If math and physics research had a baby....

In summary, the speaker is a student who will be applying to graduate programs in the fall with undergraduate degrees in both physics and math. They are struggling to decide which research field to pursue and are seeking advice. They are drawn to physics for its study of the fundamental nature of the world and to math for its problem-solving abilities. Their favorite courses have been quantum mechanics and real analysis. They are considering either mathematical theoretical physics or applied math and are open to advice on which would be a better fit for their interests. They have received suggestions to pursue a mathematical physics program or to have a secondary advisor in the other department. Ultimately, they are leaning towards a math department based on their interests in quantum mechanics and real analysis.
ExplosivePete
Hello. Next fall I shall be applying to graduate programs in the fall. I will be graduating with undergrad degrees in both physics and math. This has made it difficult for me to figure out where to go from here. I am hoping to get some insight of what research fields would be a good fit for me.

My attraction to physics is I love learning more about the fundamental nature of our world and learning about how things work. My attraction to math is I love solving problems in the structure of rigorous math. I see it as a powerful tool because it often produces general case answers that speak more about the fundamental nature of things rather than specific cases.

My favorite courses have been quantum mechanics and real analysis.

I'm not sure if mathematical theoretical physics or something like applied math. I'd love to hear your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I'm not an expert in either field, I would say go theoretical physics. You get the best of both worlds: Intense math that relates to the universe. Obviously, though, you could apply math to basically any form of physics.

There are mathematical physics programs in some graduate math departments.

Comeback City said:
Obviously, though, you could apply math to basically any form of physics.
And vice versa. It's really hard to tell which branch of mathematics is not used in physics. Maybe logic and number theory, but the latter is already on the brink. I once thought cohomology theory as purely mathematics, then I saw cosmology.

In some departments you can be coadvised by someone in the other department. For example, a physics student could have a secondary advisor in math. I think it may also work the other way around, but it depends on the programs. A lot of physics programs will let you work with someone in another department without any problems as long as you complete the degree requirements.

If you like quantum mechanics and real analysis, I'd suggest you go for a math department rather than a physics department.

I appreciate all the feed back.

Related to If math and physics research had a baby....

1. What would the baby be called?

The baby would likely be called "mathematical physics" or "mathematical sciences," as it would combine the two fields of math and physics.

2. What impact would the baby have on the scientific community?

The baby would have a significant impact on the scientific community as it would open up new avenues for research and collaboration between mathematicians and physicists. It would also lead to the development of new theories and applications in various fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and computer science.

3. How would this baby differ from traditional math and physics research?

This baby would differ from traditional math and physics research in that it would combine the two fields and utilize the strengths of each to tackle complex problems and phenomena. It would also require a multidisciplinary approach and a deeper understanding of both math and physics.

4. What potential breakthroughs could come from this baby?

The potential breakthroughs that could come from this baby are endless. It could lead to a better understanding of the universe, advancements in technology, and improved problem-solving techniques in various industries. It could also help bridge the gap between theoretical and applied mathematics and physics.

5. How could this baby benefit society?

This baby could benefit society in numerous ways. It could lead to the development of new technologies that could improve our daily lives, such as renewable energy sources, advanced medical treatments, and efficient transportation systems. It could also help us better understand and address global issues, such as climate change and resource management.