clarification

Last edited:
Hybrid said:
Could you elaborate a bit more on this?
I don't know what would be left to elaborate. If you know the laws of physics, if they are deterministic, and know the initial state exactly, you can predict the evolution of the system. That is the definition of deterministic.
Hybrid said:
This assumes the MWI is correct
No, the whole discussion is in the context of MWI.
Also, we are talking about interpretations. "correct" is not a meaningful concept for interpretations. If I say "this tree is tall" and you say "it is small", who is correct? There is no objective definition of large and small - both are interpretations of "the tree has a height of 5 meters".
Hybrid said:
What main reasons do you have for taking the MWI view
tzimie and you started a discussion about MWI, I joined.
Hybrid said:
How do you derive the born rule/probability with MWI?
This is beyond the scope of this thread. We have multiple threads about the MWI, you can check those.

Likes nikkkom
mfb said:
I don't know what would be left to elaborate. If you know the laws of physics, if they are deterministic, and know the initial state exactly, you can predict the evolution of the system. That is the definition of deterministic.
No, the whole discussion is in the context of MWI.
Also, we are talking about interpretations. "correct" is not a meaningful concept for interpretations. If I say "this tree is tall" and you say "it is small", who is correct? There is no objective definition of large and small - both are interpretations of "the tree has a height of 5 meters".
tzimie and you started a discussion about MWI, I joined.
This is beyond the scope of this thread. We have multiple threads about the MWI, you can check those.

What is your personally preferred interpretation of quantum mechanics?

Do you feel as though the Universe is deterministic or indeterminate?

Edit:
mfb said:

Also I wanted to reiterate that by "universe" I had meant the MWI meaning of the word "world". In essence I was making the observation that MWI is only deterministic from a birds eye view, and makes no statement on how probabilities function within our individual world, and as such it would be best to say each individual world is indeterminate.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hybrid said:
What is your personally preferred interpretation of quantum mechanics?
I like MWI, it is simple and elegant.
Hybrid said:
Do you feel as though the Universe is deterministic or indeterminate?
That is philosophy, and I ignore philosophical discussions about the universe.
Hybrid said:
and makes no statement on how probabilities function within our individual world
There are no probabilities within a single world, because all measurements performed in the past have a certain outcome. People in this world can make theories about probabilities or amplitudes based on those observations.

Likes nikkkom
mfb said:
There are no probabilities within a single world, because all measurements performed in the past have a certain outcome. People in this world can make theories about probabilities or amplitudes based on those observations.

I could see your point up until you said this; I believe this statement to be a complete non sequitur. This is the same thing as me turning it on it's head and simply declaring that because we cannot be sure of the outcomes of future measurements, and can only determine the probability before hand, the world is inherently indeterminate.Therefore people in this world can only make theories or interpretations about the deterministic nature of the amplitudes, based on our observation.

Not to get into a philosophical debate here or be outwardly tendentious, but you're being locally incoherent. To explain further that's like me saying because the 2007 New England Patriots lost the Superbowl, that they never had any chance to win in the first place. This is known as circular reasoning and this is inherently not a very scientific means of arriving at a non-biased conclusion. You're begging the question, so to speak. Many religious types perform this same fallacy when defending their "faith". You're basically saying that because the world is deterministic their are no probabilities.

Also the error here is MWI does not say the single world is deterministic, only the total structure is deterministic, because all possibilities happen, somewhere. It doesn't say where, or how it would work however, and is agnostic on that point, and to say otherwise is a logical fallacy in itself. So as I said before it is deterministic only from a birds eye view, MWI is not deterministic in the since that our individual world itself is as it cannot predict(doesn't say anything about) the outcomes of the probability distribution.

So I presume we can agree to disagree, unless you or someone else has something to add?

Hybrid said:
but you're being locally incoherent
I am not.

I also think this discussion gets pointless. Read the MWI threads if you are interested in the topic.

Likes nikkkom
mfb said:
I am not..

No explanation as to why you feel that way?

mfb said:
I also think this discussion gets pointless. Read the MWI threads if you are interested in the topic.

I agree with you, and will do. Thanks again for the interesting discourse.

phinds said:
Uh ... what is a "reality time field"?
Something In progress and I meant to say reality field. Abstract quantum science. I,ll explain more later.

Endan Rarity said:
Something In progress and I meant to say reality field. Abstract quantum science. I,ll explain more later.
But please do be mindful of the PhysicsForums rule prohibiting speculative and personal theories that have not been published in an acceptable peer-reviewed journal...

Endan Rarity said:
If you do explain more later, take care that you are not violating the forum rules on personal theories.

Endan Rarity, looks like the QEnergySpa folks use the phrase "quantum reality field"... hoping your explanation has something else in mind? :)

Mentor note: removed link (also in quote below)

Last edited by a moderator:
bahamagreen said:
Endan Rarity, looks like the QEnergySpa folks use the phrase "quantum reality field"... hoping your explanation has something else in mind? :)
AAAACCCKKK ! I do hope that's not what he has in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hybrid said:
Would it always be identical?
Would it ever be identical?

Essentially with the current state of physics and taking quantum fluctuations into consideration, would it always be the same?

Is there motion at T=0?Another question:

If we restarted the Universe from the big bang and let it play out in accordance with Bohmian mechanics(or any other deterministic interpretation), would it then follow that everything would be exactly the same as it is now?
Or would it be different?

Apologies for the philosophical questions, but I'm wondering what modern physics has for an answer for this question specifically, and also what the majority of you think.

Thank you
I don't think there is an answer. But what I THINK is no, it would be different every time. To be the same, there have to be deterministic rules for things that I don't think there are rules for. Radioactive decay, in particular seems to be inherently unpredictable. It is JMO, but, for example, while the total C14 population must decay at a certain rate, the clock for an individual atom seems probabilistic, not mechanistic. Vacuum energy would also seem inherently unpredictable.

If there is an exact, deterministic rule for everything, then the Universe would only depend on the starting conditions at T=0. And despite the complexity, it would always be exactly the same. I don't think that is the case, though that is JMO. So if you are counting/surveying, I vote "no".

votingmachine said:
I don't think there is an answer. But what I THINK is no, it would be different every time. To be the same, there have to be deterministic rules for things that I don't think there are rules for. Radioactive decay, in particular seems to be inherently unpredictable. It is JMO, but, for example, while the total C14 population must decay at a certain rate, the clock for an individual atom seems probabilistic, not mechanistic. Vacuum energy would also seem inherently unpredictable.

If there is an exact, deterministic rule for everything, then the Universe would only depend on the starting conditions at T=0. And despite the complexity, it would always be exactly the same. I don't think that is the case, though that is JMO. So if you are counting/surveying, I vote "no".

Based on my research being an autodidact by choice, I have come to the same conclusion. So I am inclined to agree with you, but I would also like to add to your response that this is also due to the indeterminate behavior exhibited by the probability amplitude in quantum physics.

I was trying to say on page one that even in the many-worlds interpretation you still have a probabilistic amplitude in any given individual world. MWI is only deterministic from a birds eye diorama-esque perspective, due to all possibilities actualized playing out over "time". Depending on the Hamiltonian, time may be fundamental or static/nonexistent. In addition the worlds postulated within the MWI combine and branch off into the future, and this action is essentially random. Given the "real time" splitting and recombining of the worlds/universes of the MWI, it would seem as though MWI requires the Hamiltonian be greater than 0 within the "multiverse", ergo time is fundamental.

Now if the Hamiltonian is zero this would seem to indicate some strange sort of conspiracy in the sense that all these quantum events, things like radioactive decay as you mentioned, vacuum energy, etc are "preset" to appear probabilistic, and/or random, but they wouldn't be, because if the multiverse is static and unchanging given the Hamiltonian is 0. Unless I am confused or misinterpreting something, somewhere, in which case I would greatly appreciate it if someone with more knowledge could correct me and point out where my misunderstanding is.

Last edited:
votingmachine said:

As discussed before, there are deterministic interpretations of quantum mechanics.
Hybrid said:
I was trying to say on page one that even in the many-worlds interpretation you still have a probabilistic amplitude in any given individual world.
The amplitude is a well-defined number you can calculate.
Hybrid said:
it would seem as though MWI requires the Hamiltonian be greater than 0 within the "multiverse", ergo time is fundamental.
That doesn't make sense at all. Do you have a source for that claim?

mfb said:
As discussed before, there are deterministic interpretations of quantum mechanics.
Sure. But they are unproven. I understand there are deterministic positions and not-deterministic positions, and I gave mine. I must have missed something if the question required a proof of a system of laws that shows the Universe is deterministic. I cannot do that. I cannot even summarize all the available knowledge and theories. I took the question as an opinion poll.

Do you take the other position? I'm curious.

mfb said:

Yes and they're primarily MWI and Bohmian, the only others are time symmetric which could certainly be argued to be retro casual and as such, indeterminate or at the very least agnostic. As for many-minds, I consider that interpretation to bad pseudoscience(yes, I think there's good and bad pseudoscience), but a fun interpretation to think about none the less.

mfb said:
The amplitude is a well-defined number you can calculate.

Yes it is entirely deterministic in the sense that the probability amplitude is well defined. Second order differential equations with boundary conditions. The wave functions of the particles are determined, yes. However once you make a measurement for the location of the particle in relation to it's wave function it becomes probabilistic. In MWI there is no wave function, as everything happens(convenient), however in each individual world only one final objective measurement will be observed, and in that sense it is probabilistic within each individual world(universe), and only deterministic as a whole(the entire multiverse/many-worlds universe). I have no disagreement about the amplitude being well defined, I have a disagreement with statements claiming that the universe(or single world) is fully predetermined by initial conditions at t=0. When quantum mechanics is clearly probabilistic, among other things(random quantum fluctuations, radioactive atomic decay, the weather:-p, etc). Anyway my point is at the end of the day each single world in MWI would be probabilistic.

mfb said:
That doesn't make sense at all. Do you have a source for that claim?

Just an observation I made while thinking about it, no specific source to speak of. There are a a few working MWI models and eternal inflationary models which are in contrast to this, for example: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.5550v2.pdf and http://arxiv.org/pdf/1104.2324v2.pdf

In that paper Yasunori Nomura builds a static multiverse model where the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian is zero. However this still doesn't diminish what I said above about each world/universe being indeterminate throughout it's evolution, however the evolution of the quantum state of the entire multiverse is unitary and deterministic(as a whole). In his model you can take a selection condition at any moment in "time", which you interpret as t=0. You can then determine the state by solving the Schrodinger equation forward and backward in t. Albeit controversially he considers the eternally inflating multiverse and MWI to be one in the same.

Just to be sure I'm getting my point across I didn't mean to state that it must be that the MWI universe has to have a Hamiltonian greater than 0, only that it seems that way to me personally. As I said above in contrast to my perspective, I have offered an alternative idea.

Edit: In summary I agree in that the amplitude for the multiverse(in MWI) is well defined and you could predict anything as the evolution of the MW would be fully deterministic. However there is no means of knowing which branches will recombine and diverge/re-branch out into the future, and as such this would be random, along with vacuum energy fluctuations together adding credence to the idea that each world is still intrinsically indeterminate.

So as per my thread title I find the most likely answer to be "it would be different" rather than the same. Also MWI if you think about it logically is a gross violation of Occam's razor if you're talking about entities instead of laws.

Last edited:
It's possible that the universe can be deterministic and given the exact same initial conditions but still end up different. There is no way to know if the universe is entirely self contained or if there are things outside of the universe that affect the universe. In some versions of string theory, gravity can leak out of one universe and end up in another one.

votingmachine said:
Sure. But they are unproven. I understand there are deterministic positions and not-deterministic positions, and I gave mine. I must have missed something if the question required a proof of a system of laws that shows the Universe is deterministic. I cannot do that. I cannot even summarize all the available knowledge and theories. I took the question as an opinion poll.

Do you take the other position? I'm curious.
You cannot prove interpretations. Actually, you cannot prove anything in physics. Interpretations of quantum mechanics are purely a matter of taste, as we cannot distinguish between them by experiments.
Hybrid said:
In MWI there is no wave function
Okay, sorry to be so direct, but this statement shows you have no idea about MWI. It is exactly the opposite: in MWI, the wave function is everything that exists.

mfb said:
Actually, you cannot prove anything in physics.
I disagree with this.

mfb said:
Okay, sorry to be so direct, but this statement shows you have no idea about MWI.
It is exactly the opposite: in MWI, the wave function is everything that exists.

No worries, direct is the way to communicate. :smile:
I am aware of that and had meant to say in MWI there is no wave function *collapse*. I'm surprised you hadn't realized this is what I meant.

votingmachine said:
I disagree with this.
Then you would do well to study the scientific method a bit more. Proofs are for math, not physics. It is a fundamental tenet of science that for a theory to be viable is has to be falsifiable, thus there is never a proof that it is true.

If you disagree with this, then please state a theory in physics that you believe to have been proven absolutely true.

Likes mfb
phinds said:
Then you would do well to study the scientific method a bit more. Proofs are for math, not physics. It is a fundamental tenet of science that for a theory to be viable is has to be falsifiable, thus there is never a proof that it is true.

If you disagree with this, then please state a theory in physics that you believe to have been proven absolutely true.
I consider proving something false to be a proof. I understand theories and falsifiability. If I have a theory that heavier masses fall faster, you can prove that is wrong.

When you hold that proof is only to prove a positive you are making the word more limited than it is. The word "disprove" means to prove something is false. So a theory that has been proven absolutely true, is a false limitation. I can point to many that have been proven false.