If the universe is infinite or repeats, can "I" exist again?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of one's consciousness existing again in the future due to the infinite or repeating nature of the universe. The individual expresses fear at the thought of existing again with no knowledge of their previous existence. However, the conversation is closed as it goes against the guidelines of the forum to engage in personal unfounded speculation.
moonglow500
TL;DR Summary
Can the atoms that make up me come together again given enough time and create "me" again? Is it possible for the consciousness that I currently experience to ever exist again after my death?
If the universe is either infinite, or it repeats, then I would assume that it would be possible for my atoms to come together again at some incomprehensibly long amount of time after my death. If this were the case, would my consciousness that I am currently experiencing now ever exist again, or would it be like a clone? Also, if said clones life repeated exactly as mine is now with no differences at all, would it still be a clone's consciousness experiencing the new life, or would it actually be me since everything would be the same? The thought that I could possibly exist again at any point in the future with my current consciousness terrifies me, even though I would have no knowledge of having previously existed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of an experiment to test this? If not, this isn't science.

1. Will I exist again if the universe is infinite or repeats?

It is impossible to say for certain if you will exist again in an infinite or repeating universe. The concept of infinity is difficult for humans to comprehend, and we do not currently have enough evidence to determine if the universe is truly infinite. Additionally, the idea of the universe repeating itself is just a theory and has not been proven. Therefore, it is impossible to definitively say if you will exist again.

2. How would I exist again in an infinite universe?

If the universe is truly infinite, it is possible that the same exact conditions and events could occur again, leading to your existence once more. This is known as the "infinite monkey theorem" and suggests that given an infinite amount of time, anything that is possible will eventually happen again.

3. Would I be the same person if I existed again in a repeating universe?

If the universe were to repeat itself, it is likely that the same events and circumstances would occur, leading to the same version of you being born again. However, it is also possible that small variations could lead to a slightly different version of you. This is known as the "many-worlds interpretation" of quantum mechanics.

4. Can I control if I exist again in an infinite or repeating universe?

No, you would have no control over whether or not you exist again in an infinite or repeating universe. These concepts are based on the laws of physics and the natural progression of events, not on individual choices or actions.

5. Is there any evidence to support the idea of existing again in an infinite or repeating universe?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of existing again in an infinite or repeating universe. These are theoretical concepts that are still being explored and debated by scientists. As our understanding of the universe evolves, we may gain more insight into these ideas, but for now, they remain speculative.