If science is an imitation of nature, what is the helicopter?

In summary, the helicopter rotates its rotor to create thrust which propels the aircraft forwards. There is a bug that flies similar to a helicopter, but it is not very likely. Science often mimics nature, but there is no need to do so all the time. The electric eel has a design that is very similar to the flagellum found in some bacteria.
dan020350
I was wondering today's how does the helicopter worked? Rotorcraft? I was wondering is their a bug that flys similar to the helicopter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is a big?

Opps

dan020350 said:
... I was wondering is their a bug that flys similar to the helicopter?

How likely do you think that is.

As to your title, why should science be an imitation of nature? Granted it IS often, but is there any reason it NEEDS to all the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
What is nature's version of a bicycle? Or telephone? Or extension cord?

Hmm I see

leroyjenkens said:
What is nature's version of a bicycle? Or telephone? Or extension cord?

Lol... natures version of a bicycle is a tough one. I can show you a "close to" nature version of a unicycle, though.

Remember... I said 'close to"... :biggrin:

Or telephone?

Close again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_pigeon

Or extension cord?

So shockingly close it's stunning... lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_eel

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you might be confusing engineering and technology with science. Its easy to mix the concepts up... Science seeks to describe and predict our observations with theories. Engineering and technology seek to created useful devices and schemes which are often informed by scientific theories and sometimes inspired by natural or biological phenomenon.

Some technologies actively try to mimic or take advantage of natural processes (see most of the world of biotech) but many do not. You could argue that we see capability in nature and try to invent a way of having the same capability (e.g. flight) but we rarely copy what occurs in nature because of obvious differences.

I was wondering is their a bug that flys similar to the helicopter?

Look up "Flagellum"

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flagellum_base_diagram_en.svg

A flagellum (plural: flagella) is a long, slender projection from the cell body, whose function is to propel a unicellular or small multicellular organism. The depicted type of flagellum is found in bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella, and rotates like a propeller when the bacterium swims.

Last paragraph of this link is as entertaining as the article is fascinating . Would paste it but when i try , it shows as a vertical column of individual letters.

http://www2.oakland.edu/oujournal/files/19_spermtail.pdf

Related to If science is an imitation of nature, what is the helicopter?

1. What do you mean by "science is an imitation of nature"?

Science is a systematic approach to understanding and explaining the natural world. It involves observing, experimenting, and analyzing natural phenomena in order to make predictions and develop theories. This process is based on the idea that the laws and principles governing the natural world can be understood and replicated through scientific methods.

2. How does the helicopter imitate nature?

The helicopter is a man-made flying vehicle that mimics the flight abilities of certain birds and insects. It uses rotating blades to create lift and can hover, move vertically, and fly in any direction. This design was inspired by the natural flight of birds and insects, which also use flapping or rotating wings to fly.

3. Can you give an example of how science has imitated nature in the development of the helicopter?

The earliest designs of the helicopter, such as Leonardo da Vinci's "aerial screw", were based on observations of natural flight. However, modern helicopters use a swashplate mechanism, which was inspired by the wing movements of dragonflies. This allows for more precise control and stability during flight.

4. Is the helicopter a perfect imitation of nature?

No, the helicopter is not a perfect imitation of nature. While it may replicate some aspects of natural flight, it also has many differences and limitations. For example, the helicopter is limited in its speed and maneuverability compared to birds and insects. Additionally, the materials and technology used in its construction are not found in nature.

5. How does understanding the principles of nature help in the development of technology like the helicopter?

Studying and observing nature allows scientists and engineers to gain a deeper understanding of the laws and principles that govern the natural world. This knowledge can then be applied to the design and development of new technologies, such as the helicopter. By imitating nature, we can create more efficient and effective inventions that benefit society.