If sequence {x} is in l2, does x_n<k/n follow?

In summary, the author tries to solve a problem but is stuck. He suggests looking for a counterexample on the edge of convergence-divergence and one person suggests a better solution.
jpe

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a sequence {x} = {x_1, x_2, ...} and we know that [itex]\{x\}\in\ell^2[/itex], i.e. [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n<\infty[/itex]. Does it follow that there exists a K>0 such that [itex]x_n<K/n[/itex] for all n?

Homework Equations

The converse is easy, [itex]\sum 1/n^2 = \pi^2/6[/itex], so there would be a finite upper bound for [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n<\infty[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck. I cannot think of a counterexample and my hunch is that it's true. I was hoping that maybe from [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n=L[/itex] for some L I could derive a bound for the elements of the sum involving the summation index, but to no avail so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had something like [itex]x_n = 1/\sqrt{n}[/itex], there would be no such [itex]K[/itex], right? Of course [itex]\sum x_n^2[/itex] doesn't converge in that case, but can you replace enough of the [itex]x_n[/itex]'s with 0 to achieve convergence?

jpe said:

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a sequence {x} = {x_1, x_2, ...} and we know that [itex]\{x\}\in\ell^2[/itex], i.e. [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n<\infty[/itex]. Does it follow that there exists a K>0 such that [itex]x_n<K/n[/itex] for all n?

Homework Equations

The converse is easy, [itex]\sum 1/n^2 = \pi^2/6[/itex], so there would be a finite upper bound for [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n<\infty[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck. I cannot think of a counterexample and my hunch is that it's true. I was hoping that maybe from [itex]\sum^\infty x^2_n=L[/itex] for some L I could derive a bound for the elements of the sum involving the summation index, but to no avail so far.

When you think about the p series$$\sum_1^\infty \frac 1 {n^p}$$you know that p=1 is the dividing line between convergence and divergence. So as soon as p > 1 even a little, you get convergence. You might be lulled into thinking that anything bigger than n in the denominator will give convergence because of this. But that is wrong because the series$$\sum_2^\infty \frac 1 {n\ln n}$$also diverges. The logarithm grows so slowly that it doesn't help enough to get convergence.

This is a roundabout way of suggesting that if you are looking for counterexamples right on the edge of convergence-divergence, a judicious use of logarithms in the formula might help.

I like jbunnii's suggestion better. Make a lot of terms in your series 0.

Yeah, that was a good suggestion indeed, it seems almost trivial now. Let {x} be given by
[itex] x_n=1/\sqrt{n}[/itex] if [itex]n=m^2[/itex] for some m, 0 else. So we would have x={1,0,0,1/2,0,0,0,0,1/3,0, ...} for the first few terms. Then:
[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty x_n^2 = \sum_{m=1}^\infty (1/\sqrt{m^2})^2=\sum 1/m^2=\pi^2/6[/itex], so [itex]x\in\ell^2[/itex]. However, assume there is a bound [itex]x_n\leq K/n[/itex] for all n. Look at the element with [itex]n=(K+1)^2[/itex]:
[itex]x_{(K+1)^2}=1/(K+1)=(K+1)/(K+1)^2>K/(K+1)^2[/itex]. Thus, K cannot have been a bound. Since K is arbitrary, no such K can exist, and we have found a counterexample!

Thanks for the input guys!

Related to If sequence {x} is in l2, does x_n<k/n follow?

1. What does it mean for a sequence to be in l2?

A sequence {x} is in l2 if the sum of the squares of its elements is finite. In other words, if the series Σ(xn)2 converges.

2. How is the sequence {x} related to the inequality xn < k/n?

The sequence {x} is related to the inequality xn < k/n by the fact that if {x} is in l2, then the inequality xn < k/n holds for all n greater than some positive integer N. In other words, the terms of the sequence eventually become smaller than any fixed multiple of 1/n.

3. What is the significance of the constant k in the inequality xn < k/n?

The constant k in the inequality xn < k/n is used to determine the rate at which the terms of the sequence {x} become smaller than 1/n. As k increases, the terms of the sequence must decrease at a faster rate in order to satisfy the inequality.

4. Does the inequality xn < k/n hold for all terms of the sequence {x}?

No, the inequality xn < k/n may not hold for all terms of the sequence {x}. It only needs to hold for all n greater than some positive integer N in order for the sequence to be in l2.

5. How is this question relevant to l2 convergence?

This question is relevant to l2 convergence because it helps determine whether a given sequence {x} is in l2 or not. If the inequality xn < k/n holds for all n greater than some positive integer N, then the sequence is in l2 and therefore converges in the l2 norm. If the inequality does not hold, then the sequence is not in l2 and does not converge in the l2 norm.